Airline Mogul Forum

What's the actual benefit of being in an alliance?

jml0335

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: February 27, 2008, 05:17:35 pm
Soory to sound rude, but is there actually a purpose to alliances? I've searched th manual, but it doesn't say. Other than prestige, is it actually worth joining one?

Thanks in advance!
Management of TransCaribbeanInternational
img]http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9549/transcarribeancopyhh2.jpg[/img]

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:20:35 pm
It depends on your goals. Alliances allow you, as well as other alliance members, to use a certain (up to 25) flights from all bases owned by alliance members. That's pretty much the only in-game benefit, as well as possible downside. Out-of-the-game, some alliances have official game brokers on their memberlist, who can get you first bids on used airplanes or new airplane orders, as well as lower markups for brokerage orders. Also, alliance members might be able to help out if you have a conflict with another airline, or if you just need some good advice.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 05:21:45 pm
Oh, and moved to General Chat.

jml0335

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 05:25:48 pm
Thank you very much for the help!

(sorry for putting it in the wrong place! :oops: )
img]http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9549/transcarribeancopyhh2.jpg[/img]

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 05:27:31 pm
No problem :)

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:56:25 pm
Alliances give you the chance to operate flights from your alliance member's hubs as alliance flights. Different ones have differnet policies, though try to becareful which one you join, particularly when it comes to larger ones, as those will usually result on the largerst alliance ally coming in and flooding your base with larger planes and competing with you on routes that they wouldn't have been otherwise.

I recall there was a small LF boost, nothing huge, but somewhat noticable. I'm not sure if this is still in effect or ever was put into effect.

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 06:03:15 pm
Quote from: "LOT 737-300"
Alliances give you the chance to operate flights from your alliance member's hubs as alliance flights. Different ones have differnet policies, though try to becareful which one you join, particularly when it comes to larger ones, as those will usually result on the largerst alliance ally coming in and flooding your base with larger planes and competing with you on routes that they wouldn't have been otherwise.

Depending on how strict your alliance makes their rules, that is definitely true.

I recall there was a small LF boost, nothing huge, but somewhat noticable. I'm not sure if this is still in effect or ever was put into effect.

I think it was planned but not implemented, not sure on that though.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 06:32:37 pm
Quote from: "MrOrange"
Quote from: "LOT 737-300"

I think it was planned but not implemented, not sure on that though.

It is in effect, and is in place, however it doesn't affect the order in which things are processed so the up to 20% boost in demand isn't the greatest assistance at the moment.  Depending on how it compounds, it can be helpful, and can smooth out a little the tiny planes hopping on a route.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Sheep Air

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 06:37:15 pm
It depends on the alliance. Within my alliance, which has strict joining criteria, we have limits on how many routes we can each operate from an alliance base, to stop large members stomping on other members, but not all alliances do this. It lets you expand your route network around the world, if you get big enough to need that expansion, or increase gate utilisation within a continent. We've been laughed at in the past for the fact we do allow free competition between members on some types of routes, but it works for us, two rounds running as largest alliance :)

Generally, Alliance members will hand-me-down or broker aircraft as well, at below market cost, and if involved in route wars, it's sometimes nice to be able to call in support from fellow alliance members - that doesn't happen too often but it's there if we need it... There is always someone with a spare large plane they can devote to ruining a route ;)

travismb99

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 07:23:12 pm
Yes, one of the biggest benefits is friendly assistance, especially within an alliance.

As SheepAir said, good alliances will have bigger members offering cheap lease/sales to smaller members to help them grow, and will provide coordination for competitive issues so as to minimize fare warring. That makes it more fun for everyone... faster growth, less stupid hassle.
acific Southwest Airlines - W10 - Catch our smile - ICAO:PS/#8304

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 07:34:11 pm
Edited two posts above me - Reason: No advertisement allowed outside the alliance forum.

Honestly, I don't have anything against your alliance, it's just against forum rules.

Sheep Air

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 08:23:14 pm
Apologies - but we are a closed alliance, so we don't advertise. We did say strict! ;)

OTOH, since we'd made ourselves out to be such a paragon of an alliance, probably as well you edited - it gets embarrassing saying no all the time  :oops:

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 08:27:27 pm
Quote from: "Sheep Air"
Apologies - but we are a closed alliance, so we don't advertise. We did say strict! ;)

OTOH, since we'd made ourselves out to be such a paragon of an alliance, probably as well you edited - it gets embarrassing saying no all the time  :oops:

Accepted :) I can't make exceptions to forum rules though, as you know.

Thanks_for_the_upgrade

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 11:16:19 pm
The greatest benefit I've found is when the other members lend you a hand.  When I started last round I had several private offers for 50% on planes.  Later on in the round when I need a 707 or 747 in a pinch, they again came through and sold me several of their used jumbo jets at 50%.
UnderwAir [6] - Est. 1969.   (hehe, 69)

Air2000

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 11:54:31 pm
I think they are good especially if you want to expand onto long haul...

imagine your a EU based airline, and a fellow member is based in the US, lets say at JFK.

By purchasing a gate at JFK you are able to fly to any destination from JFK you wish, (providing... you have gates there!) (up to 25 in total)

it could help you utilise your gates in the EU, especially the more expensive gates, such as, for e.g. LHR FRA CDG etc etc......

some alliances have rules/regs/terms, for e.g. you cant set up flights from an alliance base if the airline based at that airport already operates that route.

some alliance will refuse to allow airlines in if there hubs conflict with existing airline
img]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/dippidydanny/iberia2_h1.jpg[/img]
Iberia
You can find us in Round 3!
Bases: Palma (PMI) Malaga (APG) Madrid (MAD)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk