Airline Mogul Forum

Please critique my airline?

metallurgy

• Airline Operative
  • Happy flying!
    • View Profile
on: June 20, 2021, 10:32:16 pm
https://www.airlinemogul.com/show_airline.php?id=32962&wid=3554   PW 3554.  Metalurgy International

I am an experienced player, and know my airline is quite healthy. However, if any advanced/experienced players can look at it, and give me any tips/hints/advice to further it even more, I would be very grateful. Please try to be as detailed as possible in how you think my airline can do better. Always learning, always wanting to get better. In the future, I would like to try for a position on the staff, possibly as moderator, but that still is mostly awhile from now.  lol  Still, it is a future dream.

Thank you for the critique, and as always,

Happy flying!!!   :) :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 10:41:04 pm by metallurgy »

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 10:58:53 pm
If you're trying to min/max your airline, then you're getting there :) Don't forget to firm your options before they expire!
One point of improvement I could add - although unrealistic - is to open hubs very close to each other. For example, Newark and JFK, or Dallas and Houston, since they would share gate costs at the destination. Only minor though, since gate costs are relatively low for an airline your size.

For very short routes, do consider propeller aircraft. The increased speed of jet aircraft is almost never utilized on short hops. Take a look at the route research page to see a comparison of flight times.

metallurgy

• Airline Operative
  • Happy flying!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 11:29:42 pm
Hi. Thank you for your quick response, and advice. I do have some questions, though.

1. What do you mean by "firm my options before they expire?" No idea what you are talking about, sorry.

2. What do you mean close hubs share gate costs? I thought each hub had its own gate costs? I know what you are talking about destinations coming from different airports. I intend to have all my hubs meet at every airport, especially each hub. Yes, I know that will mean a very large amount of planes, but that is what I am striving for. I want to be the biggest and best airline.

3. I looked on the research route tab, but I do not see anywhere where it says or talks about speed. All I see is distance, frequency, and obviously, planes that can fly there. Please explain where you find speed in the research route tab.  Thanks.

Happy flying!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:32:52 pm by metallurgy »

Royal First Fleet

• Airline Operative
  • Royal First Airlines
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 01:22:17 am

1. What do you mean by "firm my options before they expire?" No idea what you are talking about, sorry.

Happy flying!!

It's a part of the new orderbook function in PW3551. But it's not implemented in the pw your playing in.

Royal First Airlines

metallurgy

• Airline Operative
  • Happy flying!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 02:41:10 am
Ok. Thank you, Royal First Fleet.  :) 

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 01:35:48 pm
2. What do you mean close hubs share gate costs? I thought each hub had its own gate costs? I know what you are talking about destinations coming from different airports. I intend to have all my hubs meet at every airport, especially each hub. Yes, I know that will mean a very large amount of planes, but that is what I am striving for. I want to be the biggest and best airline.
I wanted to say that if you have two routes to destination X, then you get twice as many routes per rented gate in destination X - maybe saying they share gate costs is not entirely correct though.

3. I looked on the research route tab, but I do not see anywhere where it says or talks about speed. All I see is distance, frequency, and obviously, planes that can fly there. Please explain where you find speed in the research route tab.  Thanks.
When researching a route, click on any aircraft listed as being able to fly the route. That expands the table a little bit, giving you more information including block time and more.

metallurgy

• Airline Operative
  • Happy flying!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 08:03:40 pm
as per using the research route tab, pertaining to speed and block time, I did expand it. However, I did not really see the advantage in speed you had said if I wwere to use a turboprop I thought I would see. I know turboprops would be a few hundred miles per hour slower, but I would believe using a jet going around 500+ could make 2 flights to the single route of a turboprop, hence make more money, even if it is around 5k-20k more.  It all adds up in the end for more profit...at least that's the way I saw it. If you can put more detail into your thought process, to maybe make me see it more like you, I may see things a bit differently.

Thank you for your tips.

Happy flying!!

p.s.   Ohhhh.  I forgot to take into account the longer turnaround times for jets. So, that would make the block time a little better for turboprops, i guess. I can see how just that alone may swing into the turboprop favor.  I shall see, and let you know how it's going.  Thanks again.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 10:26:19 am
The way block time used to be calculated was easy: Max speed times distance equals block time.
But that's hardly realistic. Block time is now calculated taking into account taxi time, climb, cruise, descent and taxi time again. Acceleration is taken into account (A Concorde would take a couple of hours to fly 2000 km).

Add to that the higher cost of jets, then it makes more sense to use a turboprop for short routes, despite them taking longer. Turboprops are cheaper to buy.

Of course, with the overheated economy presented in AM, you don't lose by using jets :)

metallurgy

• Airline Operative
  • Happy flying!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 02:47:23 pm
Thank you for the detailed explanation.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk