Airline Mogul Forum

Some realistic touches

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: August 21, 2011, 04:55:58 am
A few ideas to make the game more realistic is different pricing. Example 1st class cost more then the nubs in the back. Or executive jets being able to charge much more per person due to the space, and the fact of what kind of aircraft it is. I find it extremely unrealistic that someone would pay $1000, to ride 200 miles in a beach 1900. Ticket pricing should also be based on how far the aircraft has to go, which ties in with the $1000 a piece for 19 people to ride 200 miles. By adding this in the game it adds a realistic touch, slows growth, and allows long haul flights to being more profit by comparison which in reality ticket wise is true.

Another idea would be to allow staff control. Figure how many flight attendants are on the airplane. More service could allow more customers, where if you have a low level of service, you are less likely to be as popular. Marketing could be changed by putting more money into marketing you are putting your self out there, bringing in more people, or less if you go the cheap route in a attempt to save money.

Aircraft Maintenance cost can make or break your bank, but what about pre cautions such as having more mechanics. By having more full time mechanics, and scheduled maintenance less parts will break causing a surge in cost. It is not very realistic to have a sustained cost, for example one beach 1900, nothing goes wrong there should be no fee out side of having it inspected which could tie in with hiring mechanics. But with lack of maintenance something could break causing a major repair needing to happen which could cost $20,000.

More aircraft, i saw alot of different things on adding in classes of seats, but what about adding in options when you order the aircraft such as more expensive interior. Instead of the base seats lets add tvs in the back of every seat. By having a nicer aircraft it could tie in with adding in a "popularity" of your airline which could inturn go with my suggestions above.

Thank you for reading my mess of writing rate hate. Talk about it

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:27:15 am
Can I change your suggestion a little? ;)
A few ideas to make the game more realistic is different pricing. Example 1st class cost more then the nubs in the back. Or executive jets being able to charge much more per person due to the space, and the fact of what kind of aircraft it is. I find it extremely unrealistic that someone would pay $1000, to ride 200 miles in a beach 1900. Ticket pricing should also be based on how far the aircraft has to go, which ties in with the $1000 a piece for 19 people to ride 200 miles. By adding this in the game it adds a realistic touch, slows growth, and allows long haul flights to being more profit by comparison which in reality ticket wise is true.
That is really a good idea - to tie the price with the distance, instead of the amount of seats. Base price could then be e.g. €100 for 200 miles. The beach has 19 seats, that could give a bonus of 10%. It flies 250 knots (just a number), that could give yet another bonus of 25%. That leaves the price at €135. If it were a 737, it would have higher bonuses.
But there's still a cap on the amount of total sold seats (total customers, that is) - let's say that in this example it is 500 seats. If the amount of sold seats exceeds the cap number, the total price would suffer from a penalty. That way it would make sense to fly a regional route with a 1900D instead of a 737.

Another idea would be to allow staff control. Figure how many flight attendants are on the airplane. More service could allow more customers, where if you have a low level of service, you are less likely to be as popular. Marketing could be changed by putting more money into marketing you are putting your self out there, bringing in more people, or less if you go the cheap route in a attempt to save money.
That could be combined with the price suggestion, so if you have good service, you could add a bonus of x%, but if you have bad service, you have to subtract y%. Then it's up to the player to see if bad service saves money, or good service gives more money.
I just think it should be overall service, instead of per route. That will make it all much more simple.

Aircraft Maintenance cost can make or break your bank, but what about pre cautions such as having more mechanics. By having more full time mechanics, and scheduled maintenance less parts will break causing a surge in cost. It is not very realistic to have a sustained cost, for example one beach 1900, nothing goes wrong there should be no fee out side of having it inspected which could tie in with hiring mechanics. But with lack of maintenance something could break causing a major repair needing to happen which could cost $20,000.
I believe that the staff is developing a new maintenance formula, but it has been promised several years ago.

More aircraft, i saw alot of different things on adding in classes of seats, but what about adding in options when you order the aircraft such as more expensive interior. Instead of the base seats lets add tvs in the back of every seat. By having a nicer aircraft it could tie in with adding in a "popularity" of your airline which could inturn go with my suggestions above.
That may be a little harder to do, but I think it can be done. That could also add a bonus to the ticket price.

Thank you for reading my mess of writing rate hate. Talk about it
Thank you for some brilliant suggestions! I hope you like my additions :)

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:58:09 am

As an option, of course ;) But this point is pretty valid. Many airlines have TVs in every seat, and some even charge money for the use of them. They can also show commercials, which would earn extra money (but lower the rating).
Some airlines have really nice 1st class cabins (Emirates), while some offer the same cabin they offered in the 1980s (Large seats). A seat selection would be nice.

Another nice suggestion along these lines is the sky-shop. Many airlines have duty-free shops/catalogues.   
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:57:25 am
Thank you for your replys, and changes are appreciated. I just joined recently, but i would love to see this game grow. There is alot of market for this game that is untouched in my opinion only reason i even found the game is because i was searching for a air mogul game that i have been playing since i was like 7 or 8 I have on disk looking for a download because it was made in like 1999, and does not work with windows 7 lol.  Anyways if this game had some adds in places that involve aviation like vatsim, or software sites for flight sim.

Sean Patrick

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:45:07 am
Hi my first post. I was thinking about what you said about the pricing system. No one really takes a plane to fly less than 100-200 km/miles. Thus made add a modifier thus plane flies for 200 miles gives a modification of 1.00 on the price, if a plane only flies 100 miles then the prices i multiplied by 0.5 (halving the price) if plane flies 400 miles it is multiplied by 2.00 etc. along those lines. it is a rough idea if people don't understand I'll be glad to have another knack at explaining it.

I just created a route from Heathrow to Gatwick and am charging 40 people 600€ for the pleasure haha.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 03:47:04 pm
No one really takes a plane to fly less than 100-200 km/miles.

Really? Thousands of people do every day.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 05:08:34 pm
Hi my first post. I was thinking about what you said about the pricing system. No one really takes a plane to fly less than 100-200 km/miles. Thus made add a modifier thus plane flies for 200 miles gives a modification of 1.00 on the price, if a plane only flies 100 miles then the prices i multiplied by 0.5 (halving the price) if plane flies 400 miles it is multiplied by 2.00 etc. along those lines. it is a rough idea if people don't understand I'll be glad to have another knack at explaining it.

I just created a route from Heathrow to Gatwick and am charging 40 people 600€ for the pleasure haha.

Sub-200 km routes are often some of the most lucrative routes of them all. Danish airlines are spinning gold on domestic services in Denmark, the longest of which is no more than 239 km.

Services to islands, such as Copenhagen - Bornholm (147 km) or Dar-Es-Salaam - Zanzibar (73 km) are also extremely profitable, for the simple fact that they are islands. Islanders often have no other serious alternative to flying.

And you will find that travelling 50 km by road often takes a whole day once you leave the nice comforts of Europe and America. Africa/South America/Australasia/Asia are huge continents with huge populations, but with rather few roads and almost no railroads. And tickets in Africa actually cost almost as much as a ticket to Europe, so in fact the opposite should be done. Prices should be raised on short routes.    

My proposal to solve the short-nonsensical routes is a major revamp of the route system. Instead of calculating numbers based on how many passengers travel to/from the airport per year, airport usage numbers should instead be calculated from the total population of a certain region. In other words, airlines at Heathrow would compete for the same passengers as airlines from Gatwick and Luton and City and Stanstead. The London region would have somewhere around 14 mio passengers.
By comparison, Moscow actually has a much larger market, around 18 mio.

Calculating yields and prices based on this model allows players to compete in a much more dynamic fashion than today. It opens up more choices. It makes more sense. It allows airlines to grow realistically beyond what real-world airlines have done so far, by allowing us to cultivate a market, and growing it.  

Routes within a region would of course be limited by VERY low yields.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:32:13 pm by Virgin Serbia »

Sean Patrick

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 10:39:40 pm
I like your idea of area population.

I know many people fly short distance around Denmark. etc.

But Virgin Atlantic have made a successful business model of only long haul, Long haul is where the money is in the airline industry, it avoids competing with trains etc. the long and short of it is I would not pay 1000€ to fly from Paris to Paris... for example, in the grand scheme of things short haul is less money making than long haul.
 I think the region idea is very good how ever i currently am charging people to fly to Lyon from Heathrow 1000€ not exactly perfect. i guess it would be hard to implement a perfect model however.

Just throwing my idea's into the mix, until it is sorted though I feel a flight from LHR to LGW for 800€ sounds pretty good.

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 10:55:35 pm

Sub-200 km routes are often some of the most lucrative routes of them all. Danish airlines are spinning gold on domestic services in Denmark, the longest of which is no more than 239 km.

Services to islands, such as Copenhagen - Bornholm (147 km) or Dar-Es-Salaam - Zanzibar (73 km) are also extremely profitable, for the simple fact that they are islands. Islanders often have no other serious alternative to flying.

And you will find that travelling 50 km by road often takes a whole day once you leave the nice comforts of Europe and America. Africa/South America/Australasia/Asia are huge continents with huge populations, but with rather few roads and almost no railroads. And tickets in Africa actually cost almost as much as a ticket to Europe, so in fact the opposite should be done. Prices should be raised on short routes.   

My proposal to solve the short-nonsensical routes is a major revamp of the route system. Instead of calculating numbers based on how many passengers travel to/from the airport per year, airport usage numbers should instead be calculated from the total population of a certain region. In other words, airlines at Heathrow would compete for the same passengers as airlines from Gatwick and Luton and City and Stanstead. The London region would have somewhere around 14 mio passengers.
By comparison, Moscow actually has a much larger market, around 18 mio.

Calculating yields and prices based on this model allows players to compete in a much more dynamic fashion than today. It opens up more choices. It makes more sense. It allows airlines to grow realistically beyond what real-world airlines have done so far, by allowing us to cultivate a market, and growing it.   

Routes within a region would of course be limited by VERY low yields.

It's an interesting concept, but then you'd have to find a way to factor in local economies and tourist attraction to make it realistic again.

By your proposal, China Would have an Airline industry 4 times (maybe) bigger than the US. As any other economic model, aviation industry runs on the demand-supply theory. Moscow may be larger than London, but does it attract as much people in or send out as much people out? Population =/= market size. I think the pax numbers are a good basis for this game's spply-demand system. Maybe we could lump in airports like the 3 in Moscow, the 6 or seven in the LA region for price calculation purposes.

Alouette Aviation - Österreichische Wetterstrecken - Blå Løve Luftveje - Imperskiye Nebesa

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:24:13 am
By your proposal, China would have an Airline industry 4 times (maybe) bigger than the US.

Yep. This is of course based on the assumption that China (and the whole world) has a free market, as in AM. Of course the market is larger in China. It just isn't as large in the game.

Regarding the demand system, we could have 3 tiers of regions. 1st world regions (Europe, America), 2nd world (developing countries such as China, India, Egypt etc) and 3rd world (Tanzania, Zimbabwe).

1st world regions would have high yields. 2nd tier would have slightly lower yields (as a result of more poverty), while 3rd tier would be lower yet. That said, 2nd and 3rd world regions are often larger (population wise) than 1st world regions, balancing it all out.
While 1st world regions would cover only a city or state in which the airport is located, 3rd world airports would possibly cover entire nations due to the lack of airports in the region.

andytyork

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 11:34:52 am

I definitely agree with some sort of airline rating system. Maybe linked with airlines being established as well as their service? So the airline ranking goes up if the service is good, but then also an airport ranking. If an airline has been based in an airport for a number of years, they would have a higher ranking than a new-comer, who would start off with a 0 airport ranking. That would stop bigger airlines opening bases and forcing smaller airlines out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk