Airline Mogul Forum

PW 488 Airline ID 22682 Unable to edit alliances routes.

Mporcel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Let me bring to your attention the following problem:

I think there is a misconception on the use of the concept "create route" when editing a route: In fact, create means "To cause to exist" while edit means "To modify or adapt so as to make suitable or acceptable." When you are editing a route you are not creating a new route. Therefore, editing a route should be possible even  in the case of alliance hubs where the maximum number of flights have been excedeed. The only condition necesary for editing alliance routes should be that the airline based at any particular hub is still a member of the alliance (and that such airline have not left the alliance after the route was created).  I bring this to your atention since I am heavily dependable on the alliance routes many of which i cannot edit even though the airline based at the hub is still a member of the alliance. Look for example routes from Orlando just to name  hub.

Looking forward to your reply,

Mariu Airlines

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:55:58 pm
First of all, this really isn't a suggestion.

You are right that if you could edit an alliance route, you could close it and recreate it with another plane, provided that no one in your alliance create another alliance flight from that hub at the same time, and stole your spot.

The issue in your case though is that you cannot even edit your flights. When the alliance flight quota is exceeded, or when the alliance member drops out of the alliance, all the alliance flights from the hub would be frozen. The only option you have is to close the routes. You can't otherwise modify them.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Mporcel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:36:36 pm
I appreciate your straight answer. However, editing a route is quite different from creating a new route. Even though the flight quota is exceeded, you are still operating  routes which might need to be edited. Otherwise why would you create an alliance flight knowing that you probably won´t be able to edit it. On the same line, why is it alowed to exceed the quota? Does a 1 frequency flight from airpot A to Airport B counts as 2 flights for the alliance quota? I think this should be revised in order to allow users to edit the  routes any time (unless of course the airline opertaing the departure airport leaves the alliance) If necessary there should be a .5 frequency restriction in order to avoid exceeding the quota.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 12:09:52 am
I'm fully aware that editing is quite different from creating a new route, but unfortunately in this case it has an enforcement purpose.

No alliance is directly allowed to exceed the quota, to my knowledge this is not happening through any bugs that I'm aware of, (if it is due to a bug, please any information can be helpful).  However, there is an oddity associated with alliances which allows this to happen.

When a player in an alliance:
A. shuts down an alliance base
B. Leaves an alliance
the alliance routes which would now be 'impossible' are allowed to live.

Why?

When a player shuts down an alliance focus city, all fellow alliance members' routes "shouldn't" exist anymore.  It's impossible to force a player to leave a focus city open because of an alliance member's routes.  At the same time, it's unreasonable to allow a player to unexpectedly exert control over another players routes, so we cannot automatically close down these routes. Both of these options boiled down to the belief that we cannot make a system which forces sudden, direct and unexpected alterations to a player's airline (Either closing a route or forcing an unwanted base to stay open) by the actions of another airline.  Leases, as an antonym, are relatively predictable, are fully the result of two player's conscious & active decisions (to lease out or in), have several warnings for automatic recall processes, and can cause relatively little harm when returned unexpectedly early.  As an alternative we allow the routes to stay open, but unless there is a viable method for that route to exist (i.e. another alliance member has the same base, or it serves one of the route operator's own bases) the editing is locked until the route is closed. 

When a player leaves an alliance, it is difficult to close routes that are operated from alliance bases to prevent fracturing route structures.  There may be logic issues causing errant or illogical behavior to occur.  Say a player operates only three routes on an aircraft... A to B, B to C, C to D.  Airports A and D are the player's focus cities, B is an alliance member's (assume C is nothing).  If they quit the alliance the route B to C becomes impossible because the player has no base at either B or C.  Closing only B to C means the plane's remaining routes are disconnected, the script cannot rationally decide whether it is preferable to close A to B or C to D, but B to C is still an impossible route.  Admittedly there are a certain, select few scenarios which may cause disconnected routes, but they're far more difficult to achieve.  When this player joins a different alliance, it brings along these residual alliance routes which may push the alliance past its limit.  Perhaps we need to review this scenario to prevent a player leaving an alliance until this is reconciled in advance... I'll see what I can do, but unfortunately I'm booked for the night.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk