Airline Mogul Forum

FSX unrecoverable stall!

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
on: August 17, 2011, 06:30:18 pm
Have you ever experienced an unrecoverable stall in FSX, just like the AF 447 flight? I have, and trust me, it is unrecoverable (Well, unless you go to the map and change the airspeed and altitude :P ). Video is coming up!
Sincerely, Mastafa

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:37:10 pm
Yes, I did by flying a 747 up to 41000 feet. It just fell and fell and fell and fell. After hitting the ocean about 10-15 times (with crashes off), I managed to recover the stall. That's a drop of over 50000 feet. maybe 60000.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:18 pm
I did, in FS9.

I was flying a Scandinavian Airlines 747-400 from LAX to CPH. Somewhere in the middle of the night over northern Canada, while i was cruising on autopilot, the plane suddenly began a slow climb that kept increasing. I didn't react in time, and it went into an unrecoverable stall. I don't know what caused the stall.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

Mastafa

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:57:59 am
I think i know what caused the stall--- The plane gradually slows down [even with 100% throttle :roll:] and it goes into 000KAIS and falls....
Sincerely, Mastafa

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:51:05 am
But why?

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 01:46:34 am
Either a glitch in the auto pilot of some aircraft in fsx. Or with random system errors something vital crashed.

To think of it what about icing on the wing, seems a little classic but honestly how many of us are playing flight sim and turn wing deice on.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 01:31:31 pm
...but honestly how many of us are playing flight sim and turn wing deice on.
I always do - even in the desert :lol:

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 02:35:57 pm
To think of it what about icing on the wing, seems a little classic but honestly how many of us are playing flight sim and turn wing deice on.

The only time I have ever experienced wing-icing was on the ground in a snow storm on the 23rd of December 2010. And the wing-icing was far from enough to get rid of the ice and snow then.
I've never heard of icing in the air though. I have seen ice form on the wing several times, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

But then again, deicing trucks aren't available in FS.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:37:52 pm by Virgin Serbia »

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 09:00:56 pm
If you are in a high altitude above the ocean, this is possible i am guessing. I am not talking about icing on the wing making it so its heavy, or not able to move but maybe the censors get blocked, feeding wrong info to the auto pilot which would cause a problem with the auto throttle.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 09:13:47 pm
If you are in a high altitude above the ocean, this is possible i am guessing.

I doubt the ocean changes anything. At FL300 you are in the jetstream, which often goes all the way round the planet. Air from the ocean will soon find itself over land somewhere, and only hours later over the next ocean...

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 01:24:47 am
Still at high altitudes the air is much colder. In the Air France incident was there not a storm, I remember reading about a possible lightning strike.

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:54:05 am
Still at high altitudes the air is much colder. In the Air France incident was there not a storm, I remember reading about a possible lightning strike.

Thats nothing new either. I have been a passenger, cruising down through Ethiopia and Kenya in huge thunderstorms on MD-11s and 767s several times. That was at 30.000+ feet, and we where usually flying between 2 major cells, in an alley about 500 meters wide. It was bumpy and there were many lightning bolts (it almost seemed like a huge lightbulb was lighting up the clouds), but it was really nothing uncommon. We just rarely have such weather in the Americas, Australasia or Europe.

And while the air at FL300 is really cold, it is also really dry. The problem with icing is on the ground, or during descent or ascent.

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 04:27:36 pm
Possible bad censor reading bad information? I know a b2 went down because of rain, messed up a censor, then it fed the system bad information causing the aircraft to overreact on takeoff, and stall.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk