Maintenance Cost

Seattle

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Hello! Send me a PM!
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: May 27, 2008, 08:26:41 am
My largest fleet ever was only like 70 planes :P
British Pan Airways (BPA)

Serving London Heathrow to You and the Rest of the World!

Fly with our lie-flat beds in first and business class on all longhaul planes!

~BPA, Relax, Enjoy, Fly.

edidiot

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: May 27, 2008, 06:00:59 pm
In a way does this high maintenance cost not help to stop mega airlines getting more and more mega and reward more careful management of a smaller airline?

I think that anything that encourages a little more thought in play rather than just putting a single freq route to every airport you can find is a good thing and helps to balance the game between different styles of play. Maybe maintenance is too boarder term to use but as fleets get super huge in the real world I would wager that costs do also. For example if you have 400 Boeing jets then you have to pay an awful lot of hangerage/overnight gate fee's!

It would be good to see maintenance in some way linked to fleet commonality however as it is in the real world to an extent.

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: May 27, 2008, 09:24:36 pm
I haven't been on AM for some time and I have some planes sitting on the ground unused but is this normal?
Gate rental: €27,100,000
MX: €225,929,670
 :shock:

Edit: And what could I do about it?
EO Blue Sky Mine (XAI), ID 2041

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
Schwupp, die Polizei hat´s nicht geseh´n,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: May 27, 2008, 09:51:24 pm
Quote from: "Blue Sky Mine"
I haven't been on AM for some time and I have some planes sitting on the ground unused but is this normal?
Gate rental: €27,100,000
MX: €225,929,670
 :shock:

Edit: And what could I do about it?

Reduce the age of your fleet. Also look at lower-value aircraft. You could try sale and lease-back of aircraft if you get someone who agrees to it,
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: May 28, 2008, 01:51:57 am
How much does fleet age actually increase the cost of maintenance? How much does it increase by each year?

Fleur-de-Lis

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: May 28, 2008, 03:39:17 am
Quote from: "CHR"
How much does fleet age actually increase the cost of maintenance? How much does it increase by each year?

They're not telling.

It varies from aircraft to aircraft.
Read up on it. It's either in this very thread, or somehwere else in this forum.
Asylum Freight

ID: 11045

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: May 28, 2008, 04:51:34 am
I read earlier, on the first page, that it is 1% of purchase price per year and that this increases by 0.0025% every year, a very small amount (eg. it would take 400 years to double (to 2%) your maintenance fees). However, based on Stephen's comment, which implies that aircraft ages have a significant effect on maintenance fees, I assumed that this was incorrect. I have not seen, anywhere else, any figures for maintenance.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: May 28, 2008, 05:56:50 am
Someone else wrote that - not StephenM.

It's more than that - I can assure you.
Read what Stephen and dktc wrote in this thread.

My maintenance costs are nearly 60% of total revenue. Maintenance costs alone!
I passed the five billion mark a couple days ago. I posted it in this thread earlier. I'll hit the six billion mark tomorrow. Largely due to all the A300's I bought.
And (excepting the Airbuses I recently bought) I run a tight fleet.

Now I forget where I read it, maybe in the suggestions forum (?).

Its based on a percentage of cost, and it increases as the aircraft ages.
Jets are more expensive than props.
Big planes more than small ones.
Lucky that the cycles and airframe hours aren't implemented yet, else it would likely be worst.

If I ever start another airline, I'll know more.  
I couldn't crunch any numbers accurately, as the maintenance costs got thrown in after I already had a couple thousand airplanes. Different models, types, and ages.

Any ways - they're not telling. And I kind of like it that way.
Slows down the growth of monster airlines. Allows for more "real" strategy in fleet planning, route planning vis a vis aircraft types, etc.

Lease rates have gone up. I'm not even sure if I'm breaking even on some of the ones I'm offering.
When I see a low, long term lease myself - I grab it.
Asylum Freight

ID: 11045

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: May 28, 2008, 07:23:33 am
I was wondering about this mainly because I too am leasing a lot of planes (mostly second hand), and I want to know if I am losing money because of them. But I tend to think I am not, because my income from leasing is around 80% of my maintenance, and I have a reasonable non-leased fleet.

hg42

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: May 28, 2008, 08:45:12 am
I think it starts out at 5% of the aircraft cost, or near enough - my (new) €35m 1-11s are each about €1.7m / month to maintain.

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: May 28, 2008, 08:51:49 am
My total costs show €292,934,241 of which a whopping €225,929,670 are maintenance. This is so ridiculous!!!

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: May 28, 2008, 09:41:37 am
For me, maintenance is only 52% of my costs. However, I only keep about 22% of my money. Leasing makes up a large amount (I increased this a lot by leasing 10 Concordes for $12.5 million each (they are making, on average, a little more than they cost to lease)).

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: May 28, 2008, 11:00:28 am
I read earlier, on the first page, that it is 1% of purchase price per year and that this increases by 0.0025% every year, a very small amount (eg. it would take 400 years to double (to 2%) your maintenance fees). However, based on Stephen's comment, which implies that aircraft ages have a significant effect on maintenance fees, I assumed that this was incorrect. I have not seen, anywhere else, any figures for maintenance.

Age is measured in game days.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Blue Sky Mine

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: May 28, 2008, 05:19:23 pm
For me, maintenance is only 52% of my costs. However, I only keep about 22% of my money. Leasing makes up a large amount (I increased this a lot by leasing 10 Concordes for $12.5 million each (they are making, on average, a little more than they cost to lease)).

I don't have any leases, so all my fleet counts as mx costs...

Mein Maserati fährt 210,
das macht Spaß!
Ich geb Gas, ich geb Gas

Tomb

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: May 29, 2008, 01:56:05 am
whats needed is under aircraft info next to profit is its maint cost so you can judge which planes are unecomnomic on which routes

since profit is misleading and is not profit at all unless costs are taken out and maint is a cost

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk