Id:14174

The new definition of crazy:
http://www.timecube.com/

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:00:01 pm
As Stephen has said, he is more comfortable to have other developers who are even more competent than he is to take care of that feature. AM has been looking for developers without much success. As a result, we cannot give you a time frame on that.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Seattlepilot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 02:38:59 am
do you  have any analyzers on this ? developing it is probably 30% of the work.

Also , you don't have to do the entire hot swap all at once.

To give you an idea :
- Phase one : Hotswap with identical airplanes (Say A319 with same config to another A319)
- Phase two : Hotswap with downward compatible airplanes (A320 cna always replace a B737-500 but not always the other way around)
- Phase three : Hotwaps with different type of airplanes (Replace a321 route with B777)

I know that there are many more things to consider when doing a hotswap, but even an implementation like the phase one will save everyone a lot of time.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 02:43:31 am by Seattlepilot »

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 07:13:12 am
Sorry... but what you do mean by analyzer? Do we need to do a marketing research on it? Probably not. A feasibility study? Don't think so. Effect on finances for AM? hmm... new idea :S  Anyway... those are wild guesses, so please enlight us.
D Express (id 616) 8)

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:40:53 am
It would be really good to just swap identical aircraft. This would save a large amount of the difficulty for players in swapping aircraft. Only the IDs need to be changed in the database. I shouldn't think this would be too difficult to make, but then again, I don't have any experience in this.

Seattlepilot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:18:26 am
Sorry... but what you do mean by analyzer? Do we need to do a marketing research on it? Probably not. A feasibility study? Don't think so. Effect on finances for AM? hmm... new idea :S  Anyway... those are wild guesses, so please enlight us.
Wow.. You know, these kind of smart ass remarks towards people that are trying to help doesn't help. In real IT world, even for non revenue generating projects like AM you never start coding. You need someone to analyze the code.
I hope you know that much about coding..

Get off your high horse and accept some ideas, critisism and produce something that is going to really help people. We are the customer.. We are in desperate need of hot swap.

Once again, priority of hot swap should be #1. Putting the code together to convert aircraft age from a single digit to a decimal one should never be worked on.

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:29 pm
Although it may not be your number one priority, small things like decimal places on aircraft ages are actually the kind of important changes that the AM team should, and does, work on. It is a very useful tool. When a plane might only be used for 3 years, the difference between 2.0 and 2.9 years old is quite important. This is also simple enough to code; the ages are already known to at least this detail and it only needs someone to alter the code to round to one decimal place, rather than none.

This is a useful, but small, addition that has been requested before. That is a perfect example of the developers seeing the "ideas" from players and working on them. People also suggested hot swaps, and so the developers are working on it too. It is much larger and will take longer to develop. While it is reasonable to ask how long it may take (the purpose of this thread), it is counterproductive to continue hassling the developers, instead of letting them get on with improving the game.

I would also point out that I too could only guess at what you meant by "analyzer" until you clarified it. As for the "smart ass remarks", I think the AM team has been quite polite considering the continual complaints and "smart ass" comments coming from yourself. If you don't like the way the game is run, leave.
Alternatively, you could find enough money for a proper market research team.

DAK

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 12:58:04 pm
Seattle pilot, you are a bit of a know it all little tw@t aren't you? All your posts are aggressive in tone and do not contribute to a discussion. I suggest you  leave AM and find a game for like minded stuck up their own @rse individuals like you.

ta ta  :D :D

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 02:35:05 pm
Although it may not be your number one priority, small things like decimal places on aircraft ages are actually the kind of important changes that the AM team should, and does, work on. It is a very useful tool. When a plane might only be used for 3 years, the difference between 2.0 and 2.9 years old is quite important. This is also simple enough to code; the ages are already known to at least this detail and it only needs someone to alter the code to round to one decimal place, rather than none.

I thought I added that over the weekend? To view aircraft?
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 03:08:00 pm
You did. Seattlepilot had been criticising it

"Putting the code together to convert aircraft age from a single digit to a decimal one should never be worked on. "

I was explaining the fact that it was not a major update (not taking away significantly from hot swaps) and that it was much more important than he had first thought.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 03:28:31 pm
Thanks CHR and DAK.

AM is a collaboration...
... but the team, especially Stephen, still has the final control.

It is not about getting off our high horse because we have been accepting ideas and we are the status quo. It is a given that we are on high horses but that does not conflict with us listening... we are not deaf. Using your horse analogy, I would like to point out that sitting on a high horse could let us see farther and wider into the horizon, where everyone else on foot may not be able to see. Horses go quick and can quickly take us to where we want to go. Those are thress reasons why the leaders / generals in the historic periods all go into war on a horse or in a cart pulled by horses.

As far as suggestions go, we can't get all of them done within a night. That is just not possible.
D Express (id 616) 8)

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 04:14:48 pm
You did. Seattlepilot had been criticising it

"Putting the code together to convert aircraft age from a single digit to a decimal one should never be worked on. "

I was explaining the fact that it was not a major update (not taking away significantly from hot swaps) and that it was much more important than he had first thought.

Sorry about that, I read as much as I can when I get on, but it doesn't mean I read everything.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Dooskie III

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 01:56:25 am
Wow.. You know, these kind of smart ass remarks towards people that are trying to help doesn't help. In real IT world, even for non revenue generating projects like AM you never start coding. You need someone to analyze the code.
I hope you know that much about coding..

Get off your high horse and accept some ideas, critisism and produce something that is going to really help people. We are the customer.. We are in desperate need of hot swap.

Once again, priority of hot swap should be #1. Putting the code together to convert aircraft age from a single digit to a decimal one should never be worked on.

Seattle Pilot, which world are you currently in? Also, you from Seattle? I grew up in Bremerton.  8)

Seattlepilot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 01:57:24 pm
I am in W10. I live in Renton.. Bremerton is nice, we go there all the time for $100 fish and chips :)

Dooskie III

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 10:29:01 pm
I am in W10. I live in Renton.. Bremerton is nice, we go there all the time for $100 fish and chips :)
What's your airline name in W10?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk