Airline Mogul Forum

Congrats on improvements and a question

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
on: July 01, 2007, 11:45:49 pm
First, congrats!  Most of the new things added look and work very well.

Second, thanks on getting at least some kind of operating costs added to most of the aircraft.  I have a feeling that will help reduce my complaints about people just dropping widebodies on every city pair regardless of actual demand.

My question though:  the crew column only shows the number of cockpit crew, what about cabin crew?  I realize that, that number could change based on a particular airlines desires in cabin customization.  But shouldn't it show and figure in at least the minimum required number of f/a?  Figuring in those additional costs would also help push widebodies to where they belong, and leave turboprop aircraft as necessary parts of the fleet, instead of 'start-up' or fun to play aircraft.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

Last round I operated  MCI-SGF with 2 MD-87 round-trip daily, for 278 seats each way.  My only competition operated 3 772 round trips daily or 1320 seats each way daily.  For a total of nearly 1600 seats each way  :shock:

In reality this is a route with 2 daily B1900D flights, or total of 38 seats in each direction daily.

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

deltafan

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 01:20:40 am
First, congrats! Most of the new things added look and work very well.

Agreed! The improved game is awesome! :D
on Waite

Airline ID - 46

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:57:40 am
For now only cockpit crew is included in the formulae, and their payscale (though not entirely unrealistic) likely isn't going to have a huge impact on any real route.

For the highly curious, Pilots receive a minimum hourly wage of 20 euros (smallest i saw in USD on will fly for food was $30, so its only two-ish euros shy of that at present), this wage goes up for larger planes (generally following more seats, higher wage.)

Cabin crew will be factored in at a later date, with various effects on demand, but for now they're just flight enthusiasts roaming around the country for free :-P
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

CornField

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 02:34:05 am
Quote from: "Air Elbonia"
For now only cockpit crew is included in the formulae, and their payscale (though not entirely unrealistic) likely isn't going to have a huge impact on any real route.

For the highly curious, Pilots receive a minimum hourly wage of 20 euros (smallest i saw in USD on will fly for food was $30, so its only two-ish euros shy of that at present), this wage goes up for larger planes (generally following more seats, higher wage.)

Cabin crew will be factored in at a later date, with various effects on demand, but for now they're just flight enthusiasts roaming around the country for free :-P

That's not completely true....

Ok, lets look at this.  Most types of A/C use 2 front seaters, so approximately 40 euro per block hour.  But if we apply the FAA f/a rules and a general salary of 10 euro per block hour for cabin crew.

Now for example airline A is using a 140 seat a/c and airline B is using a 365 seat a/c on the same route. Airline A has 3 cabin crew for a cost of 30 euro per block hour.  Airline B has 8 cabin crew(Remember 1 cabin crew per 50 seats. 50 seats equals 1 cabin crew, 51 seats equals 2.) for a cabin cost of 80 euro per block hour.

Airline A had a total crew cost of 70 euro per block hour, whereas Airline B has a cabin cost of 120 euro per block hour.  Now consider this is a 2 hour one-way flight.  A single round trip will cost Airline A 280 euro in a trip(2 hour flight/round trip) where Airline B ends with a 480 euro crew cost.  Now if cockpit crew on larger A/C cost more(which they should) these numbers increase.

Now take these differences mulitply it across 40 or 50 aircraft, or even the hundreds of a/c operated, typical of the top 50 or so airlines in this game.  It does make a sizeable difference.

Your  Favorite Hometown Airline

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 02:43:35 am
It is a large difference, yes, in the end.  But, you say 480 in block costs/hr, that's likely to be only a handful of tickets worth of expense for a large gain in passenger capacity.

This age i hope to repair the alliance system as well as integrate a better broker system.  throughout, where possible  or plausable, i plan on expanding the demand mods and passenger stuff.. but for now. it's complete.  we'll see what the next 83 days brings.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:00:35 am
I will be pushing one modification to create route, runway length restrictions. :)
Cabin crew are in the database, so they can be implemented. As Air Elbonia said we have 83 days, so hopefully we can get some more interesting stuff before the game is reset to 1960/1970.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk