Airline Mogul Forum

Going Low-Cost

Samuel · 17 · 4162

Samuel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: September 09, 2008, 12:25:42 pm
What do you guys think about going Low-Cost. You get to dominate the market without having to change the Loadfactor (in most cases).

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 04:08:16 pm
Dunno, everybody else would end up lowering price too. Look at Heathrow and Atlanta. Routes to other large airports are almost as unprofitable as routes from an airport with 0 passengers :D
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:28:40 pm
That is a pretty useful strategy. I tend to slash fares €25-50 per edit ... especially when someone is being annoying and dropping fares by €0.01 or €1.

The biggest problem is that some dimwits will just continue to match or lowball you by €1 when they don't realize they can charge a higher fare and maintain 100% loads.

If based at an airport with lots of competition, this strategy won't last very long.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Tiger In Training

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 06:14:09 pm

I think it would be hard to indeed, especially as you don't know the MX for each plane (hint hint) and its not like you can negotiate gate prices or pay staff minimum wage.

I would take my hat off to anybody who can do it, in AM.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 06:50:02 pm
What do you guys think about going Low-Cost. You get to dominate the market without having to change the Loadfactor (in most cases).

The only fare where that is possible is at €1. As anything above €1 will make it possible for others to drop the fare.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 09:14:19 pm
What do you guys think about going Low-Cost.

There is nothing as low "cost" in AM. There is only low revenue.
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

Samuel

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 07:48:20 am
What do you guys think about going Low-Cost.

There is nothing as low "cost" in AM. There is only low revenue.

What I meant was Low Cost Carrier.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 01:01:55 pm
What I meant was Low Cost Carrier.

And the reason they can charge low fairs is because they have lower costs ;)
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 01:37:59 pm
I believe what he means is an LFC, or Low Fare Carrier.

MAXAir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 07:48:13 pm
That is a pretty useful strategy. I tend to slash fares €25-50 per edit ... especially when someone is being annoying and dropping fares by €0.01 or €1.
I don't know how that's annoying, that makes the most sense to keep your revenues up.  If you lower it by 25-50 euros each time the game just becomes a race to the bottom.
Let's say you start at 250 euro's, then I drop my fair to 200, then someone else to 175, before you know it we're all at 50 euro's making no profit.  I'd rather have to change the price by a euro or 2 everyday and maximize everyone's profits.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 07:59:04 pm
I'd rather have to change the price by a euro or 2 everyday and maximize everyone's profits.

That's where we differ: I don't.

To put it another way...

If you and another airline are at the same base. The other airline has 40 routes, and that's all he will do. Why would you want to maximize his profits (so that he can order big planes for those routes)? I would flood those routes and send him to bankruptcy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:04:34 pm by pseudoswede »

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

MAXAir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 09:03:05 pm
Why would you want to maximize his profits (so that he can order big planes for those routes)?

I see what you're saying if you're talking about a route with only 2 people on it, but if there's more than 2 it's a losing battle.  I'd rather maximize my profits and use that base as a stable money-maker than lower my profits and basically waste the base just to bankrupt someone else.
If the other player does order bigger planes, then you can increase frequency with a smaller plane and go 1 euro below their price.

LOT 737-300

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 06:15:55 pm
I see what you're saying if you're talking about a route with only 2 people on it, but if there's more than 2 it's a losing battle.  I'd rather maximize my profits and use that base as a stable money-maker than lower my profits and basically waste the base just to bankrupt someone else.
If the other player does order bigger planes, then you can increase frequency with a smaller plane and go 1 euro below their price.
Not if you have over 300 routes from that hub, plus some 150-200 out of your others.  ;)

MAXAir

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 07:01:01 pm
Not if you have over 300 routes from that hub, plus some 150-200 out of your others.  ;)
Really?  Look at me in W8 ;)

Jubaka

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 08:38:44 am
Hey, this game really isn't about going low-cost. It's a totally different world in the real world. I guess if you want to replicate it here it would just be too damn complicated.  :roll:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk