Airline Mogul Forum

Best of the big birds ?

SkyKing

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: August 05, 2010, 08:23:35 am

What's the best large sized airliner to use for heavy pax routes over long distances.  I'm forever draining my bank account with some of these large planes. Anyone have a rule of thumb towards large airline purchases.

When I say Large I mean capacity/pax wise not $$ wise, although I suppose they ca hand in hand.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 04:44:41 pm
Anyone have a rule of thumb towards large airline purchases.

Two rules...

* Don't buy anything over €200M
* Don't buy anything with capacity over 300 pax

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

SkyKing

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:26:09 am

Thanks... I'll keep the above info in mind. 

In my last world, I simply took over and became the #1 carrier in no time but sure enough my funds went into the toilet once I started to upgrade to the large birds.

Aside from being correct with using real life models, what would be the purpose of even using these large pax carrying planes ? They are only going to bankrupt you.

TheKevinShow

• Airline Operative
  • Please refrain from using ethnic slurs.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 05:30:41 am
Obviously, it's a non-issue for me at this point since I'm nowhere near even buying a second plane, but what's the point of having large planes like 747s if they'll never be profitable?

SkyKing

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 06:14:30 am
Obviously, it's a non-issue for me at this point since I'm nowhere near even buying a second plane, but what's the point of having large planes like 747s if they'll never be profitable?

Thought the same a few times myself.  On the bright side, you save some $$ by not buying the pricey planes.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 03:53:54 pm

The maintenance costs is what kills 747 operators. The maintenance costs are calculated based on the value and age of the aircraft. They are not optimal at the moment, but i think the developers are working on solving it.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

bry12

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 04:24:06 pm
what's the point of having large planes like 747s if they'll never be profitable?

This really irks me like yeah Why are they even available anyway ? I have always thought that large airplanes are very good for long haul high pax flights. After all they are so expensive to buy I do know that large planes cost so much maintenance. though  :(
Why would any airline then spend millions of dollars for nothing?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:12:09 pm by bry12 »

bry12

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 06:16:36 pm
Is there any benefit at all buying any big planes like 747s ?
If they're never gonna be profitable why then would any airline spend millions for nothing ???

neldot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 09:46:50 pm
It's not only the maintenance costs that kills 747s and other big planes in the game, albeit an improvement of the maintenance formula would be welcome.

It's also the fact that, in the real world, long routes with high demand earn immensely more than regional routes.

In the game this is not the case, long routes earn only slightly more cash.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk