Airline Mogul Forum

View Airport Changes

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
on: May 22, 2007, 11:53:29 pm
I am very pleased to announce that View Airport has been updated with a few fixes and changes. As part of recent admin changes that were being developed by our new developer (Air Elbonia). This includes a slight design change, with the positioning moving about.

We now have airport route maps available, abeit in a smaller size to airline route maps. However these display both arrivals and departures for all airports so you can see where your competitors fly to and from easily instead of checking the Arrival &  Departure "boards".

Also the market share (Seats %) table has been updated with gates and utilisation data also available, formatted to the latest standard.

Any feedback is welcome and I hope you appreciate the changes! :)
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 03:10:14 am
I do appreciate the changes but...

The route map is not going to show up in busy airports. It is the same with airlines with a lot of routes. In addition, we still have to check the Arrival & Departure "boards" to make sure where our competitors fly from :wink:

The gate utilization part does not include the airlines holding gates but have no flight from the airport. We still can't hunt those gate-hogging players.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 05:41:35 am
Quote from: "dktc"

The route map is not going to show up in busy airports. It is the same with airlines with a lot of routes. In addition, we still have to check the Arrival & Departure "boards" to make sure where our competitors fly from :wink:

The gate utilization part does not include the airlines holding gates but have no flight from the airport. We still can't hunt those gate-hogging players.

well. allow me to rebut this.

1. not true at present, the busiest airport i know of in the game is MSP and the route map shows up.  the unfortunate thing about the route map at present is it's not an AM creation it's an open tool for anyone to use called great circle mapper.  this does not recognize all airports that AM does, and has a few entries that it disagrees with AM on, such as MDM.  if an airport serves antartica, or a few other strange airports, the map will not generate.  I'm not ambitious enough to know how to code a replacement for GC.

2. gate utilization appears differently to administrative status players (me, hpscott08, stephenm, d1...).  To admins, we see all players whom have a gate at the airport with all the information, additionally we see how many slots are free for any user.  to everyone else, you see anyone with a reasonable section of the marketshare of an airport (1% or greater).  :) if there's an issue with gate hogging, just tell us admins and we can see who/why/how much, and take some action against it.  we thought past this was a little too far to offer everyone a glance at it all involved.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 08:19:37 am
Ok I uploaded something that I thought would fix issue 1, it didn't. :(

I think everything else has been covered!
Stephen Murphy

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 12:07:54 pm
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
1. not true at present, the busiest airport i know of in the game is MSP and the route map shows up.  the unfortunate thing about the route map at present is it's not an AM creation it's an open tool for anyone to use called great circle mapper.  this does not recognize all airports that AM does, and has a few entries that it disagrees with AM on, such as MDM.  if an airport serves antartica, or a few other strange airports, the map will not generate. ...

2. gate utilization appears differently to administrative status players (me, hpscott08, stephenm, d1...).  To admins, we see all players whom have a gate at the airport with all the information, additionally we see how many slots are free for any user.

1. I know you are using gc. I use it to check distances for routes too. The strange thing is that I think all of the airports I am serving show up in gc, but my route map doesn't show up. It is not much of a problem though.

2. Good :D
D Express (id 616) 8)

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:15:43 pm
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
1. not true at present, the busiest airport i know of in the game is MSP and the route map shows up.  the unfortunate thing about the route map at present is it's not an AM creation it's an open tool for anyone to use called great circle mapper.  this does not recognize all airports that AM does, and has a few entries that it disagrees with AM on, such as MDM.  if an airport serves antartica, or a few other strange airports, the map will not generate. ...

2. gate utilization appears differently to administrative status players (me, hpscott08, stephenm, d1...).  To admins, we see all players whom have a gate at the airport with all the information, additionally we see how many slots are free for any user.

1. I know you are using gc. I use it to check distances for routes too. The strange thing is that I think all of the airports I am serving show up in gc, but my route map doesn't show up. It is not much of a problem though.

2. Good :D

1. Ah. i know what's wrong. you're close to the link being defunct. I put in a patch which will stretch the time you can view your map.. but it will break sooner or later.  GC Mapper uses the URL to pass through the various city pairs in its maps, and URL's have maximum lengths.  once that cap is exceeded the image will break and there will be no turning back.  You exceeded that, but only do to an errant space in the code.  that's been removed. now you can see your map again... for a little while.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 01:01:52 pm
i still can't see it... but don't bother. It is not important :wink:
D Express (id 616) 8)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 04:49:06 pm
Do we know how many routes it caps out at? Because I suppose we could do an alternate arrangement whereby you could select a number of bases to display the routes from, not a full route map but it would still allow the large airlines to benefit from it.

I've also added the respecitve copyright notices so that I dont get in trouble. :)
Stephen Murphy

vc-10

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 08:19:27 pm
What would be great would be to have route maps that show 'empty' routes from you hubs... incidentely, when can you create a hub? I've got about 30 gates at LHR, but can't create one....
ly British World Airlines

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 08:21:10 pm
hubs aren't implemented in the game at present, sorry.

gizgiz

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 02:27:47 pm
Have you guys tried GMT?

http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/

Or Google Maps...

http://maps.google.com
[20:28] <Jps> your still a w****r with your new sig
[20:36] <gizgiz> you know what? this channel is hopeless
[20:36] *** gizgiz was kicked from #AirlineMogul by Jps [Just get lost.]

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 04:59:12 pm
I dont like the idea of Google Maps for route maps, I used it in ClearSkies and saw it on a few Virtual Airline maps. I really dont want it on ours. However the Zoomed out Yahoo map I do like.
Stephen Murphy

spiller1985

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 05:41:19 pm

Heres a tip (its what i do) as most ppl use firefox, use the find feature ctrl+f and type in the airport name and it will show it on the Arrival & Departure "boards"  8)  8)
TILT (ID: 746)

HUBs: ORK, ALI, LTN, CPH, INN, SOF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk