Airline Mogul Forum

RIP

SATA

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 01:53:47 am
yep palmair and EAL or EAC they are basicly the same company but they only operate 732's and dont have cash to buy new planes so sadly there will soon be an ending

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
  • Welcome Aboard Virgin America
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 01:56:50 am
i see.

OAAir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 02:17:47 pm
Chapter 11 is actually a section of the US Bankruptcy Code, and a rather unusual one when you look at how other nations have traditionally handled insolvencies.  I believe that there is now a European version of Chapter 11, but don't quote me on that.  As for the shutting down operations, if you look back at history when airlines have filed for Chapter 11 they will almost always bring all their aircraft back to their base of operations to protect them from creditors seizing them at the out stations before the filing is official.  Braniff did this both times, Continental did it both times, Pan Am did it, Eastern did it - it is simply an asset protection move.  I believe if we looked at the recent filings you don't see this pattern as the airlines are filing much earlier than they used to (Chap. 11 has lost it's stigma) and since the aircraft can't be seized if they are current on their payments, it is unnecessary.  The standard pattern has been to shut down for a couple of days, then to begin limited operations again, focusing on only your most profitable routes and aircraft.  There are cases however where the Chapter 11 morphs into a Chapter 7 liquidation filing, a la Eastern, and that is when the assets get sold and the company simply ceases to exist.  But almost always, they will try to reorganize under Chapter 11 first.

ATA was not owned by Southwest but rather was working as an affiliate to fly the routes, mainly Hawaiian, that Southwest wasn't ready to undertake on their own.  They also handled the charters and vacation packages for SW.
img]http://www.cbnoble.com/images/OAlogo1.jpg[/img]
Based in MCO, DTW, BOS, SLC - Public World 3
Proud Member of United Sky Group

AustraliaConnect

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 02:33:22 pm
QANTAS BETTER NOT DIE!!!  :lol:
but im not sure about their rediculously expensive prices...
$2199 to LAX from Melbourne on special
V Australia - Melbourne to LAX via SYD -$1200 on special
elcome to a new era - AustraliaConnect

Connecting Australians to the World!

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 07:40:56 pm
Quote from: "Vamerica"
now, who next?

Well, there are some I would keep an eye on:

Europe:
Alitalia

South America:
Maybe TAM?

North America:
Freedom Airlines? Delta has announced to cancel their contract for 34 of their 50 seaters (representing about 75% of Freedom Airline's fleet) in May. Maybe its parent company MESA(? can't remember) will shut down their subsidiaries business to protect themselves.

Others may be affected, too, as Lufthansa's officials said somewhere that their contracts "are flexible". If traffic volume is at a kind of peak now (at least in the Western World by some analysts) there will definetly die other airlines within the second quarter of this year.

Quote from: "OAAir"
Chapter 11 is actually a section of the US Bankruptcy Code, and a rather unusual one when you look at how other nations have traditionally handled insolvencies.  I believe that there is now a European version of Chapter 11, but don't quote me on that.

There is indeed something like that in Germany (at least) but I dont know if this is handled the same as Chapter 11.

Quote from: "OAAir"
ATA was not owned by Southwest but rather was working as an affiliate to fly the routes, mainly Hawaiian, that Southwest wasn't ready to undertake on their own.  They also handled the charters and vacation packages for SW.

You are right. One or two years ago Southwest passed about $20M to ATA receiving gate slots from them in return. ATA was planned to fly longer international routes (e.g. Cancun) on behalf of Southwest for the next year. AFAIK Southwest does not have international routes (at least no long-hauls).
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 08:27:24 pm
Looking at the latest news we're getting on the Alitalia - AirFrance/KLM takeover, it's not going to happen soon. Italian unions don't bow down easily, so it seems, and AirFrance/KLM looks like it's getting tired of the entire takeover. Also, Berlusconi being not-so-happy about losing an Italian icon, especially one that should have a big presence in Milan (IIRC, could be Rome but I forgot) seeing as that's kind of his favourite city, means Alitalia might not disappear that quick.

sla31

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 02:53:15 pm
Bryce Rea

AirHanoverInternational

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 03:30:08 pm
Yeah, just read it :cry:
an (AirHanoverInternational ID:5980)

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 05:27:03 pm
i herd it last night on the news

SATA

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 05:50:24 pm
they have a really nice livery

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 05:56:29 pm
why is there suddenly a increase of airlines shutting down? 10 going to 2-3 weeks is horrendous!

SATA

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 05:59:30 pm
Fuel Expenses have risin :?

beerchaser301

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: April 05, 2008, 07:01:36 pm
Personally, I think Alaska will be fine, They have a good niche, Some say, and I am not sure I believe it but it could happen, SWA might be in trouble with the FAA fines. But they are pretty darn strong so they should recover.
Beerchaser

Vamerica

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: April 05, 2008, 07:08:16 pm
SWA will probably not go file chap. 11. They are safe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk