Airline Mogul Forum

Replacing or expanding

dimitris340

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: June 18, 2009, 05:35:18 pm
Hey all,

I am relatively new to AM and i started about a week ago in a private world.
I currently have 2 planes and 19 routes, 9 of which with an old prop (around 40 seats, over 10 years old) and 10 with a relatively new ATR. I have a DOC of 520k and a monthly profit of around 10mil. What should i do first? replace the old prop with a new one cheaper to maintain, or expand to more destinations with a new ATR? The expansion will require also the rental of another 200k gate.

Thanks again for the great help you provide us the newer in the game!

Frequent Flyer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:42:51 pm
REPLACE THE OLD PLANES -
It's not recommended to keep airplanes older than 3 years in AM - after that they start costing alot of money to maintain.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 06:34:24 pm
REPLACE THE OLD PLANES -
It's not recommended to keep airplanes older than 3 years in AM - after that they start costing alot of money to maintain.

Well, you can keep prop planes around for longer than 3 years. Although I do agree that 10-year-old planes should be scrapped for a newer one as soon as possible.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

dimitris340

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:04:12 am
Don't worry, it is already scheduled and tonight i will have brand new prop to boost my profits. Also, i will order in 2 hours another bigger prop for my expansion.
I can say that leasing is good but being an aviation enthusiast, ordering new planes is much more thrilling :P.

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:14:04 am
you have to remember those 10 year props depend on how long the world's been going for. The planes age are from the beginning of the world so if you join 10 years into the world you get 10 year old aircraft

dimitris340

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 09:22:45 am
Yes, i guessed that but that would be a good bug to fix, or even get a different plane of the same class as the world progresses. Then it would be more realistic and more fair to newer players in every world. But i think that goes to a different section of the forum.

Belfordrocks

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:11:59 am
What really irks me is when people have a cashload of money sitting there and yet still operate substamdard aircraft. So when you can, replace those ATR's with CRJ-700(ER)(LR)'s! They are a bit on the expensive side (27m), but since their speed is double that of the ATR you can use one CRJ to replace two ATR's worth of routes. Not to mention maintenance fees.

dimitris340

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 10:23:09 am
All you said is true but 1st up to the date i am there is no CRJ 700 yet and secondly my airline is a bit new so 27m are not available yet :(

Severnaya

• Airline Operative
  • The truth is more important than the facts.
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:38:59 am
What really irks me is when people have a cashload of money sitting there and yet still operate substamdard aircraft.
Not everybody has as a goal to be the #1 on the ranking. Perhaps they want to copy a real life airline, so want to play with ATRs etc.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 01:23:18 pm
What really irks me is when people have a cashload of money sitting there and yet still operate substamdard aircraft. So when you can, replace those ATR's with CRJ-700(ER)(LR)'s! They are a bit on the expensive side (27m), but since their speed is double that of the ATR you can use one CRJ to replace two ATR's worth of routes. Not to mention maintenance fees.

Maintenance on two ATRs will be almost 30% cheaper than one CRJ. Why do you think real airlines continue to use turboprops in their fleet?

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

dimitris340

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 05:40:32 pm
Just got my new ATR 42-400. Got the cheapest one, since i wanted it for small flights, bigger speed, good fuel usage and just the replacement of my old F27 in the flights gave me 20k more in DOC. Totally love it, now waiting for the new 72-200!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk