Airline Mogul Forum

Runway length?

edidiot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: May 21, 2008, 03:29:01 pm
Hi all, does AM simulate airport runway lengths. i.e. can you not land a 747 at a short field airport?

cheers

ed

killian320

• Airline Operative
  • Killiarney :P
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:35:10 pm
Moved to general chat.

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 03:37:09 pm
No, not currently.

I guess this cannot change until data is gathered on rwy types for a few thousand airports and requirements for hundreds os planes.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 03:41:08 pm
It is the plane data that we lack. No one wants to go back and go through the JAWA again~
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

edidiot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 09:56:35 pm
Would it not be possible to at least class aircraft in very board groups. i.e STOL, RJ, Light, Medium, Heavy. It obviously still would not be perfect but it would stop someone landing a Jumbo Jet in Dundee. That said does smaller airports having less available pax kinda make this a silly thing to do anyway? Sorry if I'm butting in where a noob shouldn't by the way.

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:20:05 pm
dktc will certainly answer your main question far batter than I possibly could. As for the rest...

Yes, in a way, it is a silly thing to do in this game. Not that it prevents many players from trying. :lol: Jumbos are, in this game as in real life, quite expensive beasts. Flying them to small airports is a sure way to loose money.

That said, many people (myself included) are taking HS Tridents pretty much everywhere. This plane allows two complete meals to be served before it manages to take off.

Also, if/when runway restrictions are implemented, the chasm between big and small airports may widen further. In worlds with players in the thousands that might lead everyone to try to base at LHR sized airports... Not to mention the purists asking for altitude/temperature to be taken into consideration. :roll:

Mosha

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 02:11:43 am
Ward Air Canada did used to fly into Leeds/Bradford with a 747, and that was before the runway was extended. However it did have to fly down to Birmingham for a fuel stop on departure. Even then all of the runway was used on take off, very much seat of the pants flying.
Regards, Steve

Now no one can afford to fly

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk