Airline Mogul Forum

Confused about loadfactor and frequencies

pilotguy121a

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: February 26, 2011, 04:57:04 pm
Hey all, I've been playing for awhile now, 2+years, and I have created 5+ private worlds, the latest being a realistic world where we try to use realistic frequencies and aircraft (size) for particular routes. However, in trying to maximize my aircraft usage, I found something that is rather perplexing when dealing with .5 frequency and 1.0 frequency. See Example below:

So say my goal is 3xFrequencies with an MD-90-55
A/C #1 does 2x service at $150 with 100% load
AC #2 does .5x service at $150 with 100% load, but this then decreases A/C #1s load....

My question is, why does this happen? I noticed it only does it with .5 and 1 (or 2 or 3) on the same routes. However if you use 2x1.5 services at the same price on the same route both are at 100% loadfactor. Can some please explain this issue? I'm almost positive it has something to do with the formula with .5 frequency flights vs 1 freq flights.

jayceon

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 07:10:20 pm
Hmm as far as I know flying a route with different aircraft at the same time is actually competing with yourself..? I mean, why would you even fly a route with two aircraft. If you really want higher frequencies I guess it's better to fly more frequencies with the same aircraft.

pilotguy121a

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 05:50:01 am
Well the goal of the world is realism. So the reason I am doing this is because I have time left on the a/c and using 2x.5 frequencies and a 2xfrequency should add up to 3xfrequency, however if they are all priced equally, the 2xfrequency is at like 20% load factor.

BUT, the if i fly 3 different planes with 1x frequency=3 frequency to the same airport at the same price, all are 100%.

AirbusGuy350

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 04:40:02 pm
I think this happens because it it is like flying there 4 times while returning twice. Hopefully this chart helps:

ORD-LAX
Aircraft 1 at x2.5
to lax
back to ord
to
back
to

Aircraft 2 at x.5
to

Total
4 to
2 back

So what happens is that that on the way there aircraft one has to charge a small ticket price to have 100% load factor because there are twice as many flights to lax then returning. I hope this helps a little but I can't explain the 2x1.5 service.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 05:39:08 pm by AirbusGuy350 »

pilotguy121a

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:26:06 pm
Ah, that makes sense. I found a sort of way around it, just bump the .5 trip up and the 1 trip down a little.

Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk