Airline Mogul Forum

Best long haul aircraft?

Dobbins

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: June 30, 2011, 09:53:34 pm
I looked on the first three pages of this forum and didn't see this topic, so sorry if I missed it.

I am looking for the best airliner for transatlantic flight.  Curious to know what everyone else uses.  I have heard a lot of people say that they are opposed to 747s as they are not fuel efficient.

Currently, the year is 1981 and I am using Vickers VC-10s (Supers).

Is there anything that could do at least two flights a day between London and New York, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Etc?  Besides Concord and other supersonic aircraft.  Thanks!

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:19:36 pm
Link please ;)
Sincerely, Mastafa

blue25

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 11:54:55 pm
I looked on the first three pages of this forum and didn't see this topic, so sorry if I missed it.

I am looking for the best airliner for transatlantic flight.  Curious to know what everyone else uses.  I have heard a lot of people say that they are opposed to 747s as they are not fuel efficient.

Is there anything that could do at least two flights a day between London and New York, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Etc?  Besides Concord and other supersonic aircraft.  Thanks!
Here's a link to the information needed before we, as a community, may help you out: http://stephenm.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=10272.0
Alto Airlines [ID: 2167]

Dobbins

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:48:49 am
Guys, its a generic opinion question.  What is you favorite long haul aircraft?

Here is a link to the person that wanted it:

Airline Mogul - See my airline

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 08:58:39 pm
The world I'm in, the year is 1977, but this, and other rounds in the general time era, I've usually had great luck with the Tu-114D, it has a range of about 6500 nautical miles, speed of 432 knots (ok, not the fastest, but still not the slowest either), and 120 seats, and costs about some 75 mil to buy new. The aircraft is fairly flexible (and by that, I mean simple to use in a variety of situations) in my opinion, so even those who operate out of airports with 2 million pax could possibly pull a nice profit and keep it for a few years. Downside for you, in 1981, it's discontinued that year, so order up as much if you can if you find them interesting. In the years it's offered, it's possibly the most ordered long range aircraft simply because of those reasons! Sort of like how (and I'm tangent from airlines here into railroads), how the PKP Class EU06 and 07 has operated for almost 50 years.

If you want a very rough estimate if it could do those routes 2x, you can go to the Great Circle Mapper (link: http://www.gcmap.com/ ), set up the route you want, here is JFK-LHR with a 2x freq. applied and the L1011-500's speed:
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-JFK-LHR-JFK-LHR-JFK-LHR-JFK&MS=wls&DU=nm&SG=525&SU=kts
39 hours, so definitely out of the question. A lot changes between 77' and 81' though, so I can't say if there will be faster, non- supersonic planes that can do it off the top of my head in the game by then. If you could get something with a 600 kts or 700kts, you may be lucky there.

As for 747s and fuel efficiency? I suppose if you can make good profit off them, then they're good! The problem with 747s is their price. They are quite expensive aircraft to buy, and since the Maintenance is still a function of the MSRP and the age of the aircraft, it makes it a VERY expensive plane to own, but seeing you're out of LHR, you can possibly do something with it (though I would recommend smaller, cheaper aircraft if possible. The 747 in this game can do what the 747 did in the beginning, kill off a lot of airlines that wanted it because they just wanted a giant beer can in their fleet, but with no idea of how to use it properly.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:05:17 pm by LOT 737-300 »

Kubla

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:27:01 pm
The 767-200 comes out in 1982.  Mostly I think people like it for high density domestic routes, but it has the legs to do LHR-JFK, -PHL, -IAD though not Chicago or Miami. 

lederhosen

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 10:00:52 pm

I like the DC-10-30ER for that time period. The L-1011 has longer legs, and the 767 will be out soon but I find the DC-10-30ER works very well.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 11:05:35 pm
I like the DC-10-30ER for that time period. The L-1011 has longer legs, and the 767 will be out soon but I find the DC-10-30ER works very well.

MX will kill you
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

Dobbins

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 11:46:52 pm
I have purchased a pair of DC-8-55s a month apart from each other.  I get my first in two months, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 02:49:50 am
I have purchased a pair of DC-8-55s a month apart from each other.  I get my first in two months, so I'll let you know how it turns out.
Looking at this aircraft, it looks quite promising, especially on the routes you'd like to use it on! Not sure how crowded LHR is right now in your world. If it's not as crowded, you may even get away with using 250 seater maybe that isn't too badly priced!

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 11:22:00 pm
In 1981... Go for Ilyushin Il-62. It has the needed range, a good acapacity and an acceptable price if I remember correctly (around 180 million). The Tu-114 is in fact a propeller aircraft, but it is incredibly good!

If you want to have western-built aircraft, buy DC-8's or Lockheed 1011's (go for the -200). The DC-8's are cheap, but lacks speed and range compared to the Tristar. The Tristar flies 530 knots, enabling you to do many more routes, and seats 256 passengers. The -200 costs 177 million.

Personally, I would go for the Lockheed L1011-200.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 09:10:36 am
Agreed^^^^

The Tu-114 (passenger version of the Tu-95 Bear) is very fast and economic.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk