Airline Mogul Forum

Longhaul Strat

Aerobat

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: January 17, 2009, 11:56:10 am
Hi a long time player of AM here. Ive always stuck to the 0.5 daily on routes that are 4000 nm because i find it to be decently profitable and i love to have a great variety of routes.

Does anyone use daily routes on really long flights eg. LHR-HKG or LHR-LAX and is it worth a plane that costs between 100-200 milto run the route

MrOrange

• Administrator
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:17:29 pm
I rarely fly longhaul nowadays. I used to, simply because I had too many shorthaul routes and my only option was longhaul, but it cost me more than it would make me, in the short-to-medium-term. I'd rather buy a 737-400 and put it on 8 routes, than buy a 777 and put it on two routes max, as the 737 would earn back itself in no-time, as opposed to the 777. On 0.5-frequency routes: I tend to only use them if I don't have the option to create a 1-frequency flight.

Cheung Airlines

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 03:23:13 pm
I rarely fly longhaul nowadays. I used to, simply because I had too many shorthaul routes and my only option was longhaul, but it cost me more than it would make me, in the short-to-medium-term. I'd rather buy a 737-400 and put it on 8 routes, than buy a 777 and put it on two routes max, as the 737 would earn back itself in no-time, as opposed to the 777. On 0.5-frequency routes: I tend to only use them if I don't have the option to create a 1-frequency flight.

Yup, few Long haul planes will earn back itself.
The best LH planes have disappeared in the 1970s and 80s........
(Starliner and Tu-114D, I mean)

My ID: |||||||||  - ||||||||||||||||
             A M ID:  1  02 5   2    (0)

MAXAir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:39:16 pm
The best aircraft I've found for longhaul is the A319LR.  It can make almost as much as a 777, just can't go quite as far, and it costs a lot less.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:44:10 pm
1-frequency flights on long-hauls are never worth it. You make so much more money doing two different 0.5-freq flights per long-haul plane. That said, any plane that costs over 200M is also not worth it.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

islandflyer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 11:15:28 am
I just bought my first two 767-200ER's for long haul from the Caribbean to Europe, and I only use 0.5 freq, and still have to cut my fares to make a barely-respectible load factor - my personal minimum is 75% Load.

I was looking at another 762 to push into South America, Africa and other points in Europe, but now I'm not sure anymore... and the range on my 737-300 is limited from here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk