Airline Mogul Forum

What is the best Homebase?

wbmc1 · 15 · 4846

wbmc1

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
on: April 12, 2010, 12:50:31 am
Just wondering. What is the best in terms of population and stuff for a beginning home base? Tell me what you think!

AirbusGuy350

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:30:23 am
I would have to say that Atlanta and london are the best home bases. I say Atlanta because it has the highest number passengers and because there are very large airports near by such as chicago and Los Angeles. I would say London Heathrow because it is a very large airport and there are a ton of large to medium airports under 2000nm away from it.

wbmc1

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:55:56 am
I almost always go for Houston Hobby cause there are loads of airports. Small, medium, and Large. I normally do private worlds though. Anyway anyone else?

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
  • Play to win, not imitate.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:50:32 am
If you want to be in the top of the rankings, you must base at 350k airports. Zero exceptions.

The case against HOU (besides being too small) is that there is that large black hole called the Gulf of Mexico almost swallowing up two cardinal directions of potential nearby airports--which is also why LHR isn't the greatest of starting airports, either).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:01:48 am by pseudoswede »

Planet Express Airways
Member of the FT Alliance
ID: 3446

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.
If you do not wish for either, then feel free to ignore.

wbmc1

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:26:37 am
I know later on you have to go for the bigger airports, but whats your first choice ie Homebase when you first join a world? Mine is actually usually cincinatti

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:09:03 pm
Misread that last post...

In a full public world, I start with ORD because it's central (ATL suffers from being too close to the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico). Once I have about 100-150 routes, I open ATL. Repeat for DFW, then LAX, then open JFK/LAS/DEN in no particular order.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:16:38 am by pseudoswede »

Planet Express Airways

Opinions expressed in my posts are suggestions to achieve maximum airline value and top rankings.

AirbusGuy350

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 01:39:33 am
What about Frankfurt or Paris? they are in the middle of europe and are 350k. I am usually top 15 in the worlds and I am based in paris almost all the time either that or Frankfurt.

pseudoswede

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 04:47:06 am
While Europe is a decent starting point, the top 7 European airports pale in comparison to the top 7 North American airports.

Planet Express Airways

RobertCooper

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:22:10 am
If you want to be in the top of the rankings, you must base at 350k airports. Zero exceptions.

NOT TRUE!

With some work, you can base at airports between 200K-350K/gate and still climb to the top of the leaderboard. I wouldn't suggest starting at an airport that's already used as another airline as their hub, otherwise, you'd be hard-pressed with some stiff competition. Nor would I suggest starting anywhere less than 200K/gate.

HUBS:
Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): Main hub ($300,000/gate)
Detroit-Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW): Secondary hub ($300,000/gate)
New York- John F. Kennedy (JFK): Eastern hub ($300,000/gate)
Lambert St. Louis (STL): "Budget" hub, ($200,000/gate)

Whenever I start an airline here, I always pick MSP as my homebase. Why? MSP is rarely picked as a homebase, for reasons still unknown to me. The second-place airline in my scenario picked all of the American 350K airports (except ATL) plus some strategic 300K airports for his bases. He was in first for a while, until I bumped him out of there. Even though I lag behind him in fleet size and passenger volume, my airline's value is still tops.

In a nutshell, it's more about using your bases to their fullest extent. Pick a good hub, and fly to as many airports as you can find. Size up all your destinations and use the most appropriate aircraft for the place (using regional jets to fly to 50K/gate airports, and such).

Not only that, you need to KEEP GROWING. Your value can't grow if your airline doesn't grow. Keep on adding to your fleet and adding more routes as you go along.

Airline Mogul - See my airline

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 11:00:22 am
Don't listen to them. The best homebase is a small african airport, with max 2 mio pax. More of a challenge, and if you succeed, all the women will want you.
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

jayceon

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 04:52:19 pm

The case against HOU (besides being too small) is that there is that large black hole called the Gulf of Mexico almost swallowing up two cardinal directions of potential nearby airports--which is also why LHR isn't the greatest of starting airports, either).

Well, I don't really agree with you on the LHR part. Yes, there's a sea on almost every side but it's a very small one. From LHR (island) to CDG (mainland) is just 216nm. And if you know what you're doing you can be #1 with a Europe based airline. I do agree with the 350k airports part. At least when you're in a competitive world with a lot of airlines.

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 01:59:54 am
The best home base is where you want it to be.

Alouette Aviation - Österreichische Wetterstrecken - Blå Løve Luftveje - Imperskiye Nebesa

Virgin Serbia

• Airline Manager
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 07:19:04 am
The best home base is where you want it to be.

Well said! But what if that place already has 50 competing airlines based there?
O0 Lotus Airlines of India (PW#2650) •

Shawa

• Airline Operative
  • Worldair Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Worldair Alliance
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 09:11:14 am
Then roll your sleeves up, it's gonna be a rough ride.

Alouette Aviation - Österreichische Wetterstrecken - Blå Løve Luftveje - Imperskiye Nebesa

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 11:44:10 am
Usually, when I join a new world, before joining, I look in the world stats which airports has most airlines based, and most flights. From that information, I choose which airport i will join in.
That means I join an airport with little competition, allowing me to grow quicker.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk