Airline Mogul Forum

Buses in your hometown

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: January 20, 2009, 03:54:45 pm
My hometown only has "Expressway" and Rural and School services, so no double decker's.

Similar to my old school bus

One of the older Expressway Busses

UK Route Busses

And Dublin Busses:

Commuter Busses:

City Busses:

There are more, but not a lot of photos with the most recent livery.

A Dublin tram.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:58:30 pm by StephenM »
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: January 20, 2009, 04:38:39 pm
Utrecht uses articulated buses instead of double decker buses because of the limited height of several sections on the routes these buses have to drive. Double-deck wasn't an option at all.

Jetway

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: January 20, 2009, 05:35:21 pm
There simply isn't the need in SF for double-deckers, as there isn't traffic:

Gridlock? Congestion? Bedlam? No. (I'm not saying HK has that, it just has more traffic, which surprisingly to somebody who lives in North America, comprises of mostly buses, not cars :o)

I'm also not saying we haven't thought about it:

It's an Enviro 500! We were testing it for about a month, then had to return it to Las Vegas :'( The main reason for considering this bus (as a replacement for the Neoplan on the Enviro's left) was less space taken in the garage. There was only a mention about the increased capacity. :roll: But still, this was the best thing SF has done in, well, a long time.

Edit:

However, I do agree that the articulated buses are not suitable for routes travelling in older areas of towns in Europe and hilly cities and they do load and unload faster, simply coz theyve more doors.

But the driver seemed to be far away from the end of the bus. Wouldn't it be difficult to spot people jumping into the bus at the station, esp. during peak hours? ???

If San Francisco isn't hilly, I don't know what city is... But the biggest problem with articulated buses (and all other buses) in SF is that fare evasion is a HUGE problem, especially in Chinatown. (It's all done in the open! People aren't trying to hide it! Just walk calmly past the driver, or jam through the rear doors!)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 02:05:22 am by Jetway »

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: January 21, 2009, 11:10:27 am
Las Vegas?  :-\

ive never seen a bus in Las Vegas (and LAX) during my tour to USA last year....

SF is hilly, in some areas, but I doubt those Enviro - 500 are serving in routes that serves hilly districts, am i rite? But in HK, you can find these Enviros on roads that are 20% gradient.

The only thing that I like about US buses is their "thingy" in front of the bumper that holds bikes. What I dislike most about US buses is their accessibility. All of them are (seemed to be) not low-platform bus. You'll have to climb 3 or more steps.....  :(

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

Jetway

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009, 12:36:28 am
Las Vegas?  :-\

ive never seen a bus in Las Vegas (and LAX) during my tour to USA last year....

SF is hilly, in some areas, but I doubt those Enviro - 500 are serving in routes that serves hilly districts, am i rite? But in HK, you can find these Enviros on roads that are 20% gradient.

The only thing that I like about US buses is their "thingy" in front of the bumper that holds bikes. What I dislike most about US buses is their accessibility. All of them are (seemed to be) not low-platform bus. You'll have to climb 3 or more steps.....  :(

Here you go... the Las Vegas Enviro 500.
The bike holder thing probably was put on the buses to placate bike advocates. (No offense to bikers.) Now, about the hilly districts, I was answering your comment about articulated buses not being suitable for hilly districts. (Apparently, they are.) And yes, I too absolutely hate having (mostly) high floor buses. Usually, they're not a problem, but when a senior citizen gets on, the bus is delayed. And when a wheelchair user wants to get on, oh, please. Take a look at this (It's a NYC MTA bus, but you'll get the point:)

It takes about a MINUTE for this thing to lower itself, raise itself, and reposition itself back into the stairwell. Thankfully, SF Muni has done SOMETHING right:

NO STAIRS ON ALL NEW BUSES PURCHASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Also, I take back my comment which attacked SF Muni for placing more emphasis on double deckers taking up less space instead of their increased capacity. Why? Take a look at this image (although it's a bit old.)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:41:05 am by Jetway »

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 09:26:00 am
(goes right in front of my house :) )

I can post all, but here you go: http://www.londonbusroutes.net/photos/
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/photos/ealing.htm

I use the 207, 607, E7, E9 (E7/9 finally going to get those new enviro 200's which I have been hoping for in may :D , U1

Pavel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 04:58:16 pm
Don't you people think its abit weird going out with a camera and starting to shoot picturs of buses? :D
Pavel

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 05:03:32 pm
Don't you people think its abit weird going out with a camera and starting to shoot picturs of buses? :D

Most photos are linked from other websites. Its equally as weird to take photos of planes, but acceptable on this forum. :)
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Severnaya

• Airline Operative
  • The truth is more important than the facts.
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 05:32:10 pm
whats in fact your problem with it, don't you make pictures of other objects? (buildings etc)

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 05:55:20 pm

Most photos are linked from other websites. Its equally as weird to take photos of planes, but acceptable on this forum. :)

as is loving you babe  :lol:

how did your test go?
* iranair777 is about to log off and go home. also shudders that its 1757 (shouldv'e been home by now)  :o

Pavel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 08:21:56 pm
whats in fact your problem with it, don't you make pictures of other objects? (buildings etc)
Nothing really, just if I was the driver, what would I think?
Pavel

Severnaya

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: January 23, 2009, 12:15:14 am
Here some bus/tram/metro pictures of my home town Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

These buses ride from various points in Amsterdam to the airport (Schiphol).

Normal bus in A'dam

Another normal bus

An electric bus car, don't know if they're really driving around much as i hardly get to see one.

Hydrofoil for services from/to Amsterdam to one of the suburbs (Velsen)

The old trams

The newer trams

One of the different types of metro we've got here

Amsterdam Light-rail

Amsterdam Ring-line metro

constuction of the 5th metro line, which will connect north and south Amsterdam

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: January 23, 2009, 02:51:27 pm

Wow, I must be very handsome.... :lol:

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

Pavel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: January 23, 2009, 04:11:48 pm

Wow, I must be very handsome.... :lol:

:lol: :lol: Not in that sence! xD
Pavel

Severnaya

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 05:45:28 pm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk