Airline Mogul Forum

Massive fleet sizes

islandflyer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: February 21, 2009, 11:53:32 am
I've been playing for a short while (PW166, Paradise Caribbean), and have quietly grown my fleet up to 11, and frankly am happy with my progress thus far. But I am really curious about some other airlines that have huge fleets, not to mention almost every aircraft type under the sun. Why such large fleets? Why so many types? Why a world-dominance route structure?

It would be interesting to me why people do that.

Jps

• Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:02:44 am
I've been playing for a short while (PW166, Paradise Caribbean), and have quietly grown my fleet up to 11, and frankly am happy with my progress thus far. But I am really curious about some other airlines that have huge fleets, not to mention almost every aircraft type under the sun. Why such large fleets? Why so many types? Why a world-dominance route structure?

It would be interesting to me why people do that.

One word. Fun.  :D

ID: 5000 ~ Flying Beyond The Stars

Australis

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:10:34 pm
Isn't that the goal to be the best? and a good way to be #1 is to have a huge fleet with optimum all over 100% loadfactor and also the maximum profit...
because: the more aircraft means the more profit means the more airline value means the better rank on reports-screen ;)

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:17:03 pm
because: the more aircraft means the more profit means the more airline value means the better rank on reports-screen ;)

Here is an equation I tell people starting out...

More flights = more money = more planes = more flights

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

islandflyer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:06:16 pm
Oh, I see... so the answer is GREED.

I am also having fun, but my motivation is to try to create a realistic airline, using a fleet mix and routing structure that makes sense for my carrier and ultimate purpose, to bring people to my sunny Paradise. That is why operating a Concorde from Barbados to Beijing, China just because I can isn't quite appealing to me.

Nevertheless I press on with my idealistic dribble.

islandflyer

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 02:12:46 pm
whatever floats your boat

Alouette Aviation - Österreichische Wetterstrecken - Blå Løve Luftveje - Imperskiye Nebesa

StephenM

• Administrator
  • Airline Board Member
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 02:34:06 pm

Take a look at objectives of business. You'll see massive fleet sizes make sense. ;)
Stephen Murphy
Airline Mogul Chief Developer

pp123123

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 02:36:16 pm
I am Particles Air (the same world: W166) with over 200 aircrafts. The moltivation for me, is looking at the huge route map~

YX Ramper

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 05:19:51 am
Massive fleet size works in this game because your company is not penalized for being too big or having too wierd a fleet. Airport congestion problems should cost you money, labor problems and weather should cause delays, a bad economy should cause low load factors, and having many types of planes should cost additional maintainance costs for EACH type of plane.

This system is fun to be in, but it's way too easy.

ed1984

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 01:06:45 am

The answer is not GREED,   the answer is Business! If you CAN create a well organized good quality large fleet, and have destinations all over the world,  you would!   Plus, its fun aswell! 

Yes, Airline Mogul is an easy game... but there's nothing unrealistic about trying to create a big fleet.

YX Ramper

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 03:06:55 am
This system allows you to create massive fleets, without the restrictions of the real world. It does take away from the pleasure of creating something that could be real. Runway lengths and landing rights are not factors in this system, so you can land the biggest plane you can buy anywhere. Even my little Potez's need more runway then some of these airports have, and the jets need at least twice as much. I've got competitors flying Tu-114's and 707's into airports my plane shouldn't be able to land at!

The other issue is landing rights at domestic airports, it just can't happen like it does in the game.

This system seems to be heading in the right direction, and I enjoy it, but it is way too easy. 

islandflyer

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 03:22:37 am
True, it is a little too easy, but nevertheless, fun in its own right.

yourefired

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 11:33:00 pm
The game's too easy and gets boring past the first, oh, 12 days, when it becomes an exercise of changing prices every hour.

Air Canada, LLC (Private W224)

balaji

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 05:14:48 am
for me anything is OK
big fleets or small fleets or profit or loss anything

i enjoy the game a lot

i ve learned a lot from it

as long you enjoy the game you are a winner!!!!
capt Balaji Naidoo
founder and excecutive chairman of the BN GROUP

iranair777

• Brokers
  • Airline Senior Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 12:05:17 pm
my aim is always to fly to every airport in the world. thus the massive fleet sizes I have. The most amount of aircraft I've ever had is about 1000 (when the world was about to end and I had money to spare so I went and brought hundreds of  single propellor aircraft  :P )

but for serious playing the most I have is about 300-400

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk