Airline Mogul Forum

[+] Limit Aircraft Market postings

GoldDragonFly

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: September 29, 2009, 07:20:17 am
I have been thinking about the Aircraft Market postings. Some airlines (not brokers, just normal airlines) purchase 50 aircraft and shifts it directly onto the market to sell at a profit. Now, I for one get kinda annoyed when there are 50 listings of the same aircraft of the same price listed and I am sure some other people do too, so here is my thought:

I have a suggestion to put a limit on amount of listings per airline. For instance, if one airline lists 50 aircraft (which has been happening in alot of the worlds) and its not a broker, it takes up loads of space on the market page and you sometimes end up having to page through pages of listings to view all the market listings. If a limit is set, say a max of 5 or 7 listings per airline, it will give all airlines the same amount of exposure on the market and its fair to everyone.

Maybe have a seperate part for broker listings, possibly have a drop-down menu where you select either the 'Public listings' or 'Broker listings'.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:49:24 pm by MrOrange »

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:10:16 am
The mass aircraft sales are useful when people want to get aircraft quickly. I don't think they are necessarily such a bad thing. Such a limit would also make mass aircraft retirement (for people with hundreds of aircraft) and unofficial brokerage difficult.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:08:19 pm
I wouldn't be in favour of limiting the market in that way, I wouldn't mind adding in however a limited display of each aircraft sold by a single airline to lets say 5. So if airline X is selling A320s a max of 5 will be displayed at once.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

GoldDragonFly

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 12:19:31 pm
Yeah, I like that idea Stephen. It will just make viewing the listings so much easier. People tend to not page all the way to the last page if there are 100s of listings on the market.

I think having a max of 5 displayed will make navigation on the market page so much easier.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:27:54 pm
I can understand your issue with having 100 of one aircraft on a page from the same airline, it doesn't really add anything at all. I was previously thinking of grouping the aircraft by price, but all the user needs to do then is change the price from plane to plane to get around it.
Stephen Murphy

GoldDragonFly

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:34:40 pm
That's why I thought that some form of drop-down menu will make it easier.... or as you mentioned before, displaying only a max of 5 listings per airline, excluding the brokers, if possible.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 07:05:12 pm
You've also brought up only one situation.

Say I have the following B737s that I want to sell...

* Ten 8-year old planes for 50% value (dirt cheap)
* Ten 2-year-old planes for 90% value
* Ten brand new planes for 133% value (solely for profit)

Which 5 planes get listed? What if I'm trying to sell ten planes, each with a different age (in years)?

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

Tiger In Training

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:36 pm
I wouldn't be in favour of limiting the market in that way, I wouldn't mind adding in however a limited display of each aircraft sold by a single airline to lets say 5. So if airline X is selling A320s a max of 5 will be displayed at once.

What if somebody else wants to see the same aircraft type, and sees only 5 listed, yet really there are 50. Think that the 5 will be gone in a flash, one may put a larger price on.

To combat the problem, I know you said that one could just put 50 aircraft on at different prices. What if only X amount of "additions" to the market were permitted by each airline at one time. For instance say this allowance is five. I can have 50 737s all at the same price, but only 5 will show (yet it says more are available). Or I could have 50 737s, 10 A321s, 20 Hotters, 5 A330s and a Fokker 100 (only 5 of each would show, but would inform more are available). But no more, as there would then be more than 5 different editions. It would allow however, 1 A330 at 120%, one at 121%... 125%, and all would show. But it would be limited to those five aircraft, and no other aircraft of any type can be placed for sale.
I doubt many people sell more than 5 different models. Have you managed to follow my suggestion?

What about a search aircraft tool on the used/lease market. Not filter, but tool as in the search aircraft page?

GoldDragonFly

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 10:27:56 pm
What if somebody else wants to see the same aircraft type, and sees only 5 listed, yet really there are 50. Think that the 5 will be gone in a flash, one may put a larger price on.

To combat the problem, I know you said that one could just put 50 aircraft on at different prices. What if only X amount of "additions" to the market were permitted by each airline at one time. For instance say this allowance is five. I can have 50 737s all at the same price, but only 5 will show (yet it says more are available). Or I could have 50 737s, 10 A321s, 20 Hotters, 5 A330s and a Fokker 100 (only 5 of each would show, but would inform more are available). But no more, as there would then be more than 5 different editions. It would allow however, 1 A330 at 120%, one at 121%... 125%, and all would show. But it would be limited to those five aircraft, and no other aircraft of any type can be placed for sale.
I doubt many people sell more than 5 different models. Have you managed to follow my suggestion?

What about a search aircraft tool on the used/lease market. Not filter, but tool as in the search aircraft page?

Mmmm...not really what I had in mind. With regards to the 5 listings - my idea was to set a limit of 5 total listings per airline at a time. Not 5 per type of aircraft. It will be up to you to decide which 5 aircrafts to list, even if you have 20 of one aircraft you want to sell. If 5 aircrafts are sold, you just add another 5 the next day.

I also suggested a different setting for brokers....either a drop down menu with 'Broker Listings' allowing for more than 5 listings, which will be seperate from the normal public market OR have the broker aircraft in the same public market, but maybe with a higher number of listings, say 10 or 15 at a time.

I just think having a normal airline listing 50 aircraft on the public market is unfair towards other airlines who want to list 1 or 2. If I see that on the public market and its not a broker, I just close it as I am not going to page through loads of pages to see what else is there, since all I can see is 50 Airbus aircraft, all at the same price.

That is why I had the original suggestion of a seperate broker market. If you want to look at what brokers have available, you know where to look where you can see 20/30/50 listings of one type of aircraft AND having max 5 listings by other airlines will just make it an easier and smoother process to view on the public market.

Tiger In Training

• Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:59:47 pm
But what if an airline is replacing a fleet of 50, it could take over a week to sell them due to when one can log on. It's not uncommon to see 20 or so used aircraft, but seeing 50, under 6monyhs old is annoying.

dktc

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 12:10:48 am
As I have suggested before, simply force everyone to trade through broker would have solved this....
... oh wait... that wouldn't be favourable since it would limit the market ;)
D Express (id 616) 8)
AM Membership Officer / Official Broker

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 03:42:17 am
It seems to me that the problem here is people buying aircraft and reselling them new (not the real second hand aircraft). I would propose a different feature whereby people can broker aircraft in advance (maybe even giving the official brokers discounts...), and sell them in a separate market (on a separate page). The aircraft could then even be autolisted. Similar to the PFL system I suppose.

Each purchase order would be grouped when it appears on the market, with a column indicating how many are available in each gouping. Clicking on the Buy button would bring the user to a page where they could specify how many of the aircraft they wish to purchase.

On thinking about it, it may actually work if you had the grouped new aircraft together in the same market with the second hand ones and an option to sort between the advanced brokered aircraft and ones simply put up for sale.

This system could be applied to leasing (really just the existing PFL system combined with the idea of gouping the aircraft on Leasing Market page). It would be good for sellers, as they would have autolisted aircraft and for the buyers as they could by in bulk new aircraft. In terms of changes to the aircraft market page, the only thing would be a colum to indicte how many aircraft are available in a grouping. I think the most difficult part would be coding.

GoldDragonFly

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 07:13:54 am
But what if an airline is replacing a fleet of 50, it could take over a week to sell them due to when one can log on. It's not uncommon to see 20 or so used aircraft, but seeing 50, under 6monyhs old is annoying.

Even if you have a large number to sell with a max amount of 5 listings at a time, it will also slow down the speed of the game a bit, I think. Might be a good idea to have a column indicating the amount of this aircraft available, etc.

What could possibly solve the 50 listings under 6 months old problem, would be to have a time constraint on new aircraft, for instance if you purchase a new aircraft, you can not list it until its a minimum age of 6 months.... What do you think of that? It will immediately eliminate the large amount of new aircraft listings, plus no one is going to keep unused 50 aircraft and wait 6 game months to list it, so it will make people re-think their strategy first of all.

As I have suggested before, simply force everyone to trade through broker would have solved this....
... oh wait... that wouldn't be favourable since it would limit the market ;)

This could work, but if you look at the statistics of daily requests/purchases, would the brokers be able to 'service' all the airlines in the world, taking into consideration the delivery time, the financial aspect, etc.? Will this not create a possible delay in delivery times, if there are 100s of requests per day, especially in a public world?

It seems to me that the problem here is people buying aircraft and reselling them new (not the real second hand aircraft). I would propose a different feature whereby people can broker aircraft in advance (maybe even giving the official brokers discounts...), and sell them in a separate market (on a separate page). The aircraft could then even be autolisted. Similar to the PFL system I suppose.

Each purchase order would be grouped when it appears on the market, with a column indicating how many are available in each gouping. Clicking on the Buy button would bring the user to a page where they could specify how many of the aircraft they wish to purchase.

On thinking about it, it may actually work if you had the grouped new aircraft together in the same market with the second hand ones and an option to sort between the advanced brokered aircraft and ones simply put up for sale.

This system could be applied to leasing (really just the existing PFL system combined with the idea of gouping the aircraft on Leasing Market page). It would be good for sellers, as they would have autolisted aircraft and for the buyers as they could by in bulk new aircraft. In terms of changes to the aircraft market page, the only thing would be a colum to indicte how many aircraft are available in a grouping. I think the most difficult part would be coding.

Wow! It sounds  a bit complicated but its got potential to work I think, however won't it just be easier to have a type of search page where you complete details what you're looking for to purchase, i.e. manufacturer, age limit, purchase price, etc. and when you click on search it will bring up all the listings within your search criteria?

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:28:15 am
Similar to the PFL system I suppose.

Don't forget that the normal user cannot access PFL so may not know what it is. Also you seem to be implying that the difference between an official broker and a normal user would be removed in some parts.
Stephen Murphy

CHR

• Brokers
  • Airline Supervisor
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:39:12 am
I don't think it is a good idea limit to only 5 or so aircraft. Large airlines will be able to sell many more than this per day without a limit. This will mainly serve to disadvantage small airlines, as they get more benefit out of cheap aircraft than the large seling airlines get.

The search function is a useful extra, but there needs to remain an ability to view all (which can be part of the search), so people can browse the planes available. This means there needs to be a way of limiin the number of planes there.

There probably would be some removal of differences between brokers if the idea were to be fully implemented. However, I think the system could be modified depending on what abilities one wants to give to normal users.

All this said, if one knows which aircraft are popular (and therefore clog up the market), they can just filter them out with the current filter tool.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk