Airline Mogul Forum

Aircraft value from Aircraft Market

homsar

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: January 23, 2011, 06:11:29 am
I've noticed some oddities when buying planes from the aircraft market (i.e. from other players).

When I'm browsing the for-sale list, it will show the plane's value and its selling price.  When I click buy, the value of the airplane changes on the next screen.

In one instance, I used the checkboxes to buy multiple planes at once.  The 737-300s had an appraised value of around $55,000,000, but on the next screen, their values were showing as well over $100,000,000.  (I don't remember the exact numbers, and I'm too tired to go back in and check.)  The selling price, thankfully, does remain constant.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:02:41 am
One fetches the book value, and the other fetches the appraised value. Can't remember which is which, but that is what caused the difference.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

homsar

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:40:57 pm
I'm not sure that explains the full extent of the issue.

For example, in public world 1776, there is a Beech 1900 for sale.  Its price is $3,000,000.  In the "aircraft for sale" list, it shows its value as $3,362,619.  If I click the check box next to that plane, and click "buy aircraft at the bottom of the page," the new table lists the plane's value as $1,403,491,815.  Surely, there's no way the plane (or any plane in AM) could possibly have a value that high.

If I click the "buy" link next to the plane (i.e. individual purchase rather than mass purchase), it shows the same plane as having a value of $2,260,594.  I guess that would be book vs. appraised value.  However, I guess I'm now a little confused about how a plane's "appraised value" is calculated, and what the significance is of that number vs. the "book value" number that you see on the previous screen.  It just adds to the confusion over which numbers mean what.

Nonetheless, I'm sure the $1.4 billion is a bug no matter what.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:09:41 pm
Nonetheless, I'm sure the $1.4 billion is a bug no matter what.

Agreed, the €1.4 billion is a bug and I shall fix that soon. An accountant may be in a better position to explain the difference between appraised and book values.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

homsar

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 10:25:19 pm
I understand, in real life, what appraised value and book value mean.  My question is really more of how those numbers are calculated and what those numbers mean in the game.

"Book value" should never be higher than the price you paid for it.  Also, when you first buy an airplane, it really shouldn't be significantly lower than the price you paid for it either.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:30:38 pm
Off the top of my head the book and appraised value may be the same before you sell the aircraft. Once an aircraft is bought/sold the price paid for it will be assumed as the book value. Appraised value is likely to be linked to its original value less depreciation.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:32:47 am
Book value should function as follows: Starts at Price Paid (for used, or new, aircraft), less the aggregate total of daily depreciations (straight line, based on a 20 year "life" from date of manufacture; adjusted to a minimum of 2 months life IF a plane ever reaches 20 years old or older).

Appraised value should be calculated separately, based on the initial book price & age.

If something has an egregious value, as you said, it sounds like there's a bug that needs to be fixed.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk