Airline Mogul Forum

when is Private worlds?

a1b23 · 59 · 13453

Dan380

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 05:32:20 pm
Quote from: "Wizzie"
In another game that I play we have a system that deals with idiots, game ruiners and AWOLs

We start off with a driver "sacking" (This is a racing game I'm talking about) his teammate. He states his reason and his teammate has 36 hours to object.

If he objects within the 36 hours then a vote begins with other drivers, the sacker and the sackee voting in a poll. After the poll is finished (24-36 hours) the majority rules.

The sacking can be abandoned by the sacker before the sackee objects but if you do you can't sack him again

This will be a great system to use because in that game it's been used for well over a year with only 1 or 2 complaints

BATracer, yeah? I used to play that.

I like the idea, it's a fair system that should hopefully stop any unfair bannings and it will save the admins having to give up their valuable time to sort through banning applications.
img]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6036/scandinaviair2smallsy1.jpg[/img]

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 10:08:34 pm
Problem is, if you're only allowed to attempt to expel someone once, and it fails, the person's going to act even more stupidly because they now know that their place will NEVER be in jeopardy any longer. The only thing keeping people from pissing other people off badly is the threat of getting kicked out and losing their tokens. Without that threat, nobody would follow the world rules.

I'm still for giving world creators the discretion to throw people out. Yes, there will be unfair expulsions, yes, people will be expelled out of spite, but the vote thing requires you to play politics, not to mention the conflict of interest issues (i.e. they're in your base and you don't want them there anymore). With a set of rules, you can hopefully eliminate most of the conflict of interest issues and people getting kicked out unfairly. And if you treat people unfairly nobody's going to join your world.

As far as the legal side of this goes, there can't be a tort action unless a tort has already been committed. You can't sue me under tort law for thinking about punching you in the face, that's protected free speech/thought.

But then, do you really want to be a part of a game that doesn't want to have you around?

Air Canada, LLC (Private W224)

Dan380

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 10:22:00 pm
Quote from: "yourefired"
I'm still for giving world creators the discretion to throw people out. Yes, there will be unfair expulsions, yes, people will be expelled out of spite, but the vote thing requires you to play politics, not to mention the conflict of interest issues (i.e. they're in your base and you don't want them there anymore). With a set of rules, you can hopefully eliminate most of the conflict of interest issues and people getting kicked out unfairly. And if you treat people unfairly nobody's going to join your world.

I'm a little confused. You're saying that a voting system would be unfair? As opposed to the host being allowed to kick out whoever he pleases?

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 10:22:36 pm
I'm saying it's not a foolproof system, just like giving creators discretion within reason.

If you were to design a 100% foolproof system the process would be so bureaucratic it may as well not exist.

Dan380

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 10:23:28 pm
But the other option is basically a dictatorship. Granting complete power to one person.

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 10:23:59 pm
Not necessarily. Depends on the way it's run. If you have multiple people running the world then no it's not a dictatorship.

No matter what system you set up people are still going to abuse it, like wizzie said.

I think there should be a system to fine people too. Otherwise the only power I have to keep people from acting stupid is to either a)throw them out, or b) threaten to throw them out (place them on probation).

a1b23

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: April 25, 2008, 11:41:23 pm
can some body answer the question i asked at the beginning when will there be private worlds?
1b23

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: April 25, 2008, 11:48:06 pm
Nobody knows, really. I suspect it'll be ready by the middle of summer.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: April 26, 2008, 12:04:21 am
I'm about 60% confident with the formula at the moment for how much each world will cost; i need to smooth some of the optional settings variance out a bit.

then i need to make a decent GUI, beyond that it's simple (the automatic script just needs a few mods here and there to make it private).  I hope, I hope it won't take too long.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: April 26, 2008, 12:07:10 am
Will you take American Express for coupon purchases? (I suspect this would require getting a merchant account with AmEx so maybe Paypal?)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: April 26, 2008, 08:26:15 am
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
then i need to make a decent GUI

I know my record is bad, but that is the funniest thing I've read all week.  :lol:

With regard to payments. We will be planning to offer both Google Checkout and Paypal.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Wizzie

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: April 27, 2008, 01:53:40 am
Sorry to ask but what's GUI?
MelAir (MLA)
ID: 11730
Flying you there in luxury
Official member of the unofficial "I need help" club

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: April 27, 2008, 04:31:26 am
Quote from: "StephenM"
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
then i need to make a decent GUI

I know my record is bad, but that is the funniest thing I've read all week.  :lol:

With regard to payments. We will be planning to offer both Google Checkout and Paypal.

Excellent.... ***gets out AmEx card***

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: April 27, 2008, 06:35:25 am
Quote from: "Wizzie"
Sorry to ask but what's GUI?

graphic user interface.

most of it is straightforward... working together the airport selection page without listing each of the (presently) 490 possible combinations. that's the tricky part.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk