Airline Mogul Forum

MD Withdrawl Data

pilotguy121a

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: April 09, 2011, 03:56:02 pm
I've searched and went through the Game Data to find an answer but I could not. I do feel it was discussed before though, or maybe not due to the unpopularity of the MD aircraft, especially the MD-90s. My concern is focused not on the data of the aircraft, which is admittedly a tad off, but rather the withdrawal date of the MD-90s. It is true that they first flew in 1994, but when Boeing and MD merged, the 737 was favored over the MDs, and therefore no MDs were ordered. They were being produced for Sudia Arabian Airlines but no orders were being accepted and the MD-90s were phased out. So this conflicts with the 2014 data in the game. I mean, there are many sources that say this, wikipedia, aerospace-tech, ect.
http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/mcdonneldouglasmd90/
"Boeing and McDonnell Douglas merged in 1997. The production of MD-90 took place adjacent to the Long Beach Airport of California, while two aircraft MD-90-30 Trunkliner's were built at Jiangwan Airfield in Shanghai, China. The production was phased out in 2000 after delivery of the last aircraft to Saudi Arabian airlines."

Like I said, its not a big deal because players normally favor Airbus or Boeing, but a bit of realism never hurt.

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:35:28 pm
We use a flat formula for withdrawn date, which is service entry date + 20 years. I suppose we could amend them to real withdrawal dates, but it just saved a lot of time researching when that point is reached.
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:13:16 pm
McDonnell and the MD-90 failed because nobody bought them. Problem is, in-game many players buy them. So if the plane is popular and well selling, McDonnell would theoretically still be alive ;)

If anything, aircraft should be modified only if they remain in production (In Real Life) for more than 20 years.

Now we are at it, the most recent Il-62 (i've heard of) was completed around 2005 or 2007 for the Sudanese government.

The Il-76 is still in production

The An-12 is in currently production in China as the Y-8.

The Lockheed L-100 (C-130) is still in production as the C-130J, however the last L-100 was delivered in 1992. A C-130J-30 based civilian airliner was in development, but cancelled due to lack of interest in 2000.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:26:45 pm by Virgin Serbia »
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

pilotguy121a

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:59:58 pm
AH, I didn't know a formula was used for withdrawal too, makes sense though, there is too much conflicting data to sort through, especially for those earlier aircraft.

and Virgin Serbia, I didn't think of it that way, very good point.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk