Airline Mogul Forum

Buses in your hometown

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: January 21, 2008, 08:29:52 pm
Quote from: "dktc"
Thanks for sharing your deepest fantasy with us, nwaboy. However, this might not be the place. Email me, and we could chat somewhere private :wink:  :lol:

(jk)

:lol:

Quote from: "nwaboy"
:evil:  
:lol: thanks for the offer, but i am actually straight unlike you unlike you  :twisted:

Thats what you think :lol:

It all in the open now :lol:

Jetway

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 02:49:20 am
I'll restart this thread (almost a year later... I only found this thread because I was searching for another to figure out if I should start a new thread, and this popped up--I'm a fan of everything that moves, except for boats :D)

San Francisco--the city whose transit network looks GREAT on paper, and is crap in real life... (70% on time says it all)

ETI-Skoda electric bus--While our transit system--SF Muni--may be crap, we're still San Franciscan--and that means being green. No offense to other places.

Neoplan USA biodiesel bus

New Flyer hybrid biodiesel-electric bus

Our mayor looking at the inside of the (only) "Connected Bus" with wi-fi. While he can't improve Muni, he CAN do absolutely useless things so that he gets his fair share of media coverage.

Breda streetcar, on the Muni Metro, which isn't really a subway, just a bunch of (aboveground) streetcar lines all funneling down into one (underground) corridor.

Our 1930s-era historical streetcars. Although only tourists ride these, they're one of only a couple of things I'm proud about Muni.

Another thing I'm proud of--cable cars! (This one has an ANA ad on the front, too!) I sometimes wonder how the friendly operators on these can work for the same agency which provides me with angry, crazy drivers who shuttle me to school daily--and (once) slam doors shut on me. Then again, these cable cars are (last time I checked) FIVE dollars one-way. Ouch.

[/end rant]
Usually, I'm not such a pessimist, but if you disagree, please come to San Francisco, and talk to a normal local. (Then again, most "locals" are immigrants from the East Coast.)

EDIT: The thread which I was looking for which never existed until I created it is here: http://stephenm.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=9599.0

EDIT #2:

You guys still have these? Well, at least there's TWO cities with these now...
EDIT #3: You know you're in SF when the bus sign reads "Gay Pride Parade". Take a good, long look at the hybrid bus...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:08:43 am by Jetway »

Obmit

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 03:43:59 am
(For Sydney)
These are the newer ones...

They all have blank TV screens on them!

And these are the more common old ones...I've been on one where the floor was held together with staples.. :P
Skywest PW1217

cameron1991

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: January 19, 2009, 04:11:34 am
These are the buses mainly used here in Christchurch
These 2 buses form the majority of the fleets of the 3 companies that operate here.

Red Bus operates these free inner-city hybrid electric/diesel buses.

These are most of the buses used here, I can't find any pics of other older buses used.
Jetstar Airways, W8,W9     Europe Blue, W10

ID:12870

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: January 19, 2009, 10:52:59 am
So, theyre old?

I love Leyland Victory.... esp. those CMB ones coz they have poor maintainance  :roll:

I still remember when I was 3 yo, I took a LV (i.e. Leyland Victory)  23A and the front door has gone for some reason....

And James, does "Public Light Bus" count as "Buses"?

Weve two kinds of "minibus"  (thats what theyre called in HK)
One with red on top and the others green.

The red one does not have a regular route and fare while the green one has fixed route(not really fixed when its route is having a traffic jam)and fixed fare.

Speeding is very common among minibuses. For an instance, when the speed limit is 50km/h, it will be 70km/h. When its 80km/h, its 120km/h......... [Both of them are my personal experience]
In the end, I often arrive at my destination faster than railways. :roll:

And TRAMS!!!! I love trams when I dun have money.... :P

All of HK's trams are double-decker and $2 [about 0.35USD] for each ride(Except Peak Tram). It somehow survived in a society that requires everything to be "fast" and "effective". My advice is dont take trams on Sundays coz too many domestic helpers, or maid, for short, will take them to save some money.

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: January 19, 2009, 07:08:08 pm
All we get is this:

Regular buses for intercity transportation within the province of Utrecht, where I live

These thingies transport university students between the university and the city center

And these, driving (and sometimes hitting cars) between Utrecht (main city in the region) and Nieuwegein / IJsselstein. Not really busses but still :P

blue25

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: January 19, 2009, 09:04:42 pm

This is the bus station if you're wondering. :lol: jk.

This is what I wished our buses looked like.
Alto Airlines [ID: 2167]

Obmit

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: January 19, 2009, 09:16:36 pm
All we get is this:

These thingies transport university students between the university and the city center

They look practical :P
At least your buses dont pretend to be trains...

Skywest PW1217

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: January 19, 2009, 09:55:43 pm
They are practical, they're just kinda big.

tushardhoot1

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: January 20, 2009, 04:05:37 am

This is the bus station if you're wondering. :lol: jk.

This is what I wished our buses looked like.

That first one is "Into the Wild", correct?

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: January 20, 2009, 09:00:26 am
may I ask, are they only for university students or other citizens will have to pay for a ride in it?

Severnaya

• Airline Operative
  • The truth is more important than the facts.
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: January 20, 2009, 09:18:47 am
may I ask, are they only for university students or other citizens will have to pay for a ride in it?
everybody may ride in them, as long as you pay ;)

More information about those bi-articulated buses: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-articulated_bus

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: January 20, 2009, 10:20:38 am
Im wondering, just wondering, why foreign countries tend to use

Instead of

??

Double decked buses are basically same as articulated buses, except for their height and length...

cameron1991

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: January 20, 2009, 10:44:09 am
Faster loading/unloading I guess, because the double deck bus in your picture only has 2 doors whereas articulated buses will generally have atleast 4 doors.

Many cities also have dedicated expressways that can only be used by buses. These roads are usually fairly wide and don't have sharp corners so that large buses can move quickly from A to B with virtually no delays from traffic. An articulated bus is much more suitable on these routes because they can load and unload much quicker meaning it spends less time at the stop.
Many cities that have double deck buses have very narrow roads (Hong Kong for example) that an articulated bus would have no hope in hell of driving through.
Jetstar Airways, W8,W9     Europe Blue, W10

ID:12870

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: January 20, 2009, 03:32:31 pm
Viola, heres the three-door version of Leyland Olympian :P

[pic.A]

The Number of doors can be varied coz its not fixed once it leaves the manufacturing plant, Leyland, in this case. What Leyland has made is a shortened chasis. The bus comapany has to lengthen the chasis (by adding steel bars, perhaps) and bodyworks has to be purchased from different company (Alexander Type R Bodywork in both cases). If the bus is going to be served in heavily used routes, more doors can be added. Vice versa. If the bus is going to serve in slightly used routes, two or less doors can be fitted.[See Pic.b]

[pic.b]
[A Leyland Olympian with only one door]

However, I do agree that the articulated buses are not suitable for routes travelling in older areas of towns in Europe and hilly cities and they do load and unload faster, simply coz theyve more doors.

But the driver seemed to be far away from the end of the bus. Wouldn't it be difficult to spot people jumping into the bus at the station, esp. during peak hours? ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk