• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: November 20, 2009, 03:27:26 am
Airline ID: 33390
World ID: 1073
Current world year: 1956
Current bases: Baltimore (BWI)
DOC: €1,416,537
Forum code: http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/show_airline.php?id=33390&wid=1073
Goals: I just want to have some fun in the game - I'm not looking to be #1 (not likely at this point anyway), and to learn a bit more about playing.

Is there any purpose of intra-city flights (like London Heathrow to London Gatwick), besides maxing out plane hours?  I've seen a few people using them (including myself), and I often see that they only have 1 frequency on these routes.

Also, is it frowned upon to have a base in the same metropolitan area as another one of your bases?  I'm contemplating adding another base, but I'm not sure where the best location would be (I've considered Washington Dulles and Chicago Midway).  I've noticed that there aren't a lot of small airports to fly into, and that some regions have fewer airports than others.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:45:40 am by Arcanum »
Freedom Air - World 1073World 1217
ID: 33390

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:32:28 am
YOu got it right with the intra city flights, most are used like you described.

AFAIK having two bases in the same metro area is fair game. whatever floats your boat is right in this domain because anyone has the same number of possible bases.

And for your last question, i can't give you a definite answer. It all comes down to how you wish to play. Washington-Dulles is a big airport with a good number of airports around it to fly to. Chicago-Midway tends to be overlooked as it is much smaller than O'Hare, but that means that basing here means you won't have lots of people to compete with.

Alouette Aviation - Österreichische Wetterstrecken - Blå Løve Luftveje - Imperskiye Nebesa

Arcanum

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:04:45 pm
Thank you for the response Shawa! That was very helpful.

I just have one more question.  Is it possible to fly routes like this, using only 0.5 frequencies, with two hubs?  Right now I can only operate two 0.5 routes per aircraft (and two n.5 flights per route).
A -> B -> C -> D
(A and C are hubs)

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found out the answer.  :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:08:11 pm by Arcanum »

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 01:04:53 am
glad to help

Alouette Aviation - Österreichische Wetterstrecken - Blå Løve Luftveje - Imperskiye Nebesa

steventommyobama

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 01:19:21 am
I've hubbed at Dulles and Midway- I'd go with Dulles by far!  Easier for Europe/Central America and key northeastern cities!

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 05:45:37 am
He already has Baltimore/Washington for that. and anyway central america in a large world doesn't have much airports so it's not a priority. And it's a Mid 50's woorld, so jets are still not that good If there are any. The 707 won't come out for a few years and there' only so much you can do with a tu-104. So actually in his situation considering a Midwest base is not entirely stupid.

steventommyobama

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 01:03:48 pm
Not saying it's stupid at all

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 03:50:12 pm
I was not saying you said it was stupid. It's just a french saying we have around here.

steventommyobama

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 03:56:21 pm
Parlez vous francais?

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 04:26:09 pm
oui. En fait l'anglais est ma deuxième langue. Je reste à Québec.

steventommyobama

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 04:54:10 pm
oui. En fait l'anglais est ma deuxième langue. Je reste à Québec. Does that mean.  Yes.  If fact English is my second language.  I live in Quebec?   CANADA

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 10:12:19 pm
Yep :P I live in Québec City, Qc, Canada.

Arcanum

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 10:28:36 pm
Thanks to both of you for your responses.  :)

I've chosen Chicago Midway for now, but I might pick Washington Dulles later on.  Chicago gives me easier access to the West Coast, and I would like to add more destinations without having to spend 20 million on a mid-sized plane to get to Europe/Central America from BWI.  Hopefully it will go well!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:08:13 pm by Arcanum »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk