Airline Mogul Forum

Can someone with experience take a look at my airline

johnnybax

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:33 am
Airline Mogul - One Sky Airways

Our game started in 1967 an it is now January 1968.  I've got some planes from 1967 still but not very many.

Added 30 Boeing 737-200's to my fleet yesterday. Increased my DOC by 9% after routing them (keep in mind I didn't rent any new gates, they were gates already in use from other hubs). Today after the month changed over I look at my new finance report and see that my monthly revenue is only up 2%, monthly costs are up 12% and monthly profit is down 1%.   Maintenance jumped 25% too. Need to reevaluate my strategy before doing anything else.

Only thing I can think of that hurt me besides the jump in maintenance is the routes I setup. I'm trying to stay away from long haul flights as long as possible because I've read that long haul is hardly profitable. All the routes I setup yesterday were <2000 miles though, I didn't really consider them long hauls.

Can anyone offer some insight as to why my profits tanked after those changes?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:59:00 am by johnnybax »

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 08:38:49 am
It is probably because of the maintenance formula that is flawed. You should see another jump in profits next month change.

We have beta-tested a new maintenance formula in a recent public world, so it is not very far away. But with this current formula, you should expect to see some irrational behaviour. I hope it is not too troublesome!

Regarding long haul, yes, it's not very profitable, but it makes for some neat routes. And it won't ruin your airline unless you fly jumbojets to some desolate pacific island ;)

johnnybax

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:33:51 pm
Thanks for the reply Matias.

Just checked my new report for this month.  Maintenance is up another 23%!!  The world I'm playing in is only 2 years old, is this standard for maint. to be eating up my profits at such a huge rate in such a short time?

My profits this month are down again this month, 4%.  Should I expect my maint. fees to grow at 20+% per month?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:24:47 am
No, the maintenance formula should behave within a month or so. As it is right now, the maintenance cost is calculated by the average age of your fleet and the total value of your fleet.

norge

• Airline Supervisor
  • Partially Inactive
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:35:12 pm
I have to say, that is a really nice logo. :D

johnnybax

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 12:26:17 am
No, the maintenance formula should behave within a month or so. As it is right now, the maintenance cost is calculated by the average age of your fleet and the total value of your fleet.
Thanks again for your help.  Yesterday I sold 16 of my oldest planes (2 years) and todays finance report is out and maintenance is down 24%...  Finally got my DOC above 100k and monthly profit above 2 Billion.

johnnybax

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 12:27:11 am
I have to say, that is a really nice logo. :D
Thanks!  Made it myself.

metallurgy

• Airline Operative
  • Happy flying!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 02:07:18 am
   http://www.airlinemogul.com/show_airline.php?id=32962&wid=3205
                                                     /\
                                                      l
                                                      l
                               Not sure if I did that right, to show you all my airline. My airline is Metalurgy International.

I would like some experienced players to look at my airline and let me know how I am doing. I have been playing AM about 3 years now, but this time is by far my best game ever!  I have never gotten this big before, so i am inexperienced on what to do, where to go from here.  I know I need to replace my planes, as they are old. I bought them used, and very cheap.  lol   I am uncertain what planes to try to acquire now, and how many to get. I am making about $400M a day. I still have quite a few 377 Stratocarriers to use, but they will get used quickly.

How many miles defines the difference between short/medium/long haul flights?

Any other tips/suggestions are very much appreciated.  Thank you for your time and happy flying!!!

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 10:05:23 am
                                                     /\
                                                      l
                                                      l
                               Not sure if I did that right, to show you all my airline. My airline is Metalurgy International.
It works perfectly fine :)

I would like some experienced players to look at my airline and let me know how I am doing. I have been playing AM about 3 years now, but this time is by far my best game ever!  I have never gotten this big before, so i am inexperienced on what to do, where to go from here.  I know I need to replace my planes, as they are old. I bought them used, and very cheap.  lol   I am uncertain what planes to try to acquire now, and how many to get. I am making about $400M a day. I still have quite a few 377 Stratocarriers to use, but they will get used quickly.
I currently have an airline with an average fleet age of 7.8 years which still earns a profit. I have quite a bit money saved for when I start the fleet renewal programme, as maintenance will rise quite a bit when receiving new aircraft.
Right now I would suggest you to get some jets. The Sud Aviation Caravelle series should be already available in 1963, I can highly recommend that aircraft if you want fast growth. The Boeing 707 is also a good choice for the bigger routes until the B727-200 becomes available in 1967. You can also use the aircraft search to find suitable aircraft available right now and compare similar aircraft easily.
Replacing the slower prop aircraft with jet aircraft reduces your fleet size and increases profits.

That's hard to say. Short haul flights could be anything below 1-2 hours each way while long haul could be as little as six hours (e.g. Dublin-Boston). For the game I usually max out all medium and large airports within 1000 miles or so and only fly to major airports further away than that. The way profits are calculated in the game makes it so that a long route taking twice the time as two shorter routes still earns less than those two shorter routes together.

Any other tips/suggestions are very much appreciated.  Thank you for your time and happy flying!!!
Open more routes from your existing bases (e.g. DEN, PHX, LAX, etc) to airports you already have routes to (e.g. DEN-SFO). You won't have more gate costs but you will have more profits.
Also, seeing as this is a fairly long world, I would limit the growth of your airline - you will have at least 6-8 big fleet replacements before the end, which means replacing all of your routes. A slower growth it also more realistic and gives you time and space to build your perfect airline.

PS Know that the 747 costs more to operate than it will ever earn back. But get it anyway, it's a cool aircraft!

metallurgy

• Airline Operative
  • Happy flying!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 10:29:31 am
Awesome!!!   Thanks for all the wonderful tips and suggestions!  You are a great help.  Happy flying!!   :)  :) 

/\
                                                      l
                                                      l
It works perfectly fine :)

I currently have an airline with an average fleet age of 7.8 years which still earns a profit. I have quite a bit money saved for when I start the fleet renewal programme, as maintenance will rise quite a bit when receiving new aircraft.
Right now I would suggest you to get some jets. The Sud Aviation Caravelle series should be already available in 1963, I can highly recommend that aircraft if you want fast growth. The Boeing 707 is also a good choice for the bigger routes until the B727-200 becomes available in 1967. You can also use the aircraft search to find suitable aircraft available right now and compare similar aircraft easily.
Replacing the slower prop aircraft with jet aircraft reduces your fleet size and increases profits.

That's hard to say. Short haul flights could be anything below 1-2 hours each way while long haul could be as little as six hours (e.g. Dublin-Boston). For the game I usually max out all medium and large airports within 1000 miles or so and only fly to major airports further away than that. The way profits are calculated in the game makes it so that a long route taking twice the time as two shorter routes still earns less than those two shorter routes together.

Open more routes from your existing bases (e.g. DEN, PHX, LAX, etc) to airports you already have routes to (e.g. DEN-SFO). You won't have more gate costs but you will have more profits.
Also, seeing as this is a fairly long world, I would limit the growth of your airline - you will have at least 6-8 big fleet replacements before the end, which means replacing all of your routes. A slower growth it also more realistic and gives you time and space to build your perfect airline.

PS Know that the 747 costs more to operate than it will ever earn back. But get it anyway, it's a cool aircraft!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk