Airline Mogul Forum

dumping capacity

flyjoe72

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: June 28, 2009, 12:20:39 am
What's the best way to counter somebody that is dumping capacity in a market?  Now I'm not talking about somebody doing for competitive or retaliatory reasons, but one that is just plain puzzling?  I'm in W645 and there's an airline ranked 141 out of 757.  So they're big, but not a mega airline.  They are doing crazy things like putting 5  Bombardier Q-400s (Dash 8-400) on a market like PHL-Harrisburg, 4 Q-400s from PHL-Altoona, in addition to four or five other airlines already hubbed in PHL.  There's also similar things where three 717s in a mid-size market.

So what's the best way to handle it?  I'm not going to dump multiple A-321s to kill their yield, because the return would be minimal at best.   So do I just suck it up, scratch my head, and move on?  Thanks

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 01:00:18 am
Often people do this to emulate real world airlines. You could try sending them a friendly message asking them to stop. However, in the end, there are no rules against it. You either take the lower fares, close the routes and try other ones, or move to another base.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk