Airline Mogul Forum

Your thoughts on serving remote airports.

Dobbins

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: June 09, 2011, 03:11:27 am
I am trying to decide how to serve very remote airports such as in Greenland.  I have two thoughts on this.  Realistically, an airline which serves Greenland would probably have a hub in Godthab, maybe Reykjavik, and run planes from the nearby hub to each city in Greenland, and then run a main flight to a major airport such as London or New York JFK.  This would enable the airline to make more profit off the shorter routes, but in this game format they would make much less money (Godthab to Reykjavik=not much profit, Godthab to London=significantly more profit).  The alternative would be to run a flight from London or New York to each airport in Greenland.  In this game, that would be much more profitable, but they would require large more expensive aircraft.  Thoughts?

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 07:05:00 am
Try to get hold of some A319s (Long range version, but not the A319LR). If possible, get them on lease. Fly to major european and american airports.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:26:45 am
Realistically, go for a hub in Reykjavik (it has a little more passengers). To earn the money back, you can have some routes to bigger European/US airports.

For your local routes to make profit, you have to earn more than € 2083 - that will pay off the gates (50,000 ÷ 24 = 2083). If you use the right planes, I'm sure you will be able to make as much as 5000.

Swilz

• Airline Operative
  • CEO - United Kingdom Atlantic
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:29:52 am
In PW#1956 im serving an airport with 35 PAX with a BAC 111-500, makes me €57,583 profit. So the remote airports can make money.

Wales - England - Northen Irealand - Scotland -
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland

jayceon

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 04:31:00 pm
In PW#1956 im serving an airport with 35 PAX with a BAC 111-500, makes me €57,583 profit. So the remote airports can make money.

So true! I'm LMAO at all them airlines flying to "premium" hubs only, eating each others profits. You make as much on flights to tiny hubs while having zero competition (unless there's someone with the same strategy, obviously). Which saves you tons of route price changes and the additional administration fees :D

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:38:15 pm

So true! I'm LMAO at all them airlines flying to "premium" hubs only, eating each others profits. You make as much on flights to tiny hubs while having zero competition (unless there's someone with the same strategy, obviously). Which saves you tons of route price changes and the additional administration fees :D

Flying from small airport to LHR = the same as flying the LHR to small airport

So it's rather easy to create a high DOC from small airports ;)
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

jayceon

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 07:51:24 pm

Flying from small airport to LHR = the same as flying the LHR to small airport

So it's rather easy to create a high DOC from small airports ;)

That's not what I meant, actually. What I meant, is that very few LHR-based airlines (or any other large hub), fly to those small airports even though you're able to make a lot money with those. Exactly like you said ;)

Dobbins

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:16:29 pm
Ah, so the key to those rural airports seem to be larger aircraft than the Pullman.  Unfortunately, the world that I am in is currently set in 1924, so it'll be several months in the real world before I can get anything larger.  Thanks!

Swilz

• Airline Operative
  • CEO - United Kingdom Atlantic
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 03:46:04 pm

Yeah my hub is LHR and everyone else is just serving CDG FRA DUB and so on so on. I've got 400 odd flights, mostly to airports under 2mill PAX and my doc well over 35mill

Wales - England - Northen Irealand - Scotland -
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland

Pacific Traveler Airlines

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 10:48:14 am
you could try doing one flight that goes Reykjavik- Oslo via Nuuk? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk