Airline Mogul Forum

Price slashing...Is there really a point to it or...

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: November 23, 2007, 03:01:16 am
Quote from: "Triple_7"

As for the player limit on the new worlds...I wouldn't even go as high as 1500.  Maybe 750 at the most per world.  Theres simply not enough profitable airports to support 1500 people in one world essentially putting us back right where we are now.  I would even go as far as making a special world where 0.5's are banned and have a cap on frequencies..say 4...and also have a setup with a "fair fare law."  Wouldn't get the main crowd in it but it would be a challenging world for those of us who really want to play fairly realistic.

I don't think banning .5s is a great idea. Tell me how airlines would fly those super long routes that real airlines fly/flew? Not every airline in r/l flies to all their destinations every day (which is sorta what .5s were supposed to simulate I guess, as well as makign long hauls possible) I don't like though how some airlines have used .5s, but if they want to do it now, they can. A cap on fares would really defeat the purpose of the game to try create a mostly deregulated world. Capping frequencies is also not "realistic", as in r/l, you'll also have airlines flying 12 frequencies between cities.

Triple_7

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: November 23, 2007, 06:06:21 am
I didn't mean ban 0.5s for everything.  Just have one world that makes more of a challenge.  I wouldn't start this world in the 60's...but maybe the 90's.  Aircraft are much faster and more efficient.  Its very possible to make a round trip long haul in 24 hours.  If an aircraft could not make it in 24 hours then cant fly that route.  Part of the challenge...would keep hubs like LHR from being swarmed with 0.5s from all over the world.  Part of the frequency deal is that in this setup there is only daily flights.  Some airlines may have 10 flights on a route but usually not all of them will be a daily flight...theres very few to be found in the real world.  About the most "daily" flights I've seen listed for real world was 6-7.  But limiting the frequencies would help the fair fare rule.  This way major routes don't get killed because of one person having an off day.  If theres 15 people on a route and one person comes in and slaps 50 frequencies for a buck then it kills everyone else.  Limiting to 4-6 would keep that from being possible.  If you slapped 4 frequencies for a buck it wouldn't have the same dramatic effect on the overall price.  But even then there would have to be a rule for fair pricing, say if the average price on a route is 500...someone cant come in and put a price of 50.  Say they could only drop the price by a certain percent max.  

Its basically a way to satisfy those of us who want a real challenge.  Everyone would be set to the same strict rules, have its limits, and people wouldn't just take off to the top and monopolize everything like it is now.  Its perfectly possible to turn into a profitable airline even here in the 50's without using any 0.5s...I've done it since day one and I'm growing more by the day.  Found it a little fishy when I saw people on the second day with 20 aircraft  :|

Just think it would be nice to have some kind of real challenge that would weed out the people who only want to be #1 no matter what it takes.    Keep the other worlds for those who don't want to have the strict rules.  This way everyone is happy.  A serious world and how ever many other worlds.  But in all worlds I seriously would consider no more then 750 players per world...even that is a little on the crowded side.

Also either in the serious world or in all worlds...could we please have the option to set up bases all over the world.  Still keep the 6 limit but this way we can move around.  Alliance only goes so far when by the time you get enough money gates become scarce.  I would really love to move about but am limited to only North America.  Might keep some of the crowding down if everyone isn't trying to cram into the US, Asia, and Europe.  Even real airline sometimes have a hub in another country.  Take Northwest for example.  They have a hub at NRT....Continental has a hub in Guam.
ast Real Flight...Taiwan 2006...July 30th Through August 19th...FWA-DFW-LAX-TPE.....TPE-LAX-ORD-FWA.

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Welcome Aboard Virgin America
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: November 23, 2007, 06:11:38 am
And northwest airlines is in Amsterdam.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: November 23, 2007, 06:23:37 am

As for the player limit on the new worlds...I wouldn't even go as high as 1500.  Maybe 750 at the most per world.  Theres simply not enough profitable airports to support 1500 people in one world essentially putting us back right where we are now.

The way you write this, you basically want every one to have their own airport with no one else based there. That way, everyone can have virtually 100% loads and make a ton of money without worrying about competition.

I would even go as far as making a special world where 0.5's are banned

So...

* No trans-Atlantic flights from most of North America to most of Europe.
* No trans-Pacific flights, period.
* No flights from Asia to Europe.

Wouldn't get the main crowd in it but it would be a challenging world for those of us who really want to play fairly realistic.

Because no one can do 0.5 flights, that means everyone will be forced to fly to more of the same airports. Creating more competition, and more complaints about people setting their prices to the "lowest fair fare" (which means EVERYONE would be at that price, and most wouldn't be making any profit because 1-3 people would have the 100% loads while everyone else would have 0% loads--what a sec...doesn't this sound like people setting fares to €1?).

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Triple_7

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: November 23, 2007, 06:41:29 am
I ain't even going to waist my time to explain it AGAIN. :?  You missed the entire point of that post. :roll:  Read more carefully and you might pick up on how it would work :wink:
ast Real Flight...Taiwan 2006...July 30th Through August 19th...FWA-DFW-LAX-TPE.....TPE-LAX-ORD-FWA.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: November 23, 2007, 06:49:33 am
I ain't even going to waist my time to explain it AGAIN. :?  You missed the entire point of that post. :roll:  Read more carefully and you might pick up on how it would work :wink:

Suggestions like your's appear every other day on the boards. As always, they are hardly "realistic" and hardly mimic real life situations.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: November 23, 2007, 07:20:27 am
extra continent bases are in the works... they may come out sometime around the same time as multiworlds is completed.  Under a typical setup there will be a penalty for these extra-continental bases, but yes.

Regarding your .5 bans, your freq caps, and your fare cap system... i've discussed most of it here: http://www.stephenm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26848#26848 (which is from page 3 of this thread).  At the moment, unique world rules are not in the works in any major sense.  I'm not sure i want to make multiworlds much more complex of a change then it already is on paper, at least not at the moment.  I know, i know. design it in, or it's a headache later, but honestly. at the moment i've got on the plans flexibility for types of aircraft flown, length, player cap, airports present in game, continents you can base at in game, focus city cap, foreign fc cap, starting cash, starting date, potential for skill level caps, private worlds, and a few "premium only" (player-wise) worlds.

I'm open for new ideas, but flexible rules based on worlds... that's a little too big to tack on to an already gargantuan project which i'm working as hard as i can on.  always more to do.
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: November 23, 2007, 09:15:39 am
:shock:  Wow... that's a lot to do for one person  :lol:

Wouldn't extra continent bases ruin the whole point of basing in a continent?

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

Air Elbonia

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: November 23, 2007, 07:52:33 pm
Quote from: "Jps"
:shock:  Wow... that's a lot to do for one person  :lol:

Wouldn't extra continent bases ruin the whole point of basing in a continent?

with the system i have for extra continent bases, no.  with the flexibility of the system i'm creating, depends on the world settings (in which case, sometimes yes. sometimes no.)
Air Elbonia, First in Time Travel since 2073!  (AEB ID in Game: 333)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk