Airline Mogul Forum

Critique of new features

Seattlepilot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: October 04, 2008, 05:17:21 pm
I am not sure if i like the new AM. Here are my reasons :
- Too many graphics. I like simple websites, like the one you had before.
- A lot more pictures , it's fine and dandy but what will be the impact of this to the server load?
- Aircraft list lacks age column. This is a major drawback. I use this feature a lot to replace aging aircraft , now i have to click on the individual aircraft to find out the age.
- I like pull down menus vs. the submenu system adopted on this release.

I am still looking at more stuff and will add more things here.. My biggest issue is the website being too crowded.

Seattlepilot

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 05:22:40 pm
AM was completely outdated. it was something from the early 2000s design era, largely from a person who cant design to save his life. (Me) it was re-themed to be improved, and that helped with the aim to bring it into something that reflects current design. (The last design and this)

Server load problems are mainly database related.

Age is there, its currently in a row that you expand. We can change around the data displayed.

The dropdowns that were in use didn't work with most browsers, despite their simple nature, so they had to be changed.

Remember, change isn't for everyone. Every time we release something new, someone is bound to be happier with the old. We are here to move the game forward in a general sense, it doesn't always work though.

Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

DAK

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:25:25 pm
SM, I like it at first glance. It is a modern fresh design with more links on each page. Private world will be good. I like the filtering in the market pages. Could do with displaying the days to delivery on the aircraft list without having to expand (especially once having dozens on order)

And the edit selection back on the route page without having to expand would be nice, as would the LF in plain view be.

Overall, well done.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:31:45 pm by DAK »

grogri

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 05:39:40 pm
well done!! really well done! a good refresh of the old theme, very intersting the option Research Routes, i wait it for a long time....just one question, i don't found the Google map routes....

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:42:09 pm
well done!! really well done! a good refresh of the old theme, very intersting the option Research Routes, i wait it for a long time....just one question, i don't found the Google map routes....
research route was there since the dawn of time  ???

route map is in admin

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 05:42:20 pm

Research route was there before. Are you using Internet Explorer? Maybe it was not available on that browser.

As for the Google maps version of routes, see here under Admin. There you can go to "traditional" or Google versions of your route map.

DAK

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 05:42:33 pm
grogri, research route has been around for a long time....

google maps here: http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/admin.php

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 05:49:43 pm
Smaller fonts and proper use of wide displays make for a much better interface.

Before, on a 1680x1050 screen, I had the aircraft list all squeezed to the left with mostly all plane names and whatnot wrapped on 3 lines, while half the screen was just blank wasted space. Now it looks WAY better!

pharmy

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 05:56:42 pm
Two questions regarding private worlds: token costs of creating one (are they only shown at the end of the creation?), and if there could be folder on the forum for discussing/joining/recruiting for these (kinda like the alliance folder now?)

Aircraft market looks way better, and the impending aircraft deliviries feature is great for at work / at a glance gameplay

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 05:58:54 pm
Two questions regarding private worlds: token costs of creating one (are they only shown at the end of the creation?), and if there could be folder on the forum for discussing/joining/recruiting for these (kinda like the alliance folder now?)

Yes, just "spec" up your world, put in the options you want, and click on the Calculate Cost button to get a cost, if you are happy, you can then create the world.
Stephen Murphy

BBAir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 06:05:14 pm
Personally, I really liked the old look - the new one will take some time to get used to - but am sure I'll start loving it  :-*

I found two bugs so far:

1. I cannot click on the '+' sign on the View Aircraft/View Route page (using IE) - comes up with an error
2. The maintenance cost on the Aircraft page are incorrect - showing a completely different (lower) figure than in Finances.

Thanks for the great game!

XeniaAirways

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 06:43:35 pm
The pull-down menus seem to work with Firefox and most modern browsers.  I've also seen some JavaScript that can be added to the code (works with HTML, not sure about XHTML/XML) so that in browsers that can support the pull-down menu, it'll show as a pull-down menu, in those that can't, it will behave like your current design - click to expand the menu. :D

PM me ingame (Xenia Airways, World 9) if you'd like the link to the code (I'll have to dig it up).  If you PM me on the forum, I probably won't reply for a while since I don't check here often.
Xenia Air Holdings Ltd.

Current worlds:
None.

Past worlds:
Xenia Airways - W9 and W10
Zenith Airlines - PW133
AsiaExpress - PW465
silversky - PW705

ID#14564.

Seattlepilot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 06:47:44 pm
I log in at the following page
http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/index.php

after login i get to the 'chose world' screen

http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/select_world.php

Once i select 'Public World #10' I get to the following page.

http://www.airlinemogul.com/airlinemogul/view_world.php?wid=10

So , the problem is took me some 10-15 minutes to figure out that this was a 'view' screen.

'Enter the world ' is a single , small link on the right side.

Once again, the easy to use , very functional design is gone and now we have a website that is crowded, very complex and hard to get used to.

Stephen, I have so much respect for the work that you and your teammates put together. I simply don't buy the 'change is hard sometimes'. Design of a website is not something that you make a big leap forward like you guys did.. You have to take a look at the Southwest Airlines website to see a simple, very functional website. It has also changed very little in last 10-15 years.

Seattlepilot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 06:58:43 pm
Under aircraft main menu :
Statistics has some dead links: total # of routes, total destinations, daily pax.
Mx cost figure, which is a hyperlink, doesn't match with the figure you display on the resulting page..

Under Aircraft - > Aircraft Market :
The delivery time of a pair of A319s jumped to 68 days from 40ish before the upgrade.

One thing i like: Aircraft filter section. No more 'next page's forever or trying to guess the page by changing the URL.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 07:01:10 pm
One thing i like: Aircraft filter section. No more 'next page's forever or trying to guess the page by changing the URL.

Thats not working exactly how its supposed to, there is a bug where sometimes it takes out part of the aircraft you filter out.
Stephen Murphy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk