Airline Mogul Forum

From noob to noob:(false)advice for young and small airlines

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
*edited by dktc: the following advices by mg35pt are not desirable advices. Please do not follow any advices in his post or you could result in bankrupcy. If you insist on following these advices, please kindly note that we (ie. the AM admins) provide account reset service to all players. Please email us at :staff: for a reset if needed. Any players creating more than one account, regardless of situation, reasons, and circumstances, could face disciplinary actions. Thanks for your cooperation.*

As a newbie to Airline Mogul (AM) - started playing on New Year's Eve - I know how this game/simulation may at times look a little bit overwhelming to other new players, particularly when you’re at the wheel of a relatively small airline, far, far away from the other players at the top. Some advice might come in handy, helping you achieve the ultimate goal of this simulation: my success.

With that in mind, I decided to share a few nuggets of wisdom about the whole business of airline management. Should you follow this advice, I can assure you the stated goal for AM will certainly be achieved.

So, in no particular order, I’ll throw you this few pearls:

* There are really only a few airports worth flying to. Look for the magical “350K” ones. Once your airline becomes very big, with more planes than you know what to do with, then consider smaller alternatives. But, until then, routes leading to or out of LHR, FRA, ATL and so on are the only ones worth flying.

* The aircraft you’re given at the start is an absolute piece of crap. You can’t fly it around and pretend to be a serious airline. The only thing you should be flying is the mythical “732adv” (short for Boeing 737-200 Advanced). Don’t bother getting anything else until you can afford one. Cheap and cheerful Fokkers are useless and Tupolevs… well, they’re Russian.

* If you can’t afford a 732 at once, don’t worry. At this stage in the game there are plenty on offer for lease, so go get a handful of them. Any rate below 10M looks good and the leaser is guaranteed to make that at least once a month. So, don’t wait. Operators are standing by.

* The BBJ (Boeing Business Jet) is a brother of the 732, and just as good. Or better: it has got great range. Besides, it’s inexpensive: for a little over the price of four B99s you can start your own intercontinental route. Everyone knows that’s where the money is so, again, don’t wait. Get ‘em while they last.

* In the meantime, while you’re waiting for your first real aircraft, pick your routes carefully. Best method is to look at where the big boys are. Gates are expensive, so don’t go collecting those like there’s no tomorrow (there probably won’t be, for you, but that’s an entirely different subject). So, pick one or two routes where everyone is placing the big planes and dip in. Your B99 does not carry many passengers at once so you’ll have to do a few more rounds (frequencies). Besides, if you use your lousy single plane on a single route you’ll avoid the expense of renting gates at different airports.

* Take good care of pricing. Big airlines didn’t get to be big by flying empty planes. Make sure you get 100% LF (“load factor”). Undercut your competitors by at least 10€. This will achieve two very important goals: (1) your competitors will panic when they see their DOP drop from 85,167,747 € to just 85,161,007 € (leading them to start making bad decisions), and (2) you’ll max your own earnings, thus securing that elusive first 732 deal.

* Keep a keen eye on prices. But be sure to wait until the last second to adjust fares. And only by 1€ at a time. Better yet, make that 0.01€! Big competitors won’t notice or react. Remember the Golden Rule: 100% LF.

* Should one competitor get fed up with your constant last minute adjustments and slash their prices by 50%, don’t worry a bit. Undercut them by 1€ and the 100% LF is yours again. After all, 100% @ 129€ is far, far better then 75% @ 260€, isn’t it?

* Never, ever, back away from a big route. Yes, you might be making a few more Euros flying to a secondary airport but if you back away from a route where prices dropped too low there is an immediate and negative marketing effect that will prevent your airline from ever achieving greatness. Besides, everyone will call you a wuss.

* Just around the time you can lease your first 732 is when you should start dreaming of the Holy Grail of AM’s aviation: The Jumbo! Yes, it’s expensive, but totally worth it! I mean, there you have your intercontinental route on a BBJ with 2x20 passengers paying already upwards of 2000€ per seat. That’s not bad, but picture 2x452 paying customers per day! At 2000€ that’s at least 1.8M€ per route and per day. 43M€ per month. As you can see, the 747 shall be paid in no time. Better go ahead and ask a broker for 3 or 4 at once, while stocks last.

Well, that’s pretty much what I can offer y’all right now. Simple advice but I’m sure of success if you follow them. No need to thank me.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:06:33 pm
If anyone is smart enough to follow all these advice... he/she will definitely not do well. :roll:

(I hate it when people post misleading tips to new players... so here goes the come back from me, as a player)

It is a stupid mistake to fly solely to 350k airports. When you start, you only have 1 aircraft so make the most out of it. Fly short routes, fly routes with few competitions. The routes to/from large/well-known airports are usually competitve, and flying those would only hurt your revenue.

732adv is absolutely not the ideal aircraft. Granted, it is not too bad in terms of pax, speed and range, but AM doesn't take into account fleet consistency. You could use 100 different plane types without any penalty. As a result, when choosing plane types, look at the route you want to fly (the distance and the potential pax) and tailor a plane to the route. From a sole ROI point of view, B732adv is not the best either.

The BBJ is sh*t, pardon my french, even though I am the one who added it.

Any lease rates are monthly. 10mil mothly rate = 417k profit needed per day to get back the lease cost. You still have your fuel, staff, and gate rent to cover. So, think before you lease.

No get on competitive routes, regardless who are on there.

Back away from a route if needed. You are to make the most porfit, remember.

The larger a plane is, the less you could charge per ticket. As a result the 747's are one of the worst in terms of ROI.

Thanks mg35pt for being sarcastic. It is absolutely appreciated. :roll:
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk