Airline Mogul Forum

Regional Airlines

RAYON · 15 · 2836

RAYON

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: February 17, 2008, 09:20:05 am
I am new to this game and wonder what you think of this stratagy?

Small Airlines who focus on 1 area of the United States!!
I am going to focus ONLY on Souther California and see how it goes:

Airport Goals!

350K rent
LAX 61,487K

250K rent
SAN 17,372K

150K rent
SNA 9,627K
ONT 7,210K+
BUR 5,521K

100K's
LGB 3,034K

50Ks
SBA 895K
PSP 410K
SBP 349K
OXR 43K~ Oxnard Airport handling approximately 100,000 arrivals and/or departures a year see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxnard_Airport

VNY 1,167~Van Nuys Airport is the world's busiest general aviation airport and the 25th busiest airport in the world!!!
see, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Nuys_Airport

SBD 230~60,000 see http://www.sbdairport.com/airport_services/passengerservices.htm
AVX 63

While I was doing this I found some flaws in your numbers correct them plz!!

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:09:42 am
Usually the ingame airports are airports with commercial passenger service (not GA ones). I could not find data for both mentioned in the list below (but I noticed that there are still some missing in the game :roll: in game US airports: 497; airports in the list: 566 )

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/airports/planning_capacity/passenger_allcargo_stats/passenger/media/cy06_primary_np_comm.pdf

If you have accurate passenger numbers for these airports feel free to send a PM to the staff including a reliable source where you got these data from.

BTW: The number 60,000 for SBD you gave is the number of operations - not the pax numbers we have in the game.
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

warreng24

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 06:54:23 pm
I've found that most of the intra-California markets get really really saturated by the larger airlines that try to dominate the market.  Usually they run these routes at a loss.
irXpress (ID: 1955)
Flying only Round-Trips....

RAYON

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:10:15 pm
Oh well was worth a shot which markets tend to be ignored?? By the major airlines

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 04:18:32 pm
Quote from: "RAYON"
Oh well was worth a shot which markets tend to be ignored?? By the major airlines

Well, pick a 50,000 EUR per gate airport and chose such airports as your destinations. You will probably never see any competition entering your routes.

Disadvantage:
You wont make much money or you may lose money. :shock:

At the beginning of the next round dont be afraid of the competition. Pick an airport of your choice (above 10,000,000 pax) as your base and start creating your route network. Do not start long hauls in the first year. Connect ALL the airports close around to your base - REGARDLESS of their size. This is a good start. You may visit my airline (ID:5980) in the game and take a look at the route network. Central America is almost red by all the routes I have there. I do not have all CA airports connected to my bases yet - but there is still some time to do this :wink:  Advantage for connecting the smallest airports to your base: in many cases your competitors start to connect those after mid-round. You will have gained a lot money from those routes until you have to lower the fares. Fares between bigger airports usually rush down very soon.

If you are a beginner do NOT start your business at the major airports in Europe, North America or Asia. I am sure you will be frustrated soon. Learn from your business at smaller airports (10M pax). When you think you are smart enough you may chose a bigger one.

Gustavo

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 04:49:52 pm
Quote from: "AirHanoverInternational"

If you are a beginner do NOT start your business at the major airports in Europe, North America or Asia.

I don't know why you guys think South America is that piece of cake. I don't know about N. America and Europe, but on Competitors/Passegner proportion, South America is harder than Asia, for sure. Lots of brazilians playing this game.
img]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1553/logonordestefinalgifjr4.gif[/img]

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 05:17:13 pm
Quote from: "Gustavo"

If you are a beginner do NOT start your business at the major airports in Europe, North America or Asia.

I don't know why you guys think South America is that piece of cake. I don't know about N. America and Europe, but on Competitors/Passegner proportion, South America is harder than Asia, for sure. Lots of brazilians playing this game.

Well, I am located in CENTRAL America. Additionally I wrote MAJOR airports and I was talking about London, Frankfurt, Paris, Madrid, Tokyo, Atlanta, O'Hare, etc. I did not say avoid creating bases in those regions at all.

Anyway, I am No.1 in Central America and No.49 in total and this is the second round I play this game here. So I think I did not do to much wrong. :wink: Last round I started late in Hannover and I learned a lot from that "little" airport. I could even enter the top 100 in the last days.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 07:19:22 pm
I'm based out of Rzeszow, Poland, and Kharkov, USSR (both are under 1 mil in the game) and used to base ouf of Kalingrad (Khabrovo in game I think it's called) in rounds past. Granted, you won't make as much money as when you base from a larger airport, but it is notwhere as bad as it's kept being repeted. Its diversifying your destinations and knowing what equipment to choose (and how to chose it (i.e. should I lease or should I own). But good thing is that most of the routes won't have competition getting in the way, but if you base out of something with less than 150K pax, then yeah, you might be having a hard time making money.

Gustavo

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 07:23:58 pm

Well, I am located in CENTRAL America. Additionally I wrote MAJOR airports and I was talking about London, Frankfurt, Paris, Madrid, Tokyo, Atlanta, O'Hare, etc. I did not say avoid creating bases in those regions at all.

Anyway, I am No.1 in Central America and No.49 in total and this is the second round I play this game here. So I think I did not do to much wrong. :wink: Last round I started late in Hannover and I learned a lot from that "little" airport. I could even enter the top 100 in the last days.

"Well", I am located in SOUTH AMERICA. what I'm saying is: He should avoid ANY major airport in S. Americat too. Actually, ANY major airport of ANY continent.

I didn't say you were doing anything wrong. In fact, you must be doing good, since Central America have a small pax number. Congrats.
img]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1553/logonordestefinalgifjr4.gif[/img]

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 07:55:44 pm

"Well", I am located in SOUTH AMERICA. what I'm saying is: He should avoid ANY major airport in S. Americat too. Actually, ANY major airport of ANY continent.

Now, I see. I have no experience about South America. Thats why I did not mention it here. :wink:

I didn't say you were doing anything wrong. In fact, you must be doing good, since Central America have a small pax number. Congrats.

But it is not too bad here. Most bigger North American airports can be reached simply as they are located within 2,500nm making them easy accessable with a B732 Adv. Competition is hard on routes to LAX, ATL, etc. But almost none to airports below 3.5M pax. The hardest thing is that after a short period of time you need aircrafts with a range above 1,000nm to make bigger money as the competition in CA has connected most local airports to their network. If someone would try to start now here it would be almost impossible for him/her to grow. But this round is almost over :cry:

RAYON

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:52:18 pm
OK I have herd for
N America
S America
C America
and
Europe

I haven't herd form
Asia
Africa
Australia

which have less competition and would probably make a better starting location

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 12:30:32 am
Quote from: "RAYON"
OK I have herd for
N America
S America
C America
and
Europe

I haven't herd form
Asia
Africa
Australia

which have less competition and would probably make a better starting location

Asia and Africa? I'm not sure how great they are, they have the same fall back that basing in Siberia would have (Many cities are very far away.)

Skyfox

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 12:35:38 am
Well, im the 3rd largest african airline. And i can give ya some hints coming from there.

Africa generaly dosent have that many competitors in it. Now its home to about 30, 10 of which are serious. The problem with africa is there are just two few good airports. There are only 3 airpots that have above 10million passengers, and only 7 above 5 million. In total theres about 15 airports total that are even worthy of putting a hub on on the entire continent. That sounds all fine and dandy but dosent leave much room for growth. Your garenteed to run into competition with atleast 3 other people at an airport that serves 2.5million people flying rapidly devalueing routes to airports serving 100k people or less with newbs running 5 frequencies on Beech99s.

By the end of the game, pretty much everyone is in everyone else hub. And the competition can get nasty, especially on the mediteranian cost. Early on you can find a nieche, but it will be taken from you 3 years in or sooner. Mediteranian airports are the most lucrative for a brief period, till two other people build hubs there, and european airline dump there A300s on em.

And though South Africa looks like a good country to start in, youll be needing an expensive long haul fleet within a year, since outside of that country theres vast expanses of nothing. And once again, every newb that comes to africa decides they need a hub down there. Pretty much every major airline has a base down there, clawing at a piece of that ever so lucrative {not} Johannesburg/Maputo route.

As such i declare Africa and advanced continent. its not very friendly to start in, and less friendly to compete in. Especialy if you open a hub in my city, that tends to make me cranky.

a1b23

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 01:32:47 am
i say try asia a lot of big airports less ailines than na more airports
1b23

zkvac

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • granturismoworld.piczo.com
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 04:15:56 am
There's a lot of competition in Australasia for the money.
Public World #2119 - VincentAir (Australasia)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk