Unknown98

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Quamu
on: February 27, 2010, 04:41:53 pm
ID: 18849
Airline name: OnTime airlines
World: PW #740 (The Planet)

I started with about 8 years left in the world, there's 3 years left now. I'm now ranked 12'th in that world, and own the following aircraft:

Airbus A319 --------10
Airbus A320-100 ----3
Airbus A320-200 ----11
Boeing 757-300 -----2  
Boeing 767-300 -----2
Boeing 767-300ER ---2
Boeing 777-200ER ---1
Douglas DC-9-50 ----1

DOC is 9.15 million, Airline value is 2.6 billion, daily passengers 52,829, average loadfactor of 96.91%, 167 routes and 119 destinations in 3 continents. All 6 bases created in USA, I could have used better positioning in them, but I was new when I made my bases so I didn't have the best knowledge on where to create them.

Basically am I doing good for my age, and is there anything I could be doing better? I have not yet assigned routes to all my aircraft, there's about 6 that I just recieved from the manufacturer that I still need to put on routes. So I'm not using all my planes ATM, but will assign them throughout the weekend (just because it takes so long to setup a plane on a full routes)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:44:08 pm by Unknown98 »
Olympus Airways: PW #1291

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:48:31 pm
Your six widebody aircraft will start destroying your profits very quickly. By my quick calculations, you'll be spending 8-9 days per month paying the maintenance fees for those aircraft alone, and that will increase as the months go by. Your DOC is way too low to be supporting those kinds of aircraft. Besides, any aircraft with more than 300 pax or costing more than 200M is overkill in this game, and you are spending too much time waiting for your cash to build to buy those planes instead of buying cheaper planes and starting local/regional routes from your hubs. You could buy 20 ATR-72's for the same price as that 777 and probably earn 15-20x more DOC.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Unknown98

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Quamu
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 11:39:14 pm
Yeah, I noticed that with the 777 right after I bought it.. not making much compared to my other A319's/A320's. A single A319 based out of Atlanta actually makes me 750K profit each day. I've never really thought about ATR's, but now that you mention it I may get some.

I purchsed those 767's just by looking at other airlines in my world.. everyone seems to have them, and nobody seems to have ATR's. But usually the one that does things different stands out eh?

thanks for the tips, I'll use em in my new world.. Got 19 years ahead of me.

shaq

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:27:03 am
in what other worlds are you playing huh?
About the widebodies , pseudoswede is talking real things lol...
in the world im playon (PW1152) i have 10 707 , for Long-haul . It really doesnt make too much money doing LONG h. but i do it for fun
Chief Executive Officer of Panama Airlines :D

wishfulanthony

• Airline Operative
  • Owner of Volcano Airways
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:07:11 am
On the original message:

Airline name: OnTime airlines
World: PW #740 (The Planet)

I started with about 8 years left in the world, there's 3 years left now. I'm now ranked 12'th in that world, and own the following aircraft:

Airbus A319 --------10
Airbus A320-100 ----3
Airbus A320-200 ----11
Boeing 757-300 -----2 
Boeing 767-300 -----2
Boeing 767-300ER ---2
Boeing 777-200ER ---1
Douglas DC-9-50 ----1

DOC is 9.15 million, Airline value is 2.6 billion, daily passengers 52,829, average loadfactor of 96.91%, 167 routes and 119 destinations in 3 continents. All 6 bases created in USA ... I have not yet assigned routes to all my aircraft, there's about 6 that I just recieved from the manufacturer that I still need to put on routes. So I'm not using all my planes ATM, but will assign them throughout the weekend (just because it takes so long to setup a plane on a full routes)

I've noticed something that can actually put your airline in a bad situation: your long haul a/c (being the 767-300, 767-300ER, and 777-200ER) may be fine, but if you say they do not make much, it may be because you have not used them on the routes that actually need those a/c. Say for example:

If you have a base in ATL, you might want to use the 777-200ER for long trips like ATL to Europe or ATL to South America, then combine those trips with a heavy domestic trip (two, if feasible), like ATL-JFK, ATL-BOS, ATL-ORD, ATL-LAX, ATL-SFO, or ATL-YYZ. Same story goes for the 767-300 and 767-300ER, wherein you want to maximize your profit by allowing them to be more flexible and serve "high-density" domestic and "medium- to high-density" international destinations.

This is where "hotswapping" can be a really good idea for you because it will allow you to be more flexible on which trips get larger aircraft to keep up with competition while allowing routes with smaller demand (passenger-wise) to have smaller aircraft and have larger DOCs than putting them with larger aircraft.

There are things you can consider when operating those large aircraft, including:

1) Passenger loads. If a route says that it is "Excellent", chances are some airlines would take advantage of that route by using bigger aircraft to keep up with demand, and by getting larger aircraft that would suit a trip, your chances of getting the most profit would be great.

2) Operating time. Your aircraft will have a high DOC if you operate multiple routes on a single plane, making sure that it has less than 1 hour left flying time and each destination has a "1" frequency (complete round trip).

3) Maintenance costs. Of course, the bigger and/or older an aircraft becomes, the higher the maintenance costs, thus, if you want to keep your airline balance high, make sure you retire some of your oldest planes and replace them with newer ones. You made great in purchasing new, larger aircraft, but, maintenance costs for them are high. Try to get smaller ones that have smaller loads but allow greater flexibility for trips, like the A319, A320, or B737.

4) Route choices. Here's my key to the aircraft combinations you can use for all conditions:

Route "Grade"Options
AverageUse smaller, regional aircraft for those routes. These trips act as "fillers" for local areas to the big cities, and these tend to have less competition from other airlines.
GoodUse primarily regional aircraft for those routes. If competition increases on these trips, use small jets (A319, A320, B737) to make up what the other airlines use.
Very GoodUse small to medium-sized jets for those routes. These trips are some of the "busier" domestic or medium- to long-haul international trips, and be warned that other airlines could use larger jets for these trips.
ExcellentUse medium- to larger-sized aircraft for those routes. Primarily the busiest domestic and international trips that require large planes to handle the large passenger loads.

Use the table as a guide only to choose what aircraft is best suited for which routes.

Also, regarding ATRs:

A single A319 based out of Atlanta actually makes me 750K profit each day. I've never really thought about ATR's, but now that you mention it I may get some.

I purchsed those 767's just by looking at other airlines in my world.. everyone seems to have them, and nobody seems to have ATR's. But usually the one that does things different stands out eh?

I used ATRs before in another public world, in which i was one of the many who used the aircraft, but only one of two who operated the longer-range ATR 42-300 aircraft that allowed me to do regional trips without compensating for fuel usage (speed, though, was quite slow). I would explore getting some of the ATR 42-300 (if available) to use for your regional trips that are in the "good" range (cf. table above) so that you can get a feel of what regional travel is all about.

I could provide more tips, it's just that it's all up to you to form your airline to what you want it to become. For more questions, feel free to PM me here.
Proud owner of

ID: 30954 · Owned Private Worlds 1596, 1757, 1936, and 2180 · Sojourner Dream · Need help on AM? Read my guides here

Hal

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:25:10 am
Its modern age - 2005, best way is cheap turbotrops like Dash 8-400 and jets  CRJ7xx and ERJ17x for regional routes to small airports. A318 and ERJ19x for routes to middle sized airports and A319/A320/A321 for main routes.
Central Europe Brokerage, official broker, ID15523.

Unknown98

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Quamu
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 02:10:10 am
Thanks ~~ I will PM you later wishfulanthony. In my new world I have bought 3 ATR-72-200's, 2 CRJ-100's, and two 737-300 HGW (default aircraft).

jetrc

• Airline Operative
  • Aspiring airline CEO
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 06:19:05 am
If you'd like to expand your longhaul operations, buy 767s. They are the best in terms of Range, Fuel Usage, and MX Costs. I'd also recommend the Airbus A330-200 due to its high range.
Avalon Air, Coming Soon.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 07:43:54 am
If you'd like to expand your longhaul operations, buy 767s. They are the best in terms of Range, Fuel Usage, and MX Costs. I'd also recommend the Airbus A330-200 due to its high range.

Not with a DOC of only 9M...

Planet Express Airways

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.

jetrc

• Airline Operative
  • Aspiring airline CEO
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 10:55:28 am

Not with a DOC of only 9M...
Ooops...Didn't read that. But i've bought a couple of A330s with a DOC of 9M and survived the game. :D
Avalon Air, Coming Soon.

Unknown98

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
    • Quamu
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 07:59:10 pm
Thanks guys, I'm using all these tips in a new world..

Also, if you only get regional starting aircraft, would it hurt to set up them up on excellent or very good routes, and then later replace that route with a different aircraft?

jetrc

• Airline Operative
  • Aspiring airline CEO
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 08:38:45 am
No it wouldn't. In fact, if you get a larger aircraft (e.g. A319/A320) and replace the current regional aircraft on that route, you will earn more profit from the route due to the larger capacity of the new aircraft.
Avalon Air, Coming Soon.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 01:29:54 am
No it wouldn't. In fact, if you get a larger aircraft (e.g. A319/A320) and replace the current regional aircraft on that route, you will earn more profit from the route due to the larger capacity of the new aircraft.

Up to a certain point. It depends on where you're based.

Plus, it's always better to start with the cheapest aircraft you can purchase and work your way up (adhering to the 3x DOC plane purchase rule).

Planet Express Airways

wishfulanthony

• Airline Operative
  • Owner of Volcano Airways
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 06:58:55 pm
Also, if you only get regional starting aircraft, would it hurt to set up them up on excellent or very good routes, and then later replace that route with a different aircraft?

Nope, not at all! In fact, many times, you can start doing excellent routes on a small regional plane then work your way up to getting the bigger jets to serve those routes! Remember, the excellent routes tend to have a lot of competition if more and more players do it... :)

I had an experience before wherein I started an excellent route with a propeller plane, then as I earn more money from purchasing more propeller planes and opening new routes, I was able to get my first set of jet aircraft, then my DOC took off ever since, allowing me to expand my aircraft line and destinations served further.
Proud owner of

ID: 30954 · Owned Private Worlds 1596, 1757, 1936, and 2180 · Sojourner Dream · Need help on AM? Read my guides here

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk