Airline Mogul Forum

Forum Registration Requirements

hpscot08

• Administrator
  • Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: April 09, 2007, 05:28:50 am
In order to stem the tide of spam-botting on these forums, an administartor permission is now required after signing up before you can post.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:40:40 am
I left a list of steps to mitigate spambots in the older thread about cleaning up the forums from these fiends. If those are in place you should be able to remove administrative permissions...  I know hpscot you likely cannot access the server, just stating for the record that simple mods to the account creation page of phpbb can be pretty effective in killing these spambots before they start.

Here they are again:

1) made a default field hidden. If any data comes through: die
2) moved a default field far, far off screen using a DIV. If any data comes through: die
3) Changed the name of the 'email' field to 'craig' or another non sequiter
4) Added another 'email' field in a off-screen DIV. Any data comes through: die.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

hpscot08

• Administrator
  • Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 07:43:04 am
Ya, I attempted to backup the files earlier and add a spambot, though that didn't go so well because I don't have access to the forums files. This is just a preventative measure until Stephen gets back and we add on the new spam blockers I have found.

d1-3508

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 11:11:03 am
Thanks for that. Hopefully this will cut down the number of fake users, but add more work for us...
EO of Pacfic Blue, ID 302.
Senior Editor of AMM (Airline Mogul Magazine)
2nd Most Southerly Member in the game.
No longer an admin.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:31:30 pm
Quote from: "hpscot08"
Ya, I attempted to backup the files earlier and add a spambot, though that didn't go so well because I don't have access to the forums files. This is just a preventative measure until Stephen gets back and we add on the new spam blockers I have found.

Time to give Rick a pay rise. ;) I'll be back in action this Sunday and I need to have a serious word with you then!
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk