Airline Mogul Forum

GCM Question

jghastings

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: November 09, 2014, 10:35:06 pm
In PW #2903 I have a large airline with 2247 routes and counting. For a while the map stopped showing on my View Airline screen, which I assumed was because there were simply too many routes for it to cope. However, the map has now re-appeared, but with the networks from some hubs gone:

Again, I assume this has something to do with the sheer number of routes, but my question is whether anyone knows why it has chosen some hubs but ignored others?

It can't be alphabetical bias, as it is ignoring airports at either end of the alphabet whether you use the ICAO or IATA code. It's not to do with the order in which I opened them, as it has dropped all of the Australian routes which were opened before the Asian ones that are showing. It's showing Asian routes as I open them, but is ignoring the ones I'm setting up in Johannesburg. Even within continents, it has chosen to drop a load of routes out of the Hawaiian airports, but is showing some of the ones in Alaska that I set up more recently.

The routes all show when you go to the map for the individual hub airports, so it seems to be just this big whole-airline one that is behaving strangely.

Any ideas?
ID: 8330

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:16:05 pm
That does seem weird, I have no explanation for it. Maybe Stephen can answer? It could be that he has made it remove some routes in order to show the map even with more than 2000 routes

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 04:14:27 am
I have taken a look at the code and the sort order is a little strange, I'm scratching my head trying to think why I set it up to be this way.

It sorts by departing airport (Airport ID specifically) and limits the map to 2,000 airports. We have found going over 2,000 will cause the map to break. We could increase that limit fractionally more, but because some airports use IATA codes and some ICAO, the extra character in the ICAO codes limits how many times a larger route map will actually display.

We could change the sort to ensure the most recent routes are included and the oldest disappear, that might have more value as I feel people are more interested in their latest route developments rather than their first.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

jghastings

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 11:00:33 am
Most recent could work, or perhaps sort descending by route distance if that's an option? Shorter routes just appear as a mass of red on airlines that are of the size that will be affected by this, so they're probably more interested in seeing the longer-range routes to show the reach of their network rather than its local intensity around hubs.

When I say "they" I am of course just extending my own opinions onto others  :lol:
ID: 8330

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk