Airline Mogul Forum

A survay

Bobandirus

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: May 28, 2008, 11:55:40 pm
Just out of sheer interest, I want to see how people reply to this.
In the area which you live, how many amenities do you have within these 4 ranges, 1mile, 5 miles, 10 miles, and in your suburb, because I know that some American suburbs can be very large.
Also, in the area that you live, would you say that you are deprived? I would like 2 views on this. Would you say that you are deprived on the fact that you have not a lot to do, i.e., the only thing in 1 mile of you is a Post Box, and are you deprived on how your life is, like do you live in a very green are, and like it, or do you live in a clean city, and like it like that? Do you think that you can do what you want where you live, or possibly do it in a reasonable drive?
In the country which you live, do you live in an area of high income, or low income, and is the local housing cost high relative to the rest of your country, or low relative to the rest of your country? Where does your country compare to the rest of the world in GDP?
One last question, do you think that the rest of your country is better off than you, and do you want to move to the rest of your country?

Now , Tiverton (where I live :P )!
In 1 mile of me, all there is, is a post-box. 5 miles are 11 crappy small versions of national chains, with a few local shops, and 10 miles is exactly the same.
I think that I am deprived in the ability to do stuff. The local cinema shut down, so I have to travel 30 miles to get to the local cinema and good national shops. I am not deprived in the grass around where I live, there is plenty of grass and trees!
The area which I live has one of the lowest incomes of the country, but the highest house prices of the country, many thanks to the way that the social structure is in this country. England’s GDP is quite high afaik. I’m not too sure if I would like to move, because everything is a reasonable travelling distance on the bus from here. I think that the rest of the country is better off than the rest of here, because it is a local tradition to laugh at the ‘grockels’ that come from London, who only use their houses and boats for a few weeks in the summer a year.

Now.... how about the rest of you??

EXTspotter

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:57:54 am
Whahey - you live in Tiverton :p

I live in the suburbs of Newton Abbot

Within 1 mile there are just houses and lots of trees and a solitary postbox.

5 Miles there is a load of things, town centres of Newton Abbot, Teignmouth (like Tivvy) and Torquay along with all the associated large out of town shops and other amenities, like 2 (small) Cinemas, as well as a load of transport links, including 4 Train Stations and lots of tourist attractions and all the beaches :D. Same area as Bob, very low income and the highest house prices in the country (apart from London) due to people buying 2nd homes and driving the prices up so that local people can't easily buy here. The touristy amenities are a double edged sword in my opinion, they bring in money, but only for 1 month a year, employment is mainly seasonal and the house prices are too high.
ho said aviation sites were sexist?

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:33:07 am
Quote from: "Bobandirus"
In the area which you live, how many amenities do you have within these 4 ranges, 1mile, 5 miles, 10 miles, and in your suburb, because I know that some American suburbs can be very large.
Also, in the area that you live, would you say that you are deprived? I would like 2 views on this. Would you say that you are deprived on the fact that you have not a lot to do, i.e., the only thing in 1 mile of you is a Post Box, and are you deprived on how your life is, like do you live in a very green are, and like it, or do you live in a clean city, and like it like that? Do you think that you can do what you want where you live, or possibly do it in a reasonable drive?
In the country which you live, do you live in an area of high income, or low income, and is the local housing cost high relative to the rest of your country, or low relative to the rest of your country? Where does your country compare to the rest of the world in GDP?
One last question, do you think that the rest of your country is better off than you, and do you want to move to the rest of your country?
Now.... how about the rest of you??

Do you think that you can do what you want where you live, or possibly do it in a reasonable drive?

I would say Im 50/50. Walking downhill is really easy, but walking uphill is a nightmare. Unless my father is going to lift me downhill and uphill or I can take a bus / minibus (i.e. a smaller version of bus )

Well, I live in an area of middle-high income.
Secondly, I live in HK. If your q. include Mainland China, our local housing cost (buying) is REALLLY HIGH (ranging from 0.6m (Somewhere on a remote Island) to more than 100m. :( )
For leasing, the rate ranges from 3k(which is VERY rare) to 500k.
GDP (PPP) 2007 estimate
 -  Total US$292.8 billion (38th)
 -  Per capita US$41,994 (10th)
GDP (nominal) 2007 estimate
 -  Total US$206.7 billion (37th)
 -  Per capita US$29,650 (27th)

As I've said before, my family is sort of middle-high income family.I think its very good for me.

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:28:49 pm
Live in Charny, Qc, just south of Québec City

Mail box and corner store whitin 1km

Grocery stores, Cinepelx, Hockey arena, swimming pool, and all that within 5km

Downtown québec is 15 km from home more or so

Alouette Aviation - Österreichische Wetterstrecken - Blå Løve Luftveje - Imperskiye Nebesa

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:07:54 am
okay.... I live in Seattle. The residents of our area along with the politicians personally hate subarbs, so we dont really have sprawling subarbs. The only major subarb is Bellevue, but that is considered one of four major cities in the Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue-Everett area. I live in what is considered an upscale neigberhood, since it has some of the highest affordable prices in Seattle. (However, all the people who live here have worked like crazy to get here, unlike the other posh places where there already all rich :roll:). There are several small local stores, with two much larger upscale chain stores in a one mile radius. In a five mile radius, you have 2 huge outdoor style mall areas, hundreds or restaurants and shops. 10 miles, and your way past down town. Seattle is quite small, but the population density is very high... something like 6000 people per square mile. I like the area, great access to everywhere and in a little more than 25 minutes, you can be in a thick forest outside of seattle. :)
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

blumage

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 06:14:53 am
I live in Milan,Italy as I get down the road I'll find a SuperMarket,Post Office and Etc. Malls here are crappy so i don't usually go there(95% of them are located outside the city)
The only is La Rinascente but that's like Harrods so you can expect the high prices. The city Centre and main Shopping area which is also the historic and cultural area is just 30 mins away from my house with public transport. It involves taking the bus for 5-10min to the nearest underground station then it will be a 15 min ride to Duomo. For the movies I usually go there but it's not the nearest to my home. What can you expect from a city?There are only a few things that i complain about the city but for the rest it's good.Compared to what people earn the house here are really expensive. House prices here are among the highest in the country, unlike Rome where house prices are the highest as we move in closer to the centre of the city, in Milan prices are high even in the suburban areas.(including nearby towns)
We're for sure better off than the rest of the country.Milan is the financial city of Italy where all the business is done unlike the more agricultural south and the tourist trap which is Rome. Something that the Italian Govt and Alitalia didn't understand by moving Alitalia's hub to Fiumicino airport in Rome. People go to Rome based on Seasonal periods while people always travel to Milan to work or do Business. Alitalia's move anyway did only good giving the North what it truly deserve, a right to grow and expand which was basically halted by Alitalia's inability to operate efficiently. I remember those days where it flew almost everywhere.
Regarding the Italian economy it remained stagnant for a long period now with GDP up by only 0.3% we're basically the Sick Man of Europe.There are many problems to tackle which I doubt that the govt can handle. Politician  work only for their Interests. Especially like what's happening now. The newly elected PM Silvio Berlusconi is using his power to save his TV station CH4 from being moved to Satellite. The govt here should focus more on Education,Health and Labor. Where I live might be one of the best part of the country if we compare the services offered but it's really bad in terms of pollution. All in All I'll move out of Italy as soon as i get the chance which might only happen when I'm done with my studies. Italy is great for tourism but not a nice country to live in.

ID 5228
And if we like to over do things just Imagine what is like to be our Guest!
Proud Member of BlueSkies

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:36:38 am
I live in Ringe, on the island of Funnen, Denmark.
In 1 mile of my home we have 2 public schools, 1 boarding school, 1 lake, lots of shops, lots of supermarkets (German and Danish), cinema, train station, lots of German and Dutch turists in the summer. Theres lots of cows and horses too. Within 100 meters is the high school. No after schoolactivities / clubs for teenagers though.
The town is very green, and clean. It is afterall located on the countryside, with fields and forests all around. I like sailing, and im a sea scout, and thus its a 30 min drive in car, or 50 mins by train and bycycle to the harbour. I refuse to ride the bus, coz a bus driver once made up a rule for me that i could not take my bycycle into the bus, despite the bus comany having a campaign for people to bring their bike onto the bus. :roll:
House prices in the area were very low when we bought the house, but when the motorway was completed a few months later, the house prices rose like mad, and unlike most other parts of Denmark, they are still rising.
Dont know a whole lot about income, but i suppose it is around average, just like most of Denmark.
Problems in the city:
Drivers who cannot drive, as ive been run down by bitches on their mobile phone 2 times this year
Alkohol. Teenages who have grown up in the area drink like mad when they party. As a result, the town looks like a mess every saturday morning...(only this morning had someone let 5 horses out of their pen, so they walked about in the town :lol: )
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

zkvac

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • granturismoworld.piczo.com
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 10:52:07 am
Well, I'm in Wellington, NZ, in a suburb called Seatoun. Wellington is a very compact city, 400,000 odd people live here, but you can walk from one end of the CBD to the other in about 30mins. Seatoun is about 5 mins from the airport (handy as my parents work there), 3-4 mins from my school (I get to sleep in :D ) and 10-15 min drive from the centre of the CBD. Wellington is often referred to as a smaller version of San Francisco.

In the area which you live, how many amenities do you have within these 4 ranges, 1mile, 5 miles, 10 miles, and in your suburb

We measure in kms here, so:

1km:
The Beach!
A very, very low security prison, with a big farm where we walk the dogs (strange for a fairly 'well-off' suburb).

5km:
Wellington International (NZWN). Largest aircraft to fly there regularly are ANZ A320s and RNZAF 757-200's. Lots of ANZ/Qantas/Pacific Blue 733/738's.
A big pool, more beaches etc

10km
Wellington city. More restaurants/bars/cafes per capita than NYC.

Also, in the area that you live, would you say that you are deprived? I would like 2 views on this. Would you say that you are deprived on the fact that you have not a lot to do, i.e., the only thing in 1 mile of you is a Post Box, and are you deprived on how your life is, like do you live in a very green are, and like it, or do you live in a clean city, and like it like that?

Do I have a lot to do? Yes. Everything in Wellington is no more than an hours drive away, and there's a hell of a lot to do here.

Is my 'quality of life' good? Yes. Because Welly is pretty windy (we are coming into winter now, and it's either perfect, still, clear and cool, or blowing 50 knots from the south, straight from Antarctica) it blows whatever pollution there may be away, so it's very clean and green here.

Do you think that you can do what you want where you live, or possibly do it in a reasonable drive?

Most Certainly. Wellington's a very compact city, without being crowded, which is great.

In the country which you live, do you live in an area of high income, or low income, and is the local housing cost high relative to the rest of your country, or low relative to the rest of your country?

High Income I guess. House prices are high all over, but exceptionally high here as we're right by the sea.

Where does your country compare to the rest of the world in GDP?

Per capita, fairly well.

No. :P
Public World #2119 - VincentAir (Australasia)

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 03:29:34 pm
ohhhh, I forgot, Seattle has the 2nd highest number of coffee shops per sq mile/kilometer in the world. (The first in Anchorage, but thats becuase there so small)
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk