Airline Mogul Forum

[OPEN]Realistic World v3 - PW#2096

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 09:32:15 pm
Can we have a definitive time line for this World to start?

Am happy to help but there is another New World, open to all already with 17 players operating.

I like the thrust of competition and growth, am MORE than happy to wait a few more days... after that, I may leave.

FBN747

steex

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 02:43:16 am
Can we have a definitive time line for this World to start?

Am happy to help but there is another New World, open to all already with 17 players operating.

I like the thrust of competition and growth, am MORE than happy to wait a few more days... after that, I may leave.

FBN747

I'd be happy to see this world get started soon as well.

In my opinion, Matias, you can just select whichever era and aircraft you see fit and I'm sure we'll all be happy to play with that setup.  If I need to change my airline plans slightly to match, so be it - after all, a real airline has to be reactive!  It's no different than all the airlines that had big plans hinging around the A380 or 787, then were forced to scramble when the birds were late.

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 04:22:44 am
I think it would be nice to start with a aircraft with some kind of range. Like 3k plus, I would like to try to make a airline that is as longhaul as i can get.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
    • Train pins and tie clips
Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 04:46:53 pm

I'd be happy to see this world get started soon as well.

In my opinion, Matias, you can just select whichever era and aircraft you see fit and I'm sure we'll all be happy to play with that setup.  If I need to change my airline plans slightly to match, so be it - after all, a real airline has to be reactive!  It's no different than all the airlines that had big plans hinging around the A380 or 787, then were forced to scramble when the birds were late.
I like this idea. If no one objects, I might do that.

Can we have a definitive time line for this World to start?...
I think the world will start in a couple of days, at most in the next weekend.

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 09:58:52 pm
Perfect, am more than happy to wait and join this game from day 1.

i will be an active, fair and regular player.

I gotta new logo too!

Can't wait.

FBN747

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 07:21:43 pm
The world will open in two days when I have enough tokens. The starting plane will be revealed tomorrow together with all remaining details.

Enjoy your last free time until then ;)

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 10:24:08 pm
Brilliant news!

Look forward to my last two days of sanity, non planning and plans to take over the WORLD......

hehe.

As a quick aside, looking through the rules, Surely what ever frequency each airline wishes to fly between cities is down to the airline operator?
I am ALL for a realistic World, however I work for an Airline and we do NOT fly 8x multile frequencies between even big cities (think shorthaul) AND this game does NOT support multi frequencies to help maximise profits.

If for example, an airline starts in ATL, even with it's huge home 80M plus pax advantage, that will very quickly be eroded if carriers based there, or nearby operate 5x frequencies.

I really want to play and participate in this game, been looking forward to it.  But if I have to operate 2x frequencies to every city I fly too, then my enjoyment would be severely curtailed.

If therefore you would prefer me not to play, just drop me a PM and I will pull out.
No hard feelongs etc.

FBN747
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:35:02 pm by Flybynight747 »

steex

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 04:08:52 am
It's up to each player, but I'd say 2x is probably an absolute minimum on routes of moderate length if they connect major airports.  To me, the idea is to accept that the level of profit (and rapid growth) afforded by "normal" play on AM is unrealistic in and of itself, so you try to find the best balance.  In the past, when I had an airline based in HND, I flew at least 4x daily to airports like PEK, PVG, ICN, HKG using 2 widebodies and 2 narrowbodies.  A route like HND-SIN used all the time on an A310-200 by itself to fly at 1.5 frequency, and even then I still used another 0.5 from a second A310 to get to 2x daily.  I flew major intra-Japan domestic routes like HND-KIX at 4x daily on a mix of narrowbodies and ERJs and tried to fly smaller routes at least 3x daily on the ERJ (using slightly smaller birds can help increase frequency without flooding with seats - maybe ORD-DTW is better served with 4-5x E75 than 2x A320).  When it came to longhaul, I made virtually every route at least 1x daily, even ones that were long enough to require two birds at 0.5x like HND-IAD.  However, I don't think anyone holds reduced frequency on longhaul against you.

Of course, this is all just my opinion - you should be here to have fun and try something different!  It's not your problem if I'm sour about people who fly 1-2x on routes out of a HUGE hub like ATL while I'm making virtually zero money flying 3x or 4x daily on tiny intra-Iran routes...that's my problem.;)  (In reality, I don't care what other people do unless they regularly show up with unrealistic operations on the same routes as me and sap my ability to make money on my few profitable routes.)

While on the subject, I personally would like people to stick to realistic routes as well - don't just throw 2x A319 from ATL to every airport in the USA, including ones listed with as few as zero passengers, simply because you can rake flying from ATL to anywhere.  That's probably my biggest pet peave as the ultimate goal here is a realistic network.

I'd say there are also realistic scenarios for 1x daily, by the way.  If you have a hub structure of SEA/DFW/ORD/ATL, it probably makes sense to have multiple daily flights from ATL, ORD, and DFW to an airport like MCI.  You probably can't really justify multiple dailies on SEA-MCI, but it's pretty realistic to supplement spoke service with a single daily flight to more distant hubs.  I've also previously operated 5th Freedom hubs similar to what Delta does at NRT, so I schedule inbound flights to that hub from many cities in my airline's home country, then several of those continue onward to another city in a third country.  In this world, though my airline is based in Iran, I will probably have a hub in Dubai so that I can connect several Iranian cities there and then probably tack on a couple continuing flights to places like Muscat, Jeddah, and Kuwait at 1-2x daily.

Anyhow, I've gotten longwinded enough here!  These are all just my opinions and I'm sure others disagree with some or all of the above.  Regardless, I'd say you should go ahead and play!  It's a fun change of pace from the typical worlds.

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 05:03:07 pm
To be honest, the way I enjoy and understand the dynamics of this game, asking for a minimum of 2x freq on every route utilising whatever aircraft is madness.

Not because that is NOT what real airlines do, just that THIS game play does not support it.

For the record, I am always a fair player, I do not expect to WIN every game I participate in but just enjoy seeing all airlines grow and learn from other players.
Whether you start in ATL, HND or even Iran, it seems pointless to me to under utilise your A/C creating multiple frequencies when you can maximise profits for your airline by ensuring max hours are used.

Like you steex, these are just my musings, it no more makes me right or you wrong.

If the criteria are for a min of 2x freq in this World...

Then I am out.

Will look to make my own World with no minimum or maximum restrictions.

FBN747

Agent Orange

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 08:56:00 pm
To be honest, the way I enjoy and understand the dynamics of this game, asking for a minimum of 2x freq on every route utilising whatever aircraft is madness.

Not because that is NOT what real airlines do, just that THIS game play does not support it.

For the record, I am always a fair player, I do not expect to WIN every game I participate in but just enjoy seeing all airlines grow and learn from other players.
Whether you start in ATL, HND or even Iran, it seems pointless to me to under utilise your A/C creating multiple frequencies when you can maximise profits for your airline by ensuring max hours are used.

Like you steex, these are just my musings, it no more makes me right or you wrong.

If the criteria are for a min of 2x freq in this World...

Then I am out.

Will look to make my own World with no minimum or maximum restrictions.

FBN747

You really should read up more, the whole goal of this world was to limit growth, and become more realistic.

steex

• Airline Operative
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 10:03:37 pm
You really should read up more, the whole goal of this world was to limit growth, and become more realistic.

Like Agent Orange said, the whole purpose of these realistic worlds was to restrict growth.  As I mentioned, the ability for an airline to churn out profit and grow exponentially from the get go is entirely unrealistic.  Southwest Airlines started with a couple of 737's flying intra-Texas and took decades (not to mention acquisitions) to become the behemoth they are now.  If you simply use 1.0 frequencies, you can pretty much recreate the Southwest route map on AM in probably 2 or 3 game years.  The idea of this world is to act like a more realistic airline, complete with the financial repercussions.

For those of us that have played in the past incarnations of the realistic world, I think we tend to find it more challenging, interesting, and fun.  It's about building the airlines we want to build, not about trying to get the most out of the fairly unrealistic opportunities AM can allow.

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 10:19:02 pm
The world will open on Thursday, October 20th 22hrs GMT (18hrs EDT). Please check the first post for additional details!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:20:18 pm by 1993matias »

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 09:20:08 pm
The world is now open
Check first post for all needed information. Or you could just leave a question :D

Flybynight747

• Airline Operative
  • FLY 747s
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 10:16:29 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

OUCH!

My long post has been summarised in to one sentence.

I do not feel the need to 'read up more'.
Rather, I will check on your World and see how you are all doing flying 8x frequencies to 50K gates.

REAL Airlines do not flood destinations that cannot support 8 daily services with prop or jet A/C.

Enjoying this game has nothing to do with HOW you fly, the real fun comes from building a strong Airline.

Good luck to you all, enjoy and have fun.

FBN747

1993matias

• Airline Mogul Staff
  • Airline Senior Manager
  • Play to have fun!
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 10:30:14 pm
This world is meant to be fun while simulating a real-world airline. I am sorry if this disappoints you, but if you had read a bit more about Realistic World v2 and v1, you would have understood the concept.

Of course, if a route (like London City-Lille) isn't good enough for 2x+ freq, it is okay to just fly once a day. It isn't prohibited to use less than 2x freq, but it is advice not to do so. I do not check if any other player flies enough freq, as this is meant to be fun, not a dictatorship.

I am not blaming you, but please don't rant about this world not being as you expected.

PS: Take a look in five game years and look at our neat, massive airlines.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk