Airline Mogul Forum

At what point to do you edit a route to get to 100% load?

gisa · 6 · 1834

gisa

• Airline Operative
  • "You can have it all but how much do you want it?"
    • View Profile
Hi All,

I'm a bit of a noobie, so please excuse this question if it's been asked before.

In theory, keeping a 100% loadfactor makes the most profit in the game right?

Sometimes my competitors upgrade their planes, or a new one comes into town.  That obviously changes my loadfactor in a negative way.

However, marketing fees can be a bit costly and so, I wonder if it's worth editing a route if my loadfactor changes by 2-5%.  Sometimes, I think out of spite that it's worth it to edit the route (to make my competitors consider tossing their chips in and relevelling the playing field).

Mathematically, I figure it pays for itself after one real day or two, but then if someone else is forced to edit their route, it might be cyclical...

Thoughts?

Mr. Gisa ^^
Gisa Airlines: Gateway Into South Africa!
Sky Knights: The sky is the bottom limit!

skywaker9

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:55:30 am
I change them constantly as the bigger you get the more that matters.  A tip, if you change them and someone immediately changes them back, wait 20 minutes and edit them again since chances are they will have gone offline...

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:25:41 am
I change them constantly as the bigger you get the more that matters.  A tip, if you change them and someone immediately changes them back, wait 20 minutes and edit them again since chances are they will have gone offline...

I'll be sure to return 25 minutes later, then.

If you need to adjust your fares multiple times a day, you will eventually reach a point where you will actually lose money because you won't be able to make up the marketing costs.

Early in the game, I try to keep it near 100%. Middle of the game, I'll do my best to adjust anything below 75%, but may turn to 50%. By the end of the game, I'll only change routes that don't have a profit or have single-digit loads.

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

gisa

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:20:48 pm
Hehehe you both made me laugh.  Actually, your suggestion makes a lot of sense Skywaker.  What if someone has access to the internet 16 hours a day though? :D

Pseudoswede, your advice is excellent and I will adapt it.

Last question to ask (this is about strategy).  Seeing as big cities draw a lot of competition, there are two general strategies I can see to make a lot of money:

1) go for the big cities with the best planes
2) go for the smaller cities with efficient planes
3) a mix of both (my current strategy)

What would you recommend?  I'm pleased with my progress so far (for my first time).  I might change my strategy in a later game but what would you guys recommend?

Mr. Gisa ^^

Gisa ^^

Hal

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 03:08:55 pm
You strategy has one error, bigger cities are high crowded with a lot of competition (look at routes like ORD - DTW, PHX - LAS). Some routes to middle cities with less competition can give you more money.

Don't buy expensive planes like B727-200, rather go to two B737-200 they can bring you more money.

Central Europe Brokerage, official broker, ID15523.

gisa

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 07:32:25 am
I didn't see the reply to this topic.  I have it notified...guess I'll have to play around with the options...anyhow I find it funny that I ordered my first 737 before I read this post after noticing the cost of both and the cities I wish to serve. :D

I definitely agree that going with smaller cities can be quite profitable even if there isn't a high demand, because low supply = higher prices and my f-27's are fairly cheap. :)

8)

Gisa ^^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk