Airline Mogul Forum

How do I turn a profit?

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
  • Please refrain from using ethnic slurs.
    • View Profile
on: August 12, 2010, 06:27:04 am
Airline ID: 43971
World ID: 1609
Current world year: 1994
Current bases: San Diego International
DOC: € 49,143

I'm at a loss, both literally and figuratively. My DOC is just under $50,000, but with my gate rental fees at 650K, I just don't know how I'm expected to turn a profit when any amount of money I make is just going to be taken away every day. Can someone give me a walkthrough?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:04:06 am by TheKevinShow »

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:44:11 am
Nevermind this. It seems I just needed to let the game do its work, and despite gate costs of €550,000, I'm going to turn a profit of €634,334.

LostWorld

• Administrator
  • Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:35:56 am
You may find reading the game manual Click will help with small things like when money will be taken from your account and why. It will also give some hints and tips as to how you can make more profit (and that's always a good thing).

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:42:48 am
Yeah, I've started messing around with prices and in addition to massively overcharging for food (my prices range between 35 and 40 euros) I've messed with the routes and my profit margin is now up to almost 800K.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 03:00:54 pm

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 06:16:44 am
Well, as far as I can tell, I'm still running a profit, but can some of the more experienced minds take a look at my airline and tell me what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong?

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:25:09 am
what I'm doing wrong?

Multiple frequencies and inadequate plane usage, for starters. That is, with those two planes, you should be able to fly to about 30-35 airports (all with 1-frequency).

Planet Express Airways

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 06:35:08 am
At this point, do you think it'd be worthwhile to try to build another focus city? I'm thinking of Tucson, maybe.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:19:19 am by TheKevinShow »

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 07:15:57 pm
At this point, do you think it'd be worthwhile to try to build another focus city? I'm thinking of Tucson, maybe.

Before you open a second focus city, you want to have a DOC high enough to do two things...

* Purchase enough planes to fly at least 31 routes from your new focus city (ideally, 40)
* Synchronize delivery of those planes so that as soon as they are delivered, you can create a new focus city--which means having enough cash to purchase 4 gates (or 3 if you already have a gate rented there) and the fee to create the focus city (60x the gate rental cost)

Planet Express Airways

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk