Count to 10,000

hay-airlines · 5009 · 621945

metallurgy

• Airline Operative
  • Happy flying!
    • View Profile
Reply #4215 on: March 30, 2018, 05:28:57 pm

Airline Mogul - See my airline

Here is my airline guys.  Tell me what you think about my previous post of getting updated planes, and flying distances.  you need to go up a few posts.  lol
Do get some A300s now, you have plenty of good routes from Atlanta. You can start by ordering ten, then see how it goes and how your profits increase - then you can buy more as you feel. I guess 25 or so is not unrealistic from your Atlanta base.
The Caravelle is very very good, but too small for your Atlanta base. I would suggest you stay with the Dassault Mercure, the best aircraft in its size (disregarding the lack of range). Instead of the Tupolev 154 I would go with the Boeing 727-200 Adv. As it has more seats and less fuel usage for the same price.

For long range operations the Tristar is the best until the B767-200ER comes around. I think the 762 is the best in all of AM.

(PS these aircraft choices are based on my 1973 airline, new aircraft may have appeared in the meantime. Do try the Aircraft Search function)

Ok, so some questions then,

1. What constitutes long range, in miles? The 727-200 Adv would be able to fly more than 3/4 of all my routes in the continental US...so, would I then use the A300s I will pick up for everything over 2700 miles then? That would actually only be maybe 1% or less of flights I would use it for, speaking of the continental US flights. And also overseas?

2. How cost effective could or would it be to fly an A300 series from airports 10M+, instead of just flying from major airports only? I mean, if I used a aircraft with half the seats, would the money only be a few thousand less per flight, or would it possibly be up to 50k difference?

I know the more passengers means more money per flight. I also know length of flight means more money as well. Does the passenger factor matter more than length of flight if everything was equal?

Please try to be as detailed as possible, as I am trying to form as good a Airline plan as I can, and all of you with your tips and/or suggestions are helping immensely!!  So thank you all.

Happy flying!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:38:02 pm by metallurgy »

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #4216 on: March 31, 2018, 08:08:58 am

To answer your questions:
1: Long range is a liquid definition - there is no number or limit to say when it's long range. Trans continental routes wouldn't be long range in my eyes, but other people say other things. If the A300 has the range you can fly it across the Atlantic, but there I would use the A310 instead. When the A330 becomes available use that (but the 767-200ER is better).

2: To fly such a large aircraft from an airport of around ten million passengers would not be profitable on more than a handful of routes. Depending on how many big airports are nearby you could keep one or two aircraft busy. Use an aircraft like the 727 or A320 instead.

3: More passengers means more money, but longer routes also do. But the time used to do a 4 hour flight is less than two 2 hour flights, so in the end shorter flights are more profitable.

metallurgy

• Airline Operative
  • Happy flying!
    • View Profile
Reply #4217 on: March 31, 2018, 11:38:08 am

To answer your questions:
1: Long range is a liquid definition - there is no number or limit to say when it's long range. Trans continental routes wouldn't be long range in my eyes, but other people say other things. If the A300 has the range you can fly it across the Atlantic, but there I would use the A310 instead. When the A330 becomes available use that (but the 767-200ER is better).

2: To fly such a large aircraft from an airport of around ten million passengers would not be profitable on more than a handful of routes. Depending on how many big airports are nearby you could keep one or two aircraft busy. Use an aircraft like the 727 or A320 instead.

3: More passengers means more money, but longer routes also do. But the time used to do a 4 hour flight is less than two 2 hour flights, so in the end shorter flights are more profitable.

Yeah, I already figured on #3, but thanks for the help on the other points.  It helped me out a lot. 

Happy flying!  :)

Thunderstruck

• Airline Operative
  • What goes up must come down
    • View Profile
Reply #4218 on: March 31, 2018, 05:08:31 pm

What is also important to keep in mind are turnaround times, but generally the larger the seating capability, the longer the turnaround time.

Also, I have a way of handling the route frequencies which is as follows: all flights up to 2,000 NM range at 1 X route frequency. Any flights with a range beyond 2,000 NM I fly at 0.5 frequency. I find its the way to capitalize the most!

Flying more than 1 X route frequency adds only a marginal amount of financial gains, and will cost you therefore because you will have to own more aircraft to fly a given number of destinations.

Finally, you will soon make more money than you know what to do with if you operate out of major hubs such as O'Hare or Atlanta. And so in the end, I like to fly the aircraft I want to, even though they might not be quite as profitable as others... Also, once you have loads of cash, you are free to operate some routes that are not as profitable, for instance I usually like to fly from Paris to Martinique and Guadeloupe because in the real world that is a very popular route (Air France / Air Caraïbes / Corsair and occasional charters fly this up to several times a day).

The really tough thing when you have a huge airline, is regularly renewing your aircraft fleet. It is time consuming, but it's somehow also something I enjoy doing. Keeping your average fleet age relatively low is important for the larger airlines, or else one day the maintenance costs will sky rocket.

All the best!

PS: these are just my takings, I'm sure other players have different ways of going about it.
PPS: in the real world the flights from Paris to Martinique/Guadeloupe usually all depart from Orly, not Charles-de-Gaulle.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:14:12 pm by Thunderstruck »

metallurgy

• Airline Operative
  • Happy flying!
    • View Profile
Reply #4219 on: March 31, 2018, 09:20:07 pm

What is also important to keep in mind are turnaround times, but generally the larger the seating capability, the longer the turnaround time.

Also, I have a way of handling the route frequencies which is as follows: all flights up to 2,000 NM range at 1 X route frequency. Any flights with a range beyond 2,000 NM I fly at 0.5 frequency. I find its the way to capitalize the most!

Flying more than 1 X route frequency adds only a marginal amount of financial gains, and will cost you therefore because you will have to own more aircraft to fly a given number of destinations.

Finally, you will soon make more money than you know what to do with if you operate out of major hubs such as O'Hare or Atlanta. And so in the end, I like to fly the aircraft I want to, even though they might not be quite as profitable as others... Also, once you have loads of cash, you are free to operate some routes that are not as profitable, for instance I usually like to fly from Paris to Martinique and Guadeloupe because in the real world that is a very popular route (Air France / Air Caraïbes / Corsair and occasional charters fly this up to several times a day).

The really tough thing when you have a huge airline, is regularly renewing your aircraft fleet. It is time consuming, but it's somehow also something I enjoy doing. Keeping your average fleet age relatively low is important for the larger airlines, or else one day the maintenance costs will sky rocket.

All the best!

PS: these are just my takings, I'm sure other players have different ways of going about it.
PPS: in the real world the flights from Paris to Martinique/Guadeloupe usually all depart from Orly, not Charles-de-Gaulle.

Thx Thunderstruck.  :)

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #4220 on: April 01, 2018, 07:06:19 pm

Thunderstruck is on point here :)

I have had a fleet age of around ten years and still (barely) turning a profit

Nosy

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4221 on: April 02, 2018, 11:05:19 am

Sorry for the recent inactivity. Too many things to do. Great to see that metallurgy has joined the fun!

Thunderstruck

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4222 on: April 02, 2018, 01:23:10 pm

Good to see you again Nosy. When you can find the time to join us, is just fine!

At the moment I have a fleet of 522 aircraft, and an average fleet age of 2.4 years. I guess it proves that I'm really addicted to this game...

Nosy

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4223 on: April 03, 2018, 02:24:23 am

You're really good with your airline! I usually can't get more than a hundred aircraft. :D

Thunderstruck

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4224 on: April 03, 2018, 08:38:31 am

Thanks Nosy. So we know (from another thread) that you are Singaporean.

Although this may already have been asked in one of the previous 4224 posts, where are the rest of you from (if you care to say)?

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #4225 on: April 03, 2018, 09:37:27 am

Scandinavia (hence Viking Airlines right now)

Anzatax

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4226 on: April 03, 2018, 02:24:51 pm

I am from Singapore too :D :P

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #4227 on: April 03, 2018, 09:17:11 pm

What a coincidence!

Thunderstruck

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4228 on: April 04, 2018, 01:03:02 pm

What a coincidence!

Indeed - how nice. You two should meet up for a drink sometime!

I'm quite international : I am American / French / Austrian

And I've lived 5 years in Quebec, 5 years in the UK (university studies) and 1 1/2 years in Thailand (Chiang Mai). Also lived in New York State & Pennsylvania.

At the moment, I live in Paris.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #4229 on: April 04, 2018, 06:19:10 pm

Airline Mogul Conference: Two attendees :P

You've been around quite a bit, Thunderstruck! How come, if I may ask?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk