Airline Mogul Forum

new to the game

scottj63

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 04:46:54 pm
doing pretty good, my worth is now 720 mil with a dop of about 4.5 mil a day. I have 32 aircraft including a couple long haulers. I built my own terminal in a midsized airport also. I have a question for the community. I know the game doesnt imitate real life, but come on now. I work in Iraq in real life. I know how much my plane tickets cost from the UAE to the Philippines and to the states, shouldnt there be some consistency inthe pricing inthe game as to real life prices. Seems to me owning long haulers just isnt smart financially when you can only charge 400 euros for a ticket that I pay 800 euros for whenever I fly (laughing)

Scott in Philippines on a longggggggggg vacation

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
  • E outra vez conquistaremos a Distância
    • View Profile
    • SkyPact-Concept Alliance
Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 04:59:24 pm
I had pretty much the same question/complaint a little while back, when I started playing. Namely, I protested that it makes no sense to have a route as London Heathrow to London Gatwick reach prices almost as high as, say, London to New York.

What was explained to me (probably Air Elbonia, not sure) was that, when competition sets in, this apparent oddity gets corrected. And it sure does. When the world is young going longhaul does not make much sense, since you can charge pretty much the same for shorter routes, of which a plane can serve plenty per day. As competion starts to heat up, fares on short routes drop rapidly. Longhaul not so fast.

By the end of the round, and as far as pricing goes, this simulation gets much closer to real life.

Steeler83

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 05:17:32 pm
Quote from: "mg35pt"
I had pretty much the same question/complaint a little while back, when I started playing. Namely, I protested that it makes no sense to have a route as London Heathrow to London Gatwick reach prices almost as high as, say, London to New York.

What was explained to me (probably Air Elbonia, not sure) was that, when competition sets in, this apparent oddity gets corrected. And it sure does. When the world is young going longhaul does not make much sense, since you can charge pretty much the same for shorter routes, of which a plane can serve plenty per day. As competion starts to heat up, fares on short routes drop rapidly. Longhaul not so fast.

By the end of the round, and as far as pricing goes, this simulation gets much closer to real life.

True that, and to throw in a reference to the LF, your LF becomes more realistic -- drops from the 95+ range down to the 60-70% range, too ;-)

I already added a new base and I will build that up domestically, but my other hubs I will build up international routes.  I think I may launch some from DCA after all to a few locations...
teeler83
Founder and CEO of Buon Giorno! Airlines

scottj63

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 09:49:15 am
ok, so the prices for flying the long hauls might not be as high as they should be, but as competition comes the prices drop less..... I guess that is a fair trade off. When you pay 155 million for a plane and it only brings in 250k a day that doesnt seem to be smart business though. I have bought a few longer hauling planes because to me that is how my airline would progress in real life too.

For changes in the game in the future, the odd plane accident would be a good random event. Buying that 200 mil jumbo and losing it soon after would be a BIG shock the company. Late planes affecting customer base would be nice too.

scott in the Philippines on a long vacation

scottj63

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 09:59:09 am
talk about no consistency, I have 27 different types of aircraft in the company (laughing) I find something that looks good in the "for sale" market and buy it. The Caravelles are very nice and the Argosy for short routes are incredible, just not enough for sale in the open market (laughing)

scott in the philippines for a longggggggggg vacation

scottj63

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 05:28:22 pm
ok, maybe someone can explain to me how in such a short round (time) someone can have 30x 737 and 50 Caravelles? Am I missing something like a credit market or something (laughing) I'd like to think im doing pretty decent for starting from scratch this round, but I have like 35 planes total with my 800 mil company value.

scott in the philippines on long vacation

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 05:37:49 pm
Quote from: "scottj63"
ok, maybe someone can explain to me how in such a short round (time) someone can have 30x 737 and 50 Caravelles? Am I missing something like a credit market or something (laughing) I'd like to think im doing pretty decent for starting from scratch this round, but I have like 35 planes total with my 800 mil company value.

scott in the philippines on long vacation

Compared to the top players I am pretty bad (currently at rank 37). Perhaps I may help you but I need your airline ID.
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 05:42:45 pm
ONLY 30x 737 and 50x Caravelles? Probably a noob, playing very poorly. :lol:  :P

(Am I being mean?)

Remember this round we all started with a very good plane and plenty of cash. Those that did not start saving for the first Boeing and did not engage too early in pointless wars started growing very fast and very soon.

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 06:07:35 pm
You make me feel like I am a loser. Have only 39 B732Adv's on order along with three long-haulers :cry:  :wink:
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 07:05:09 pm
You guys are gonna make me cry. I have 21 mil in cash and I'm only worth 72 mil, making 787k a day. :(

I have 4 DC9s on order though...I got a very generous discount. Someone's ordering on my behalf and while I save up the cash.

Air Canada, LLC (Private W224)

scottj63

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: March 25, 2008, 01:45:33 am
finally worth over a billion (1.2 billion now) with a dop of 5 million. Long hauls are still disappointing with how much they make. Another suggestion I have is the ability to replace a plane and have all the routes the old plane was on picked up by the new plane you replaced it with. It takes a lot to do when you replace a short hauler that has 8 runs a day to various cities. A simple "click and replace" would be great. My best plane (757) only makes 250k a day.

Scott in Philippines on LONGGGGGGGGGGG vacation

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: March 25, 2008, 01:58:24 am
I decided to stay above the fray and offer all-business class service instead on executive jets. 20 seats on a plane designed for 172.....now that's something to write home about. If the round was longer I'd actually start phasing out nonpremium services as I start phasing in executive aircraft, but the round ends in like a week so it's not worth it. Plus even the most overpriced executive jets cost like 19 million.

5.4 million euro DOP, 245 million net worth.

Fleet:
4 DC9-40 (2 more to be purchased soon)
2 DC9-50 to be delivered soon
1 Dash8
2 YS11
1 MD83 executive jet (5 to be delivered today, 4 more tomorrow), 2 leased
1 MD83 on order
2 EMB120s to be purchased soon with 2 more to be delivered soon
1 EMB110 (to be phased out, replaced with EMB120s)
9 leased 10Bs
And a bunch of other leases

I know, I have much fewer planes than others but this is all in a week's work.

Air Canada, LLC (Private W224)

brotonee

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: March 25, 2008, 06:10:08 am
Quote from: "yourefired"
I decided to stay above the fray and offer all-business class service instead on executive jets. 20 seats on a plane designed for 172.....now that's something to write home about. If the round was longer I'd actually start phasing out nonpremium services as I start phasing in executive aircraft, but the round ends in like a week so it's not worth it. Plus even the most overpriced executive jets cost like 19 million.

This is something I'd like to do.
What would be ideal is if the programming allowed for this sort of plane to charge a higher fare - after all, it is a premium service and as such it should have a premium price.
Perhaps something to look at in addition to the class system when you guys have enough time to focus on other stuff like that.
6: Koruconnect - NZM - Australasia - Sky World Global Alliance - No longer operational
W8: Bluebird - DJI - Australasia
Global AM ID: 8834

scottj63

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 12:26:40 pm
well i have only been playing the game since this round, but even I have learned that lots of frequencies is bad for business to one place. In the Philippines seems some people putting many mulitple routes in.......... Good thing I have a big of money now (worth 1.4bil.) So I can play the low cost airfare game, but the people that do the 8x routes sure take a lot of fun out of the game (laughing)

And I agree that some features would be nice as a Premium service class, redoing the long haul system to make it a little more realistic, random events to make you change up your strategy if required (crashes, on time, passenger happiness).

The game is incredible and I thank the designers for their hard work

scott in philippines for a longgggggggg vacation

Chavaquiah

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 12:32:07 pm
Quote from: "brotonee"
What would be ideal is if the programming allowed for this sort of plane to charge a higher fare

But it does!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk