Airline Mogul Forum

Question re: Maintenance

D-ABTH

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: October 19, 2009, 06:21:03 pm
Couldn't find this in the Game rules: does the age and number of cycles/hours of an aircraft in any way affect maintenance costs etc. in the game? In other words, is there something to be gained from replacing an old aircraft with a new one of the same type? In reality there would be, but I'm not about to spend my cash on it if that has no effect in the game.

On that note, it amuses me to no end that it is possible on any given route to beat a competitor by using a much smaller plane, yet charging higher fares! I suppose the calculus of the game works such that there is only x number of premium customers willing to pay a certain price and to get more customers you have to charge less, so if I fly, say a Do328 on a route I can basically fill up the plane with all the premium customers, while the poor bloke who is using a 757 on that route has to lower his prices way down to fill up his plane. That has a certain logic to it, but in reality I can't see why any passenger would pay premium to fly on a small turboprop when he can have the comfort and speed of a 757. Any way this could be adjusted in the game? It would be interesting insofar as it would add a twist to the competition aspect, forcing competitors to have the latest and most comfortable equipment on a given route. It would prevent people with BAC-111s from usurping customers from others operating A320s on the same route.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:16:19 pm
Couldn't find this in the Game rules: does the age and number of cycles/hours of an aircraft in any way affect maintenance costs etc. in the game? In other words, is there something to be gained from replacing an old aircraft with a new one of the same type? In reality there would be, but I'm not about to spend my cash on it if that has no effect in the game.
Cycles and airframe hours were implemented in the first round of maintenance changes. They do not currently affect the maintenance costs in game. With regard to strategy for replacing aircraft, check the strategy section. :)

On that note, it amuses me to no end that it is possible on any given route to beat a competitor by using a much smaller plane, yet charging higher fares! I suppose the calculus of the game works such that there is only x number of premium customers willing to pay a certain price and to get more customers you have to charge less, so if I fly, say a Do328 on a route I can basically fill up the plane with all the premium customers, while the poor bloke who is using a 757 on that route has to lower his prices way down to fill up his plane. That has a certain logic to it, but in reality I can't see why any passenger would pay premium to fly on a small turboprop when he can have the comfort and speed of a 757. Any way this could be adjusted in the game? It would be interesting insofar as it would add a twist to the competition aspect, forcing competitors to have the latest and most comfortable equipment on a given route. It would prevent people with BAC-111s from usurping customers from others operating A320s on the same route.
The economic model used by AM has also been discussed in the strategy section. While we don't say its perfect, its an ever changing model but generally we cannot make significant changes to the game as it is always running. The old AM system where one game ran at any one time worked a little better on this front as we could shut the lot down and make big changes, that is simply not possible anymore.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:31:38 pm
AFAIK the pricing algorithm is the following.

5000 peple want to to go from a to b and are willing to pay various prices.

Airline X puts a 737 on said route. In order to have it's aircraft at full capacity, it needs to put the price of the tickets at 500$ taking the 130 clients willing to pay the highest price

Airline Y gets in the market with a 50 passenger aircraft. There's now capacity for 170 passengers on the route.

So Highest passenger 1 goes with Airline X, Highest Passenger 2 goes with Airline Y. and so on

So in order to fill it's airlplane Airline X will need to lower it's price. But Airline Y can set a higher price because it needs less people on it's aircraft for it to be full.

I don't know the exact formula, but i think it's how it works.

Basically the market is demand driven.

Alouette Aviation - Österreichische Wetterstrecken - Blå Løve Luftveje - Imperskiye Nebesa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk