Airline Mogul Forum

The undercutting by €1 bug

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
on: October 18, 2007, 09:34:41 pm
Just to say I noticed it's still there, which is largely responsible for the crash of load factors.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 11:00:46 pm
I don't think it is a "bug" technically :?
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 11:02:27 pm
it's not a bug, the game assumes passengers go after the cheapest deals first, when it reaches any given airline the rest of the factors kick in (flight time, frequency, etc) but on small routes it's likely to be fierce and easy to crash prices; on heavy routes it's likely to have a lot of players or attract large aircraft driving those prices down.  I believe it's a pretty good parallel to reality where routes between large cities wind up with many frequencies and cheap fares, while routes to small airports attract few frequencies and (tend towards) higher fares.

On a related note however, the ticket price saved in the database has been extended to two decimal points (to the €0.01 level of detail) to allow for a little more refined undercutting, to try to minimize the chances that someone will enter 499.99 to undercut and steal all the passengers.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Pacific

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 11:42:53 pm
I see so in the LF algorithm, the flight time (speed of aircraft) actually counts?  Nice to know my expensive aircraft choices have been worthwhile!

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:16:40 am
Without saying the exact weights/etc of these: so far this all goes into the lf formula in some effect on demand

Plane size
route time
ticket price
airports natural hub effect
frequency
ticket price
your number of routes on the city pair
alliance codeshare effect
competition

for the food/drink options

plane size, food/drink price, used seats, flight time... few other tiny things here and there.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk