Airline Mogul Forum

There needs to be a better way to simulate route competition

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
  • Please refrain from using ethnic slurs.
    • View Profile
I'll preface this post by stating that I don't fault any of the other players in the game because what they're doing is completely legal. They're not doing anything wrong. My blame lays with the game itself.

Airline Mogul - See my airline

That's my airline in the maintenance world. As it stands right now, I have two bases - Chicago and Atlanta. I'm the 18th largest airline in the world and I experience a lot of competition thanks to one particular airline, Cabot Air, though of course I do deal with other competitors at the same time. Once again, the blame for this problem does not lay with the player.

Anyway, my issue is with what happens when I compete. Because Cabot Air is so much larger, the player who runs that airline can afford to take bigger hits. They can dramatically drop their prices well below what would be necessary to restore their route loadfactor to 100%, and I have to drop mine accordingly. This, obviously, is not fair. It's absolutely ridiculous that the game forces me to take a similar hit to my profits as the larger airlines when I am not as well-equipped to handle such a price drop as they are. Furthermore, there have been multiple occasions where I have had to adjust in excess of 50-100 routes at one time. This is a very time-consuming task. Really, the profit calculations need to be adjusted to insulate against these kinds of things. I shouldn't have to adjust 100 different routes every day to get my loadfactor back up to 100%.

As for a solution, I'm not sure how the game could be adjusted to do that. I'm still thinking of a way to best solve that problem. However, it is a problem nonetheless.

On a slightly less important note, does anyone know why my route map won't display? It's something to do with a flight originating from Chicago, because I can neither see the main route map nor the individual Chicago map, but I can view the individual Atlanta map. I'm nowhere near the threshold for the map not displaying, as I'm flying fewer than 200 routes, and usually even the routes that don't display on their own (i.e. the airports that lack an ICAO code) don't cause the main map to refuse to display.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:43:48 pm by TheKevinShow »

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
  • Please refrain from using ethnic slurs.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:07:48 am
Bump.

norge

• Airline Supervisor
  • Partially Inactive
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:20:45 pm
I think the best way is just to introduce a new loadfactor formula. If I remember correctly, Matias said they are going to work on it soon, but I'm not completely sure about that.

And another flaw is that a route, even with high demand (like showing 2,500+ passenger potential in the beginning), may not sustain two/three different airlines competing against eachother despite only having A320/B737 and on 1.0 frequency.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:30:45 pm
A new loadfactor formula... Far out in the future :P

But yeah, Stephen has been thinking about it for quite a while now

In regards to the original post, it is not unrealistic (in my opinion) that a big airline can afford to take much bigger hits than a small airline. Unfair, yes, but not unrealistic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk