Gate usage bug

kcclieou

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: July 16, 2009, 09:04:54 pm
Type: Airport gate usage bug
Airport ID: 292 [Indianapolis/IND], 301 [Palm Beach/PBI]
Airlines details: Delta Air Lines - ID 22903 [private world 737]

I discovered by chance a misrepresentation of my gate usage at IND and PBI, at least.

I operate five flights into IND, with one operated twice a day. I should have used six slots, but here it says that my gate usage is 70%:

Similarly, at PBI, it says that I am using eight slots, while in reality I operative five daily flights into there.

The error is also reflected in the 'View Airline' and 'View Gates' pages, where the system tells me that I only have 3 and 2 extra slots at IND and PBI, respectively.

Moreover, the new customized flight numbers do not show up at the destination airports, though they do turn up pretty nicely at the departure airports.

This is only a minor error (I don't think I am going to use all the remaining slots anyway), but it would be nice if someone could look into it.
W506 - Ivy League Airways - Your Choice for Academic Travel
W737 - Delta Air Lines - One Great Airline, Together in Style
W1162 - Southwest Airlines - A Symbol of Freedom
W1481 - United Airlines - It's Time to Fly

overworked

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:57:47 am
I noticed that quite a few of my airport have less slots spaces than actually being used.  For example I'm have on flight from London to Bilbao and one from Frankfurt to Bilbao, with London and Frankfurt as my hubs.  Both flights are 1 frequency.  However the slot usage at Bilbao is 4, meaning I have 6 open slots.  If I look at other airport where I have similar set-ups the slot usage is 2 with 8 open slots.  I also have some that have 5 or 7 open slots left.  Assuming that this errors is also occurring at my hubs, I now paying extra for slots (gates) that are actually not being used.  I not absolutely sure since I have a few flights with 2 frequencies.  I wondering if the error is cause by closing routes and restarting them again.  Anyone else notice this problem?

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:22:36 pm
I'll take a look over the weekend at this.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

kcclieou

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:14:54 pm
Perhaps my experience today could shed some light on why this bug would appear.

Aircraft ID: 525 [Airbus A320-200]
Airport ID: 7 [London Heathrow/LHR]

The Airbus A320 was delivered today and I used it to create the new route JFK - LHR. Prior to the commencement of this flight, I operated 55 flights out of JFK, with 4 flown twice each day, which meant I should utilize 59 out of the 60 slots that I have.

So I went to the create route page, and created the route. After everything was done and I was about to press the 'create route' button, the AM system told me that I had to built a new gate at JFK (in the past, as most of you would have noticed, if one tries to create a route out of one's own hub where all slots are utilized, one wouldn't even be able to proceed to the fare proposal page). So I built a gate, and returned to notice that one slot at LHR was in use and that the aircraft had a bare 7 hr 52 min left with no routes on it:

I proceeded to the airport pages of JFK and LHR and found that my new flight was not in place. I tried to re-create the route, the system told me that I did not have this route in place yet (on the 'view competition' table), and yet no aircraft was available for the flight.

I decided to proceed to create the JFK - PHL route, flown twice a day, on the very same aircraft (something that is in my original plan), and once the route was created the aircraft 525 displayed more than 20 hours left, which is the right thing:

Then I returned to create JFK - LHR, and this time I managed to do so without any hassles, and when I proceeded to the 'view gates' page I found that I had been using two slots at LHR instead of one, even though I operate only one flight into LHR right now:

Meanwhile, the same page showed that I had 8 slots left at JFK instead of 9, while I now operate 56 flights with 5 being twice-daily, and have built 7 gates there.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 05:22:59 am
I'll see if i can't replicate the issue, thank you very much for your detailed description.  Hopefully i can find what's going wrong and have it fixed quickly.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

BahamutZero

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 05:25:08 pm
Airlines details: Dragonland Airline- ID 27643 [private world 748]

http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/show_airline.php?id=27404&wid=748
I'm not sure about it... But -350% utilities of gate a bit ridiculous.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 07:45:15 pm
Thank you, I think I found the sole cause of it and patched it.  I am presently working on clean-up.  Let me know if these issues are still occurring on new routes.  Again, am in process of cleaning up the mess caused prior to patch.

Edit: I believe I've cleaned up all the excess gates. Anybody who truely abused this bug will now have negative slots available and will be dealt with by admins.  Again, let me know if new issues arise with regards to this issue.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 08:44:33 pm by Air Elbonia »

kcclieou

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 11:51:22 pm
Great, it seems that my gate utilization figures now show up correctly (at least at the airports JFK, LHR, IND and PBI, where things went wrong before).

Thank you very much, admins, for your diligent work - your effort is appreciated. :)

overworked

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 12:50:43 am
I still have couple gates where errors appears.  But for the most part all the majority of the gates are as they should.

ID: 27760
Airline Continental Movers Corps

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 02:44:37 am
Which airports overworked? I'm getting no hits when fixing the whole of world 730.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk